9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a scare Pico gave me!

*waits for Jaap to come insult Delic in this thread*

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
AO R2 Monaco def. Delic 6-3. 7-6(8-6), 5-7, 6-7(8-10), 8-6

Judging by the score it seems like this was match of the day so far. A bit of a roller coaster too. Monaco was up a break in the third and served for it at 5-3 before Delic staged a major comeback. Amer broke for 2-0 in the fifth but was broken back immediately and Juan was rock solid on serve after that. It's too bad Amer couldn't pull it off. He really had the momentum going into the fifth especially after breaking but credit to Monaco for hanging tough.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Why didn't they have any cameras on that court. What a battle by these two guys (both nice fellows from what I hear) and too bad there had to be a loser. Kudos to Delic for fighting back. I was worried for Pico though- this type of loss would have been hard to take after being up two breaks in the third.

Did anyone see it?

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Pico led 4-1 in and third set, and almost lost the match:eek:

·
Banned
7,774 Posts
Why didn't they have any cameras on that court. What a battle by these two guys (both nice fellows from what I hear) and too bad there had to be a loser. Kudos to Delic for fighting back. I was worried for Pico though- this type of loss would have been hard to take after being up a break in the fifth.

Did anyone see it?
Try 5-2 in the 3rd:eek:

Delic also had 2-0 in the 5th

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
i thought this would be over quickly at 5-2 in the 3d, that it went for 2 hours more

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
I wish we could have seen this and I hope that someone who was there eventually shows up to tell us about it. I am so impressed and so pleased that Amer put up a fight and got into this match. This type of fight, plus winning 4 matches in a row is such a turnaround for him and the way he played in the second half of last year. I hope he can keep it going and get back into the top 100.

Congrats to Monaco. :)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Try 5-2 in the 3rd
That is what I meant to say...hee! :eek: A break or two in the third is quite a bit different than in the fifth. I think both player held serve in the fifth until Pico finally broke and then served for the match.

Fee - it would be nice for Amer to have a good year. And I hope that Pico does as well. :)

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
An actual epic match for once. All the other ones have been WTA-like scores.

Good to see Pico pulling through and good fight from Delic. :yeah:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Yes, I saw it packed crowd, the Bosnians made plenty of noise and were very fair and Delic really appreciated their support. It was played in great spirit and Monaco should have won this in 3, but not getting 1st serves in when serving for the match and too much rallying up the middle and Delic took advantage of it and was able to hit some big forehands and served well.

Monaco is a big fighter and showed it again and came through as he should have done earlier.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
ahhh damn!:sobbing:
glad to hear it was a fight though...
I wish we could have seen this and I hope that someone who was there eventually shows up to tell us about it. I am so impressed and so pleased that Amer put up a fight and got into this match. This type of fight, plus winning 4 matches in a row is such a turnaround for him and the way he played in the second half of last year. I hope he can keep it going and get back into the top 100.
Put Amer on television NOW!!!:mad::devil:

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Just got up and checked the results. It was 673, 7/6, 2/0 when I went asleep. I thought good tournament, Amer! Then this fight and no reward.... Can't be true... :eek: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Reactions: +alonso

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
:crying2:

i got to see him interviewed on espn2 the other day (amer) it kind of made my day

...obviously i am reaching for any coverage:p

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Wow I was expecting an easier victory for Pico than that. Thankfully he got the job done in the end, but boy did he make life difficult for himself. He has reached the 3rd round at Melbourne for the first time in his career.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
It's lovely that Monaco won. He's my discovery of the Australian Open 2008. Lovely guy, and I'm glad he got through what was obviously a tough match for him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts