• Double Head

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a debate with my Mum :)o) Over who can be considered the greater player Pete 'Aperas' Sampras or Andre 'Double Head' Agassi :)p) I asked her whether Aperas is greater as he has won the record number og GS's or DH as he has won on all surfaces. She decided to go for Aperas for the record no. of GS. However I was watching ATP Tennis yesterday and there was an interview with John Newcombe who said he wouldn't even put Aperas in the Top 6 of the greatest of all time as he has nver won the French. Personally I would go for DH as he has unlike Aperas won on all surfaces.

Opinions?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
why Aperas? why Doublehead? just want to understand your nicknames.

i agree with Newk and also give the nod to Andre for having won on all surfaces.

·
Registered
22,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Aperas cos of his gorrilla like chest hair and Double Head coz well he has 2 heads *shrugs*

:p

Android is good too though ;)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
2 heads? :confused:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Do you mean one is his normal head and one is his racquet?

I think theres a case for both, but I would put number of Grand Slams ahead of different surfaces. There was a discussion about this before, about whether 3 french opens are better than a wimbledon and a us open, and most people agreed that 3 grand slams were better than 2 regardless of surface. So i think 14 would definitely be better than 8. Not to mention the 6 years or so at #1.

·
Registered
22,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His head seems unusually bumpy and double headed to me, but maybe it's just me then lol :eek:

I didn't think about Aperas' long stint @ number 1.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Well I vote Sampras, for not only having won 13 slams, but being so dominant for so many years.

Agassi never did that - he might have had the talent to do it, but his brain escaped him- aside from some brief bursts (1995)- untill about 1999 ;)

If Agassi had 11 or 12 slams, I would find the comparison a little more difficult.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Sampras.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sampras

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sampras

they both played/play in the same era and at his best Pete always has beaten Andre at his best. 6 years straight number 1 and 14 slams as Nimi say speaks for itself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Rebecca said:
Well I vote Sampras, for not only having won 13 slams, but being so dominant for so many years.

Agassi never did that - he might have had the talent to do it, but his brain escaped him- aside from some brief bursts (1995)- untill about 1999 ;)

If Agassi had 11 or 12 slams, I would find the comparison a little more difficult.
14 Slams;)

I'd pick Pistol Pete.

Reasons:

1- More GS Titles
2- More Titles Altogether
3- Many More Weeks at #1
4- H2H Favors Pete
5- Pete may not have won Roland Garros, but he has won on clay, so he can play on clay.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Hmm, it's hard to say as there are different attributes to being a great player...

I think Agassi is most likely the better, smarter tennis player and has a more complete game, but Sampras is the greater champion; as Rebecca pointed out above they have both won half their Slams at one particular event, the AO and Wimbledon respectively, and both times that one beat the other at "their" Slam, Agassi in 95 and 2000 and Sampras in 93 and 99, they won the tournament too.

Ironically enough, I think their roles have reversed somewhat recently; now Sampras is the unpredictable, inconsistent player who will sometimes have exceptional results, while Agassi is the one playing solid tennis day in, day out. Ultimately though, he ain't gonna catch the Sampras record in Slams won.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts