Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Watched most of this one from the start until the rain delay, when Coric was up 2-1 30:0 in the third. Not a brilliant match by any means but he got the job done without extending himself too much: his 4/4 BP conversion (vs 1/5) was the most telling stat.

Expected a bit more from Fucsovics, who faltered when it mattered most e.g. conceded the opening set with a DF. Had some treatment on one leg at the conclusion of the second so perhaps fitness, along with the humid conditions, was a factor.

Coric himself asked for the trainer at one point in set 2 complaining of some pain related to his upper left thigh, which I've observed is strapped this week. Probably nothing serious and he presumably got some painkillers for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Coric has been really impressive. I think he can go very far this tournament.

It's really great to see all the best youngsters marching through the tournament so far... Coric, Khachanov, Shapo, Tsitsi, Zverev and Medvedev.

The future looks bright to me with this generation.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Coric has been really impressive. I think he can go very far this tournament.

It's really great to see all the best youngsters marching through the tournament so far... Coric, Khachanov, Shapo, Tsitsi, Zverev and Medvedev.

The future looks bright to me with this generation.
Agreed, this seems to be the slam where they announce they are here to stay... And that's not even including the likes of de Minaur, Fritz, Tiafoe and now Popyrin, or even Humbert who gave a good account of himself despite losing.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
People are sleeping on Coric. He can make the SF here.
Might even do more than that on a day that Novak isn't consistent and gets frustrated which is happening more often now. Not counting that option out, Coric is maturing.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Not really a good sign though to take MTOs so frequently, if things don't go his way deep in a match, those niggles/injuries may feel amplified and force him to think about that while playing his game. His draw is a cakewalk until QFs and that's if Zverev makes it there. Hell I'll take Zverev in a slam QF over every other opponent in the top 8.
Anyway I'm not a fan of Coric and his game but good to see the younger guys do well. Shapo/Bolt/Coric/Zverev/De Minaur/Khahanov/MEdvedev/Tsitsipas all in R3 of a slam.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Anyway I'm not a fan of Coric and his game but good to see the younger guys do well. Shapo/Bolt/Coric/Zverev/De Minaur/Khahanov/MEdvedev/Tsitsipas all in R3 of a slam.
Bolt is already 26, so I wouldn't put him in with those other players. Maybe you were thinking of Popyrin who is 19?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts