Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luczak played well but David got the win and gets Ferrero next.

David really took control of the match as it went on but still a solid fight from the Aussie, David will have to pick it up a bit against Ferrero and then Ferrer.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Re: AO RD2: Nalbandian def. Luczak 4-6 7-5 6-4 6-1

Pete expected but still :sad:

guess now on to the clay courts where u plau ur best tennis goodluck in south america!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: AO RD2: Nalbandian def. Luczak 4-6 7-5 6-4 6-1

David started the match slowly, with bad timing ( although luczak played well), but he got better and better with time, and was very impressive in the fourth. Great serving all match long (19 aces) , if he keeps fourth set form up things look good for him .

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
nalbandian slowly getting his touch right. takes time for the talented big guy. hopefully he peaks at the right time (QF and SF v fed)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yup, good serving and returning from Luczak throughout the first three sets. He was a bit uneven in long rallies but kept his shots heavy and deep and was somewhat in control of the match at first. His serve percentage was very high and he was placing it well and painting lines every now and then with the first serve. He was also very consistent in service returns, didn't hit any outright winners, I guess, but he pounded the ball back efficiently from every reachable serve.

In the 2nd set at 6-5* 30-30 on Luczak's serve, Nalbandian finally had 'that look'. A small fist clench and a little self-psyching as he was won the last point and was about to receive serve. For the first time today he was hitting that trademark inside-out backhand return and forcing errors with crafty groundstrokes. Granted, it required a successful challenge, one double fault by Luczak and four set points but something in Nalbandian's whole demeanor changed at that point.

Luczak rallied well after that loss and continued serving well and holding his ground in backcourt rallies. Another lapse late in the set combined with Dave's improving play cost him the match. There really was no coming back at that point. That's what big stage experience does.

Luczak has improved a lot since I last saw him and his rise in the rankings seems to be no fluke. His steady game is tough to break down for anyone and he really forces his opponent to actually do something special to get the win. The dude is upset material for the French Open. As for Nalbandian, I'm glad to see his improved serve has stayed with him through the offseason and there's no way in the world this guy is serving over 15 aces with a bad back so I guess that's not much of an issue any longer. Still far from Madrid/Paris form but getting there. The Ferrero match has some potential to be a great one.

Reactions: LeChuck

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I'm relieved that David came through that match, as sounded like Peter played really well in front of his home crowd, and gave him a scare.
Good luck to David against Ferrero, and well done to Peter for giving a good account of himself at this tournament.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yup, good serving and returning from Luczak throughout the first three sets. He was a bit uneven in long rallies but kept his shots heavy and deep and was somewhat in control of the match at first. His serve percentage was very high and he was placing it well and painting lines every now and then with the first serve. He was also very consistent in service returns, didn't hit any outright winners, I guess, but he pounded the ball back efficiently from every reachable serve.

In the 2nd set at 6-5* 30-30 on Luczak's serve, Nalbandian finally had 'that look'. A small fist clench and a little self-psyching as he was won the last point and was about to receive serve. For the first time today he was hitting that trademark inside-out backhand return and forcing errors with crafty groundstrokes. Granted, it required a successful challenge, one double fault by Luczak and four set points but something in Nalbandian's whole demeanor changed at that point.

Luczak rallied well after that loss and continued serving well and holding his ground in backcourt rallies. Another lapse late in the set combined with Dave's improving play cost him the match. There really was no coming back at that point. That's what big stage experience does.

Luczak has improved a lot since I last saw him and his rise in the rankings seems to be no fluke. His steady game is tough to break down for anyone and he really forces his opponent to actually do something special to get the win. The dude is upset material for the French Open. As for Nalbandian, I'm glad to see his improved serve has stayed with him through the offseason and there's no way in the world this guy is serving over 15 aces with a bad back so I guess that's not much of an issue any longer. Still far from Madrid/Paris form but getting there. The Ferrero match has some potential to be a great one.
You're right about the serve, Nalbandian at 8th place in number of aces, never seen that before. He won't always at his best in the rallies all year that's for sure, but the new serve might give him the free points he needs to finally get to the top. I'm sure last year's Nalbandian would have gone 5 sets on this match.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
David :yeah:

Luczak :sad: Keep improving :)

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Despite the close score Nalbandian looks healthy, hungry and determined.

I must question his conditioning though, that belly suggests he's far from being "Fit" Dave.
Boy, will this guy become an Abrahams tank after his retirement or what...

Reactions: bittertea

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

Thanks for your very detailed report of the match :worship:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yeah, I love Luczak. He is Australian.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That was a bit scary match for me. Luczak played really well in first three sets with consistent depth of his shots, fast and perfectly placed first serve and solid returns. Nalbandian had to dig deep to win today.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Some nice clutch play by David in crucial moments, he got too comfortable at start and that cost him a set. From now now on gets tougher as it can be.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I must question his conditioning though, that belly suggests he's far from being "Fit" Dave.
Boy, will this guy become an Abrahams tank after his retirement or what...
I saw him live, in person on Tuesday, and he is fine, extremely toned and muscular for a guy of his build, so please stop spouting this fat crap.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Well done Dave :yeah:

He shouldn't have too many problems against Ferrero IMO, but if he ends up facing Pics in the last 16 that could be a very tough and gruelling match.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nalbandian played very well. It's amazing. Unfortunately i think he'll win Ferrero too. Ferrero began the seasson playing very well, but Nalbadian plays even better.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
JCF stands no chance against an in-form Nalbandian.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts