Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's good and there's not good. De Minaur is not good. And I don't want to hear anything about how tired he was, how great his fighting spirit is and how he has the groundstrokes of a 13 year-old, even though his body is the one of a 12 year-old. To beat RAFA you need game, and that's what he lacks severely.

And I don't even think RAFA played that well. People keep on whining about the conditions, though I believe he is the one that suffers the most from them. FH didn't look as penetrating as it did last year at this tournament IMO. De Minaur is obviously not the one that can take advantage of that, his pushy and hacky BH basically disables him from setting up any sort of pressure in those CC rallies.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
You have to wonder what the game plan was from Hewitt/Di Minaur going into this match. This basically went exactly like anyone could have predicted on paper. I mean no one expected an upset here but it's the manner in which the loss transpired that is disappointing. To be fair the conditions didn't exactly help him either, but still.

What's the point of going in and playing exactly like you always do when basically everyone under the sun could see the outcome? The scoreline was literally exactly the same as it was last year at Wimbledon. No drop shots, no slow balling, no net rushing and not even any "ballbashing" until the third set when he was too gassed sustain his normal rallying style. It's almost like he felt obligated to preserve his persona of being the quintessential "Aussie battler" because that's what the public love him for. Duckworth's performance was much better than this honestly, at least he unsettled Nadal to a degree.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
De Manure was absolutely useless against Rafa tonight.Just swung away and couldn't do anything to hurt Nadal.

Hit the gym kid and start hitting that tennis ball a little harder if you want to go further in your career.

The perfect roadkill for Rafa to feast on.May as well of had Dudi Sela out there.

Berdych is next.Nadal's buffet of Australian players is over for now.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Not a competitive match at all. I guess I thought after seeing his match vs Cilic at US Open, I expected more tonight but this was a bludgeoning by Rafa.

Like a grown man vs boy match. Disappointed Alex didn't pose more of a threat. He tried hard, just no weapons. I think Alex ceiling is quite limited unless he gets in the weight room and gets alot stronger. He's 19. There's no excuse for him not to be a lot stronger than he is.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Not a competitive match at all. I guess I thought after seeing his match vs Cilic at US Open, I expected more tonight but this was a bludgeoning by Rafa.

Like a grown man vs boy match. Disappointed Alex didn't pose more of a threat. He tried hard, just no weapons. I think Alex ceiling is quite limited unless he gets in the weight room and gets alot stronger. He's 19. There's no excuse for him not to be a lot stronger than he is.
Cilic and Nadal are very different players though. De Minaur's game matches up well with that of Cilic; not with Nadal's. This was an entirely expected cakewalk.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts

there is.

he's ectomorph

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
At this point for de Minaur to have any chance in this match up he needs Nadal to be significantly physically compromised and he himself must be fresh as a daisy. Otherwise he just has nothing to hurt him with. No serve, no big ground strokes. He can't outdefend a healthy'ish Nadal. Simple as that. Neither of the two conditions was satisfied today, so the result is as NID as it gets.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
A very straightforward match and result.

As expected, Alex suffered greatly from not having a better serve and heavier groundstrokes. Nadal looked pretty good.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Cilic and Nadal are very different players though. De Minaur's game matches up well with that of Cilic; not with Nadal's. This was an entirely expected cakewalk.
also has to do with rafa being much better

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
This match is supposed to go to super tie break in the fifth set, but everyone is writing obituary to the rookie kid here.

What exactly happened?

·
Registered
56 Posts
,Nadal was solid, he hasn't been tested at all so far. De Minaur is only 19, but I don't think he'll ever have the weapons to reach the top. Maybe a Ferrer like career at best.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
the future :lol:

pretty much what you could expect from somebody barely surviving Laaksonen, he's like a very poor man's Hewitt

good for Rafa to save some energy before Berdych, that one will be infinitely tougher, a 4-set win should be possible though

1 - 20 of 70 Posts