Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm not surprised to be honest. Gulbis is always going to be a tough out, regardless of his ranking. I think and hopefully, Felix will learn a lot from this loss.

Reactions: Jenna Ji-Yong

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Gulbis played pretty well and much better than I expected him to. Felix wasn’t great but he wasn’t terrible or anything, Gulbis simply was better today.

·
justice for all
15,148 Posts
Good lesson for the young kiddo from Canada. The old guard is not done. Just yet.

By the end of set 4 Gulbis looked like on his last legs. Still enough for the new prodigy from Canada.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Gulbis always shows himself on the Big Stage. If he could return to the Top 50, we would see him play like this more often in challengers, he just doesn't care!

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
FAA can fly high, but the Albatross will reign supreme.
His last name means 'swan'.
Is he that elegant? Hardly ever. Is he that bold like that bird? Yes, definitely.

Very well deserved win for Ernests.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
After Marton, Ernests eliminates another overhyped Canadian. Gulbis was perfect. :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Expected, FAA is yet to prove himself on the big stage. Gulbis is always dangerous.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't like Gulbis, but good riddance of that French arrogant boy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Weird match. FAA was serving for 1st set at 5-4, then Gulbis came back and won the set 7-5. 2nd set, Gulbis had lots of changes with several games at 0-40 on FAA's serve and Gulbis couldn't convert any of them, and FAA ultimately won that set. Then in the third set, FAA was playing better and had chances to break, but made costly UEs in the tiebreaker and despite winning 2 more points in the 3rd set, lost it. Then FAA had triple break point in the 4th game of the 4th set and couldn't convert. Overall, FAA wasn't too bad, not too many double faults, but just played without much variety or creativity, whereas Gulbis created better opportunities for winners & constructed better points. Overall the better player today won and I'm happy with the outcome. Plays Bedene in R2 and possibly Monfils R3 - it's possible Gulbis could make it to the 4th round if he doesn't tire.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
yeah ernie!. i knew he would have a chance. i feared he'd implode and give the match away after missing 3 straight 0-40 games but glad to see he didnt. he looked totally gassed at the end so we'll see what he has for next round

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
thats a shame, Gulbis is insufferable, Felix has time of course to get the experience needed in these big events

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a feeling these canadian youngsters will disappoint equally as the overhyped french guys did in the last 15 years.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts