Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57,597 Posts
I think there's a pretty good chance Medevedev would have reached the final from the other half, unfortunate for him the one guy I'm pretty confident can beat him is the guy he plays next.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,624 Posts
I knew this would be troublesome for Goffin. Couldn't quite play his shots at will, Medvedev very surreptitious player to face, absorbs pace so well. Hopefully Medvedev can give a good account against Djokovic.

·
52,624 Posts
Djokovic doesn't look too good against Denis, Daniil has a shot here. I feel for David but he had no chance against Novak.
Daniil is one of those guys who is willing to be very patient in rallies and not pull the trigger early, unusual for a big guy though he knows how to press offense and pick off the net. That might be handy though Novak's play himself can make you impatient. Will be interesting a tug of war to see how they respond to each other.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quite a performance from Medvedev. His serve was a bit iffy, especially in the second set, but in the end he got 66 % first serves in, which is fine. What really shined was the baseline game and the backhand in particular. There's not much to complain about that shot. It is a great offensive weapon (the acceleration is Murrayesque and he can hit those bombs all day, both cross-court and dtl), but what fascinated me today was the rallying-defensive part. Goffin hit a lot of deep balls into the backhand side, but Medvedev usually did not even move from the baseline and almost half-volleyed it straight back. For such a flat shot the consistency is ridiculous. Very reminiscent of Davydenko. The forehand is fine too, but could be too loopy sometimes.

On the other hand, David was just bland. His serve was always going to a liability, but today it really let him down. And the game off the ground did not help much either. While he hit some beauties, there were just too many errors (albeit many were forced by Medvedev). The most disappointing stuff was him not trying to change anything, to make Medvedev uncomfortable with slicing/more spin. Almost all rallies were identical, a baseline shootout with Medvedev winning more points (and his serve was always going to beat Goffin's).

Overall a nice match, but I'd appreciate more variety, especially from the Belgian.

·
Administrator
18,334 Posts
Wouldn't put my hopes up, these guys never bring it against the big 3.
Decent effort from Medvedev against Federer in Shanghai. I do feel that he'd do most damage against Nadal out of the big 3, I'd almost think that being a little more explosive helps against Djok.

Medved here gives shades of Wawrinka 2013 here for me, seeded 15th as well. We'll have to see where his head's at.

·
52,624 Posts
Decent effort from Medvedev against Federer in Shanghai. I do feel that he'd do most damage against Nadal out of the big 3, I'd almost think that being a little more explosive helps against Djok.

Medved here gives shades of Wawrinka 2013 here for me, seeded 15th as well. We'll have to see where his head's at.
not sure he can outlast Nadal's intensity about the whole court though.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
After the match Medvedev said that he would have prefered to play a little bit more tennis today, even though the conditions were pretty tough. Another player whose body feels like a machine.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Goffin a shadow of himself, but Medvedev looks good, good enough to take sets of Djokovic, who is looking shaky. I wonder how aggressive Medvedev will be in the Djokovic match :scratch:. He will have to go for it. Goffin does not have the weapons Djokovic has, so Medvedev will have to be a little more aggressive in that match.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
David is still rusty and it was too hot for him today to compete successfully with a player in form. But he improves after being injured and this is a good thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts