Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a player applauds a good shot, is it just me or, does it seem rather patronising or mocking to the other player. Let's say Player A is steamrolling Player B but Player B then makes a good shot; when Player A applauds does it seem like Player A is thinking "You're losing so I'll clap just to make you feel better". Maybe it's just me but a comment during the change up, when they cross paths, "Good shot at 15-30" might come off as more sincere.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I wouldn't put that much thought into it. I don't think it's really about when they're winning or losing, sometimes an unbelievable shot just incites that kind of reaction regardless of your position in the match. Especially as a player when you know exactly how tough those shots are to make.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
It's just you. I've seen Djokovic for instance applaud shots plenty of times, never really seemed to be any mockery in it. Maybe there are some players that do what you said though, it's possible.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
I've never got the impression that one player was mocking the other by doing this. I don't think it's that common for the losing player to get annoyed for being applauded either (since in most cases he already knows he played a good shot and does deserve acknowledgment for it).

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
When a player applauds a good shot, is it just me or...
It's just you.

You can choose to be cynical and paranoid but the fact is, usually, when Djoker or other players are applauding their opponent it is kinda obvious that that is a true complement. Everyone in the arena is most likely also acknowledging and applauding it and in any case the knowledgeable persons (including the opponent himself) recognize that it was a good shot.

·
Premium Member
21,474 Posts
When a player applauds a good shot, is it just me or, does it seem rather patronising or mocking to the other player. Let's say Player A is steamrolling Player B but Player B then makes a good shot; when Player A applauds does it seem like Player A is thinking "You're losing so I'll clap just to make you feel better".
That would be true if the Player is doing it only when steamrolling Player B, however players who do it, are usually doing it regardless of who is steamrolling who :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's not just you. I think it's an incredibly patronising thing to do. Even when there is no steamrolling going on. One of the many reasons I hate Djokovic is his dumb applause. It's like saying "aww well done man, you finally got one past me". It's incredibly disrespectful.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
It's not just you. I think it's an incredibly patronising thing to do. Even when there is no steamrolling going on. One of the many reasons I hate Djokovic is his dumb applause. It's like saying "aww well done man, you finally got one past me". It's incredibly disrespectful.
Same feeling here...

Almost as bad and fake as the **** hugs :eek:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It's not disrespectful, not to me at least. Whenever I play tennis, I always say "Nice shot" or something similar. Applause is just another way of doing that.

·
Premium Member
21,474 Posts
He does that even when he's losing, it can hardly be said "finally got one" then :)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Depends. For example, when it's blink and miss a la Clijsters, it's totally fine IMO.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
more often than not, when i applaud someone's shot in the league, im thinking, "bastard, hope he doesn't do more of that."

So no, I don't think it's entirely genuine unless it's 6-0, 5-0 40-15.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It depends when. When Djokovic does it it's always complimentary. Isner doing it against Mahut was real appreciation. It's sometimes done mockingly though.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I dont like it. I feel the player at whom it is directed at gains nothing, only an idea that either the clapper is sucking up to him, or is trying do jinx him, divert his attention or something. the clapper, I feel might be doing it to congratulate an opponent, sure, but he also might be using it for some other, self-psycho-boost reason. with novak I guess he is doing it for both reasons.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
I don't care about it.
This post is useless, I know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You're reading too much into it. To me it's just a way of gesturing, "wow that was a good shot".

·
Registered
757 Posts
how in fucking hell can someone blame a player who is applauding a good shot from the opponent? some people are so narrow-minded, unbelievable. there is not one single reason not to do it. stupid people.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
ok. Once and for All

The reason why some players are applauding a good shot made by their oponent is because:

1. When they started training tennis early as 6-7years , there are tennis clubs where the tennis coach is teaching them fair play, respect on court and this is one thing that's very appreciated by some tennis "teachers"..

It is meant to teach also the player to respect the game, when a good shot is made, it's a good-excellent shot and it should be applauded by making the gesture.
It does make sense cause at some clubs those young kids are thought to be warriors, to be means and hate the opponent which uses up quickly and the kid often suffers and starts even to hate the game and everything ..

Therefore today you still have players who are having that habit (applauding good shot no matter if you are losing or the opponent is losing) and in fact, it's just a habit and automatism they're not giving much thought to it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts