Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Djokovic began the match in clown mode out of nowhere and almost fell down 1-5 - almost. Once Fed missed that triple BP (4-1* 40-0), he was done as Djokovic set out to properly exploit his acute lack of lateral movement that was obvious since 3R, bringing the old bones back to the bitter reality of no first serve = no holding, and no movement = no break points. Reminds me of Federer beating Berdych in 2018 AO QF with a similar match progression and movement edge. Oh well, Olderer has done better here than I thought he would, no double break sets lost even.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Sad way to go for the old man after he got 4-1* 40-0 in the first, but it was not really an unexpected outcome.

Yet another AO final for Novak Djokovic, what a player, especially in Melbourne courts. Thiem/Zverev waiting for the final.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,661 Posts
Up till 1-4 0-40

After Novak captures tiebreaker 7-6(1)

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
It was over after Novak won a point at 1-4 0-40

Novak's level is not that high enough that it guarantees him a victory against Thiem/Zverev.

Anything can happen.

I do hope Novak wins it so they can all retire with the same Slams lol

·
Registered
22,158 Posts
Federer may have served well but it was pretty clear he wasn’t at 100%, his lateral movement was terrible and he was hitting every shot to the net. Djokovic was surprisingly quite awful himself or else this would have been bagels and breadstick after the first set. Djokovic looks pretty beatable frankly and it wouldn’t surprise me if Angel or Thiem beats him. They will better challengers than a broken injured 38 yo man

·
Premium Member
21,537 Posts
Well done Novak. :D Weathered the first set scare and then it was one way traffic till the end, with an occasional briliance from Federer. Keep on keeping on. :D

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
The thing is... yes Federer should have won the first set, but... the guy could hardly move. Just remember that this is the guy who once had the best footwork and the lightest feet in tennis. Today, EVERY time Roger had to hit a running forehand, he missed it. Federer truly looked his age today.

Novak was solid but actually didn't look that scary to me. Except for his serving, which was great. If Thiem reaches the final, he'll have a good chance to win.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
Federer screwed up the first set badly, but it was routine for Djokovic once he got back on serve. Easy tiebreak and smooth sailing in the second and third sets.

He should win his 8th title on Sunday. I hope so. Keep Nadal and Federer nervous about the slam count.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
First, huge respect for Fed. He was not even 50% and he made a super effort. In a way, I liked he couldn't move as he was forced to go for his shots. And he was making a lot of them. Such a beautiful shotmaker, great hands, many short swings with incredible angles. Hats off, maestro.

Nole, well done! Not the easiest to play against clearly hampered opponent, but he got his nerves in order. Also, insane serving. Good luck in finals my man!

1 - 20 of 289 Posts