Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 61 of 328 Posts

· Registered
5,928 Posts

· Registered
Stan Wawrinka
6,856 Posts
An absolute classic, an epic. That match was miles better than Murray-Berrettini.
People were overreacting after that R1-match, but this match today was out of this world.
Easily the match of the year. Of course there were choking elements by Kokkinakis in set 3,
but the quality of all five sets was really good, also in longer rallies from both players.

Kokkinakis played 103 winners to lose a match. This is really hard.
His serve and forehand inside-out, inside-in was really clicking.
Murray was brilliant in defense, counterpunching, lobs and tactics as always.
His fighting spirit is a source of inspiration, if you are a fan or not.

Just imagine people want to change the format for best-of-3 or sets played to 4,
just because silly Gen Z people can not concentrate for more than 2 minutes (15 seconds, actually).
This match today just underline my idea of stop watching tennis if they ever put out best-of-5-sets system in Slams.

RBA will be too much to handle, probably.

· Registered
6,068 Posts
Do you realize only 4 mins were needed to break 2012 final match time? Unbelievable! Gruelling af!
Phew!Djodal should hold that record forever!

• Andy Murray
Reactions: Moozza

· Registered
752 Posts
Incredible!! Thank you Andy. The game is still there. He needs the consistency to shorten these matches.

Perhaps a new coaching team? That's not to disrespect Lendl - he did a great job when Andy was prime and gave him the power and the self belief, but now he needs to regain the day to day consistency.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
RBA smiling ear for ear.

• Andy Murray
Reactions: Moozza

· Registered
3,000 Posts
I never cared much for Sir Andy during his prime but damn, this guy has a lot of fight in him! To win a nearly six hour marathon with a metal hip at age 35 is seriously impressive. The young ones could learn a thing or two from this guy. I’m getting Jimmy Connors 1991 US Open vibes from this run. Let’s see what he has left for RBA - who also came back from 2 sets down in his second round match.

· Registered
8,219 Posts
Someone check on Moozza... ;)

Simply fantastic from Sir Andy. Legendary performance. He's always been a great talent, but his mentality is probably even better. Nothing but respect :hatoff: He could have won so much more if not for... Ah well, I hope he just can enjoy playing matches like these. Amazing!

As for Kokkinakis, I know he has never been a top guy, but wasting a 2-0 lead, in front of his home crowd, against a veteran with a metal hip is a new low for the ATP. As if NextGen don't want to win. Being in the spotlight, especially through social media, is more than enough for them. I'm really starting to believe we're looking at generations of people who look at sport the same way the average millennial approaches his/her daily life. They should learn from Murray, but they can't. Now Kokkinakis can start kissing Kyrgios's a$s again.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
What a fuckin match. Watched all!! Sad for Kokk and his ranking but very happy for Murray and what he put in to this. Murray longest ever match at his oldest ever age

Murray showed he is playing best level since being top of game. Kokk showing if he never got injuries hed be top 10. Kokk saved 4 BPS at 3-3 and 3 BPS at 5-5. Murray kept going!

2 of my fave players was hard to watch but i was of course favouring my all time fav murray.

Both served well despite a few bad DFs.
Kokk lost his cool a bit at net cords.
Murray and Kokk both got time violations.
Kokk smashed a racquet.
Murray net play great. His forehand was very good.
As for Kokkinakis.....

View attachment 391839

I was at this match before in davis cup sf

View attachment 391840

Now faces machine Bautista in re match of Murray AO RET match
Spell binding. Brought me to tears so proud of Murray. Along with Ronnie Osullivan he is our greatest ever sportsperson.
Absolutely fucking mental match. And agree with all your comments about Kokkinakis . For me he is better than Kyrgios.

· Premium Member
22,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Damn, brutal stuff. Murray with a big heart, Moozza should be allowed to open as many threads on this match as he wants forever. What a fuckin match...sucks that someone has to lose in those battles.

Poor ballkids too, match finished past 4am. would buy them all a racquet each if I were Andy.
Poor? Experience of life for them haha

41 - 61 of 328 Posts