Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Tsonga channeling his inner Clownfils :lol: Djokovic just letting him implode.

Novak better raise his level for his match vs Shapovalov, otherwise he'll drop at least a set.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Same old, same old. Novak is good against players like Shapovalov and no really big threats in the later rounds . Medvedev is the only possibly problematic player in his path to the final I think. Novak's AO to lose.

·
The special one
14,022 Posts
Not vintage Novak, but did enough not to make this worrying, played a loose game while serving for the 2nd set but recovered the break again straight away. He did what needed to be done.

He needs to raise his level, especially with Medvedev lurking as a possible R4 opponent, which I'm sure he will do. We've seen this with him plenty of times before in slams.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
TBH I expected a better match. Overweight Tsonga (who had injury problems in 2018) didn't pose a serious threat and had too many forehand errors. Novak was lethargic at times and commited some uncharacteristic errors but I never felt like there was any uncertainty about the result. Now a blockbuster (or maybe a flop?) against Shapo. Novak'll need to up his level for this match but I have no doubts that will be the case.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Not vintage Novak, but did enough not to make this worrying, played a loose game while serving for the 2nd set but recovered the break again straight away. He did what needed to be done.

He needs to raise his level, especially with Medvedev lurking as a possible R4 opponent, which I'm sure he will do. We've seen this with him plenty of times before in slams.
After Simon at AO 2016, I am never projecting Nole's bad performances on next matches.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Novak's next 2 matches should be really fun, against the nextgenners Shapovalov and Medvedev. I really look forward to seeing how he is gonna perform against them, coz, come on, he kinda sucks against the nextgenners compared to the generation useless :lol:

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Novak clearly the much better player in every aspect, the mental game, technique etc. There's nothing to worry despite several dropped service games. He will up his level when he needs to.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I watched this on british eurosport. It's unreal how much they hate Novak and how open they are about it. Co-commentator talked deep in the 2nd set how he was inferior player, gloating about him looking a bit under the weather, etc.

So glad Novak got this done in straights, now onto next match of a draw from hell.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As someone wrote on L'Equipe website, "In 2008 Jo and Nole have about the same career perspective. 11 years after, one won 14 Slams, the other gained 14 pounds."
Quotable quote but kind of misleading. Young Nole had a fire in him which no one else did (not even Nadal and Federer). I remember in the 2007 Australian Open before their (Fedovic) match, Djokovic was asked if he felt capable of taking on the then defending AO and 9 GS winner Federer, and his answer was in the nature of 'Why not, If someone could do it, its me'. He lost that match in straights but had a very successful 2007 with 2 Masters and Year End No. 3, and returned the favour next year in the semis. No equal comparison with Jo, at least in 2008.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts