340 Posts
Nadal d. Simon: 7-5, 6-2, 6-3

:banana: Nice Rafa! :banana:

whew! that 1st set scared me. :)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Re: Nadal d. Simon: 7-5, 6-2, 6-3

If you can't convert 1 out of six SP you don't deserve to win. Simon blew it basically and Nadal outgrinded him in the end, it's what he does best.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Nadal played like shit for the first set but after Simon wasted three set points he upped his level to steal that set. Overall, average stuff from Nadal. He was still hitting fairly short in the last two sets.

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
Nadal played like shit for the first set but after Simon wasted three set points he upped his level to steal that set. Overall, average stuff from Nadal. He was still hitting fairly short in the last two sets.
I don't get why he's been hitting short. What's wrong with him?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nice win Nadal :D

Gilles fought the good fight, but Nadal gave him more than he could handle.:sad:

I hate to say it, but Nadal is playing with fire. If he plays in this defensive style in the 2nd week he won't be around too long, and he won't have anyone to blame, but himself. :smash: Get your mind right Rafa.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with him. He always hits it short.

Mug match.

·
Registered
770 Posts
First seeded player Rafa faced, anyone who thought it was going to be an easy match the whole way through was sadly mistaken. Simon is the kind of player who can drive Rafa nuts with some of those flat shots that sound as though they have been shot out of a cannon. He deserved to win that first set, but that's not enough against the top players.

After Rafa broke back to make it 4-5, and he got down 0-40, I thought that was it. But Rafa served his ass out of jail. Rafael Nadal used his serve to get back in it. Craziness. I can't remember the last time I saw him do that.

At the end of the day, here's what you have: Another straight sets victory. And the match to decide his 4th round opponent is going into a 5th set in what seems to be a tough, hard-fought match.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts

If you can't convert 1 out of six SP you don't deserve to win.
The most saving setpoints in a winning set for Rafa so far.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

CONGRATS RAFA!!! :worship: :hatoff:

First set was a thriller. Simon had it on his racket, really. But... if you aren't able to convert that plenty of setpoints... :help: Rafa = OpponentsSetPointsKilla :worship:
Simon was up 5-2 and ended up getting beaten 7-5. Way to go. What a choker.

Of course, all credits go to Rafa, who again showed his incredible mental versatility. :yeah: :worship: :hatoff:

On Dutch Eurosports, the commentator commented that "I can't see anyone withholding Rafa from the final here. I now truly expect a Roger Federer - Rafael Nadal final' or likewise words like that.

Have to agree with the guy here.

Rafa will have to avoid the glitches he showed during that first set (serving like a cripple) to have any chance to win this title though.

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
I thought he would start hitting deeper as the match went on but he seemed content to just outgrind Simon. :shrug: It worked but a better player would have taken advantage.
I think he's going to have another exit with a bagel in the scores like he's been having recently.

I don't see him trying to change anything.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Rafa has done nothing to indicate that he will beat any of the top hardcourters(Youzhny, Roddick) in his quarter. Much less have any shot of beating Federer in the final.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts

CONGRATS RAFA!!! :worship: :hatoff:

First set was a thriller. Simon had it on his racket, really. But... if you aren't able to convert that plenty of setpoints... :help: Rafa = OpponentsSetPointsKilla :worship:
Simon was up 5-2 and ended up getting beaten 7-5. Way to go. What a choker.

Of course, all credits go to Rafa, who again showed his incredible mental versatility. :yeah: :worship: :hatoff:

On Dutch Eurosports, the commentator commented that "I can't see anyone withholding Rafa from the final here. I now truly expect a Roger Federer - Rafael Nadal final' or likewise words like that.

Have to agree with the guy here.

Rafa will have to avoid the glitches he showed during that first set (serving like a cripple) to have any chance to win this title though.
Normally he's far more aggressive on SP/MP than he was today. Today, he only SAVED 2/6, the two aces he hit I think. The rest were all wasted by Simon. He was waiting for the error to come from Rafa but it never did, got into endless and pointless rallies with him, and lost them with a silly shot here or there.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm afraid Nadal won't last too long in this tournament.
Well, he's made it into the second week. So that kinda is 'long'.

Seriously...all he has to do to keep this tournament from being a negative is make it to the Quarters. That's the furthest he has ever gotten here, and he needs to get back there in order to defend his points. Of course even that isn't a given, but anything beyond that would just be gravy.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts