Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Thats not Sascha on the Court, first Match in ages without a Double Fault... :D

Forehand was a little flat today, but when it matterd it was there. Final Game to break he hit 3 Clean Forehand Winners. Made it hard by being broken for the Match and not using his chances. Only 3/16 on Break Point in the End! But he is trough in straights, back to back at a Slam, that did not happen to often and was not to be expected in his form..

Basha or Verdasco next, 5 Sets written all over it!

·
The special one
14,780 Posts
He's had a pretty easy 2 rounds. I'd be surprised if he wins potential back to back matches against Basilashvili and Rublev, the latter especially is in great form.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
his passive strategy was perfect against Gerasimov who sprayed errors..
next round will be more telling

·
justice for all
16,854 Posts
Another 10.000 USD in the bank. Well... that was clutch but the opponent wasn't from the top shelf. Let's see what happens next.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When he served for the match at 5-4 in the third, I was thinking maybe he is ready to put all his slam struggles behind him, for one thing, not making a single double fault. However, even though he had been utterly dominant on serve up to that point, he managed to get broken to love. Credit to him for holding it together from then on, though. Still, I'm afraid Zverev has a few demons left to kill before he is a force to be reckoned with in slams.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
He's had a pretty easy 2 rounds. I'd be surprised if he wins potential back to back matches against Basilashvili and Rublev, the latter especially is in great form.
Zverev is a horrible matchup for Rublev though, Rublev has only won 15 games in the 6 sets they’ve played so far, and he looked like he was going to get double bagelled in Shanghai last year. Basilashvili could be a stern test, let’s see if he gets by Verdasco first.

EDIT: And I see you didn’t mention Goffin either, IMO he would at least have a 50/50 chance against Rublev and would be the slight favorite against Zverev.:)

·
The special one
14,780 Posts
Zverev is a horrible matchup for Rublev though, Rublev has only won 15 games in the 6 sets they’ve played so far, and he looked like he was going to get double bagelled in Shanghai last year. Basilashvili could be a stern test, let’s see if he gets by Verdasco first.

EDIT: And I see you didn’t mention Goffin either, IMO he would at least have a 50/50 chance against Rublev and would be the slight favorite against Zverev.:)
Rublev/Goffin should be a good match. I'd have either of them favourite against Zverev, both in much better form right now. Zverev didn't look good at all in ATP cup, but we'll see what happens.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
No double faults...... very impressive. Still not playing his best but didn’t need to against that guy but next round against Chokedasco will be tough.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Didn't watch much here because of the Thiem match, but everytime I looked into this Zverev was hitting WTA FHs right on the service line. It was absolutely dreadful to watch, he would have probably lost to 98 top 100 players today, but Gerasimov is the best possible match-up for him and was tired on top of that. At least Zverevs kick serve looked pretty solid the 3 or 4 times I saw him using it...

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Haven't had a chance to see Zverev in action yet but was score watching... Thought 'not again' when he failed to serve out the match so it's commendable he still won in three, plus good to see no DFs.

Seems a handful of young guns I follow are having a crisis of confidence to some degree or another ? Not convinced Zverev's problems are over but I think he does a better job than most in getting results despite not playing his best.

That ability can be a mixed blessing though, as it papers over cracks that need proper fixing. I've got the sense up to now that Zverev & Co. tend to sweep some tough issues under the rug rather than tackle them head-on...

Hope that tendency changes because as annoying as I find him at times, I'd rather have Zverev playing well and being part of the 'top NextGenners' conversation than him being just another 'also-ran.' Maybe diminished expectations will relieve some pressure and improve his performances... We'll see as the season progresses.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Looks like Sasha has finally read the grand slam memo, don't waste stupid amounts of energy in the first week like he normally does.

Good win, Verdasco will be interesting though.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
He was Really fortunate with his draw so far. And I think Verdasco won’t pose a problem either. He should make the quarters this time

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
He was Really fortunate with his draw so far. And I think Verdasco won’t pose a problem either. He should make the quarters this time
Depends on how Verdasco plays cause he did beat him at the French I think in 2017. I’m rooting for Zverev in that match though cause I respect him for his donations and Verdasco is a prick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts