Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any data out there that shows the AO finals record of players who played in the first semi on Thursday vs. the second semi on Friday?

Who do you predict will get the benefit of the Thursday semi and thus an extra day of rest before the final?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Look it up and let us know. I have been curious about that also. But since Nole has been #1 seed most of his wins theres sure to be something there. Same for Federer.
Rafa has been #! a few times but lost.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had a look at the Australian Open mens singles draws since 2004.

# of times the winner of the Thursday night semi has gone on to win the title: 7
# of times the winner of the Friday night semi winner has gone on to win the title: 8

Federer and Djokovic have both won the Australian Open 6 times each and they weren't always playing the Thursday night semi either.

Here is the distribution of which day they played their semis in the years that they both won their 6 titles:

Federer: Fri, Fri, Thurs, Fri, Thurs, Fri (2 Thurs, 4 Fri)
Djokovic: Fri, Thurs, Fri, Thurs, Fri, Thurs (3 Thurs, 3 Fri)

I'm sure Federer would love to play the Thursday night semi whenever he can going forward, given his age

Also attached a screenshot below with the seed numbers of the champions as well from 2004-2018

Attachments

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
For an individual player it is unfair to play a day later than his final opponent, but it creates drama for tards to go to war.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts