Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what the official reason is yet...

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Unfortunate news, thought this one could be one of the most interesting matches of the day:(

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Caught the second half of Kohli's match against Giron... He was looking good there so no idea what could have happened to necessitate a withdrawal 😞

·
Registered
87 Posts
That was the one match I was excited to see. Wonder what happened to Kohlschreiber. I always enjoy watching him play and thought the match against Tsitsipas could have been quite interesting and fun. I wonder how this walkover will affect Tsi moving forward -- advantage or disadvantage? It's very hot today so I'm thinking this will help him. He has a potentially tough 3R match vs Raonic...

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
You take what you can get. One step closer to the big matchup with the Djoker. I think that will likely be the match that determines what happens at the business end of this tournament.

·
justice for all
12,518 Posts
Not sure if it’s good or bad for Stef. Good he’s saved the energy he’ll need in later rounds but the risk is it might disturb his rhythm. Hopefully not.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Looking like Stan Wawrinka's run to the AO title.
Exactly what I was thinking, it seems very likely that stef will beat djoker in the quarters to me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wouldn't be totally surprised if Tsitsipas beats Djokovic in the quarter, which would be a great result for him. On the other hand, the match against Raonic is looking tough. Didn't see the match between Raonic and Garin in the second round, but the statistic alone is enough to tell you something. Raonic only lost three points on his first serve, averaged 207 km/hm and hit 19 aces in 14 games. His second serve averaged 184 km/h, which seems like some kind of record. In that light, 6 double faults might not be too bad. Also, Raonic broke Garin four times without being broken himself, which made for an easy victory. Tsitsipas is not the best at breaking serve, and thus we are likely to see a couple of tiebreaks in their third-round meeting.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Not sure if it’s good or bad for Stef. Good he’s saved the energy he’ll need in later rounds but the risk is it might disturb his rhythm. Hopefully not.
The merits of skipping a match altogether with a W/O in a slam usually dwarf any conceivable problems, so I would say this is huge for Tsitsipas. A gift.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I watched part of Raonics match on Tuesday when I was doing the rounds of the outer courts. I know it was against the lowly rated Giustino but I was surprised at how well Raonic played and how well he moved. I think he will be a tough opponent for Tsitsipas.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking, it seems very likely that stef will beat djoker in the quarters to me.
That's assuming Tsi can beat RBA in the 4th round. RBA isn't a great matchup for him... He barely scraped by the win against him here last year in a VERY tense match. RBA doesn't seem human to me -- he is a very strange player with ice in his veins - no discernible emotions and very hard to read on the court, plus is such an obstinate pusher. RBA has split the opening two sets with Mmoh so I'm rooting for Mmoh to pull out the upset. If Tsi has one or worse yet two exhausting match wins versus Raonic and/or RBA, today's walkover won't help much at all in the QF vs Djokovic. I think Tsi needs a bit more help. Hope he gets it. I'd love to see a Tsitsipas Federer semi!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
What is this? In a thread of a w/o for Tsitsipas and all I read from many posters is that it is very likely that he will beat Djokovic in the QF. Weird. Thought I came to a thread of an impressive win for Tsitsipas instead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What is this? In a thread of a w/o for Tsitsipas and all I read from many posters is that it is very likely that he will beat Djokovic in the QF. Weird. Thought I came to a thread of an impressive win for Tsitsipas instead.
Well, some including myself were discussing how the walkover might affect his chances in later matches. I don't see that as irrelevant.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's assuming Tsi can beat RBA in the 4th round. RBA isn't a great matchup for him... He barely scraped by the win against him here last year in a VERY tense match. RBA doesn't seem human to me -- he is a very strange player with ice in his veins - no discernible emotions and very hard to read on the court, plus is such an obstinate pusher. RBA has split the opening two sets with Mmoh so I'm rooting for Mmoh to pull out the upset. If Tsi has one or worse yet two exhausting match wins versus Raonic and/or RBA, today's walkover won't help much at all in the QF vs Djokovic. I think Tsi needs a bit more help. Hope he gets it. I'd love to see a Tsitsipas Federer semi!!
It can be a good warm up for his match with novak. Stef has improved mentally lately, if RBA and stef meet I will favor stef in 4. Of course anything can happen and stef wont make it that far, or novak will lose earlier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts