Registered
1,869 Posts
Re: AO R3: Titsipas d. Basilashvili 6-3 3-6 7-6(7) 6-4

That 3rd set was INSANE! So much drama
Good tournament for Basilashvili :hug:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Good match. Niko almost stole that third set, but all in all deserved winner in the end.

Decent chances vs. Fed next round I think.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So sad for Nikoloz. A pretty brutal draw for him. He needs to get better result on the ATP tour to ensure a better seeding next Slam.
As for Tsisi, I dont really like the kid, but good job on being the better player on crucial points

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Good and dramatic match indeed. Very, very bad mistake by young umpire in the 3rd set, almost costed Stefanos this set and all match. He served unreturnable serve at set point, there was very quick correction, but umpire instead of giving a point, ordered a 1st serve. This match exceeded his skills.
Fortunately Stef showed some guts in TB, winning a set by dropshot-lob combo.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Not been able to see Tsitsipas play here sadly, so I'm glad he made it through. Too bad Basilashvili faced him at this stage as I also like him and would have been pleased for him to go further in the draw.

As for the reported verbal outburst, it's unfortunate but understandable given the circumstances. Do any of those criticising Tsitsipas truly think even players with far greater experience would have handled that situation much more rationally? He's playing only his second AO, on the brink of matching the best slam result of his young career, and the umpire makes a mistake on what should have been a winning MP for him!

Players have erupted on court over far less provocation. Even so, I hope Tsitsipas learns to handle such setbacks better in future i.e. without expletives and swearing. Nothing wrong with displaying emotion in my book, just need to do it in an appropriate way.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
Oh, this was an absolutely stunning match.

Major props to the "kid".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well done Stef! 3rd set was really tense and Tsitsi lost it for a couple of minutes (hearing him swear in greek in such fashion was awkwardly funny). He should have put the situation behind him immediately, instead of letting it mess with his head. This time it didn't cost him the set, but in the future he is bound to deal with similar situations. Needs to work on his mentality.

It will certainly be a great one against the Swiss maestro. For me, it is going to be a special encounter, since my last trip to Basel (in order to watch Federer at the Swiss Indoors) resulted in a sudden meeting (and greeting) with Tsitsipas outside the venue. Not to mention that the matchup between Fed and Tsitsi is quite pleasing to the eye. Definitely going to watch this one, regardless of the time zone.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sad for Niko but cant be too mad cos the better player won here :)
Match had some quality moments but both players were a bit too inconsistent for top class.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like both players and found the match really entertaining. Good battle of two quite different playing styles, with a bit of drama for good measure.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Bashilashvili couldn't play his best and just couldn't run properly in 4th set. At 100%, he'd blow the brat off court for sure.

Tsitsipas, no matter how talented, is not personality I could support. Shameless gamesmanship by him in both Troicki and this match. This time umpire did something about it at least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts