Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fantastic win from French #3 :yeah: Should have won in 3 to preserve energy for the SF but missed some BPs in 3rd set in which he dominated, but oh well.

Next up Djokovic or Nishikori.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Re: AO QF: [28] Pouille def. [16] Raonic 7-6(4) 6-3 (2)6-7 6-4

This is quite surprising as I expected Raonic to win here, but Pouille played really well, was very solid on serve and returned like a beast.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

Amazing quality from Lucas!!

Well-composed performance, almost no lapses of concentration, great returning, was better than Milos in every aspect of the game.

I'm so proud of Lucas today! Hopefully MTF starts appreciating him more. Will give a battle in the SF, no doubts. Allez!

·
Registered
21,284 Posts

Raonic level dropped from his previous performances what a shame.

Pouille peaked.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

Pouille is the Sebastien Grosjean in slams sort of.Gets to a semi and does it quietly with barely anybody noticing knowing full well a player ranked in the Top 3 will take him out.

Anyway,great effort reaching his maiden slam semi-final especially after falling off the wagon right after he made back to back Wimbledon + US OPEN Quarter Finals a few years back.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts

Better player by a mile won. The pass Raonic left for out in the final game was ridiculous, it landed a few good meters inside. Second time he's done it in the match, too, and I've seen him do it before in others as well.

That said, Pouille could give Djokovic a run for his money if he plays the same level.

Off topic, damn, Pouille is extremely good-looking, and I'm saying this as a very straight man.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

I really wonder if that new coach is starting to work wonders. His first grand slam with him and he makes a SF? Congrats to him. Hope he puts up a fight against Djokovic.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts

Really happy for Pouille and Amelie :yeah: Put on a mature performance tonight. Wonderful returning and some great passing shots. Hopefully he keeps building on this success throughout the year.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts

Incredible mental toughness and wonderful passing shots, lobs by Pouille to get the win.
Something magical happened today in RLA.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts

Been awful for a while coming in, never won at AO before, 0-3 vs Raonic and now into the semis. Crazy stuff, but he played really well and deserves it.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

Well deserved.

Pouille really has nice game, it was one of the rare occasions where one could enjoy the match where Raonic was one of participants.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Pouille is so weird with his on/off play. We knew he could play on occasion, glad for him for managing and putting a nice run. As long as he plays well in the semis i'm ok this this. Congrats

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

What an amazing result. :worship:

Greatest returning display of the year already in January. Pouille was reading Raonics serve flawlessly, impressive to be in that many service games as someone I wouldn't even consider a good returner normally. I don't think that comes from nowhere, Mauresmo definitely has to be given credit for that.

Raonic couldn't handle the situation at all to play without serve, from set 3 onwards he was literally luckbotting himself through his own service games, was just a matter of time till he eventually broke down under the pressure. Everything else like winning three consecutive TBs would have been a huge travesty anyway.

That said, as great as this result is I never expected this to happen. This match-up looks so dead on paper...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts