Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:eek:

not quite the match I was after. For the first two sets, Kamil was truly peaking with the serve and BH outmatching Kei, Kei managed a fightback in set 2 but couldn't quite take the TB from a SP up. Not so much Kei played poorly but his opponent was really on fire and clutch.

The passing shots and BH, returns from Kamil were particularly strong.
Then the cramps came and the match turned around fast. Kei got super lucky today to win.

Bad luck for his opponent. I think Majchrzak will be really good if he can keep it up like this. To outlast Kei in BH exchanges and serve the spots so well is a strong set of skills to have. For his first slam match he played like a top 10 player for sure.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Re: AO R1: [8] Nishikori def. Majchrzak 3-6 6-7(6) 6-0 6-2 3-0 ret.

At least we won't be hearing big Keibot crying about Nishikori's luck for a while.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Wow. How lucky can Kei be? He was in total dire straits after losing that second set tiebreak.... Who is this guy Kamil??? Holy cow he has a deadly backhand DTL. That guy was playing lights out tennis until the cramp came. Not sure why he didn't take advantage of the ice towel from the beginning. That would have helped.

·
52,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Wow. How lucky can Kei be? He was in total dire straits after losing that second set tiebreak.... Who is this guy Kamil??? Holy cow he has a deadly backhand DTL. That guy was playing lights out tennis until the cramp came. Not sure why he didn't take advantage of the ice towel from the beginning. That would have helped.
yeah the BH was why Kei was struggling so much, the stats say Kamil was hitting 55/45 ratio CC/DTL which is insane. Also was just teeing off BH returns. Along with the ice towel, he didn't drink electrolyte water till the third set.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,192 Posts
But he was unlucky to face such a level of tennis in the 1st round from someone he doesn't know well and was not expecting such performance so the luck sort of evens out even if Kei should have lost the match.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
"He's too good, but this won't last much longer."

It's of course a politer way of saying the ever-so-desperate "HE'S PLAYING AT 500%!", and after saying that for the third or fourth time, it became a bit of crying wolf and I had to shut up. It did stop "lasting much longer" in the end, for an entirely unfortunate reason, and of course I'm not entirely happy about that either.

Just a ridiculous match in many ways. Majchrzak should certainly move up to the main tour pronto if those 2sets reflect his level/ability, but I don't really know.

·
52,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But he was unlucky to face such a level of tennis in the 1st round from someone he doesn't know well and was not expecting such performance so the luck sort of evens out even if Kei should have lost the match.
well after he hit that lucky let cord generated pass in the TB to go up *4-1 I thought it was just not Kei's day. But I didn't expect the luck to run out in this fashion.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Kamil played otu of his mind the first 2 sets, possibly the best GS performance from a qualifier in YEARS. Unlucky for Kei to face such a level so early. He did have many chances to break but Kamil kept hammering aces at key moments and pouncing on Kei's 2nd serve. I can't really fault Kei for feeling so frustrated whenever he was making inroads on the serve. I couldn't believe the composure for a guy ranked outside the top 150 and his general level of play. It was absurd, outgunning KEi's BH. Kei with a lucky break early, hopfully this gives him more life. I don't think the Pole can sustain this level often. Hope he can recover, just goes to show you the conditioning and mental fortitude required for these 5 set matches. Oof Kei, focus a little more.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
well after he hit that lucky let cord generated pass in the TB to go up *4-1 I thought it was just not Kei's day. But I didn't expect the luck to run out in this fashion.
Kei did manage to win the next 4 pts and had an SP. Wilted a bit as Kei does but really credit to Kamil for sustaining such a high level for 2 sets.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
lol at the comments here, if his opponent had an actualy injury or even if he choked you can call him lucky but cramps are not a random event at all.
Exactly, you could see Majchrzak was playing at 200%, first two sets were too intense for him I guess that he started cramping early in the 3rd, but big credit to him, he had no choice but to give it all today to have a chance.

Reading that Kei got lucky here is hilarious, when the same people blame him when he gets injured and retires in a match.
For once, he was the player with the better fitness, Majchrzak just gave it all and had no gas left in the third.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Exactly, you could see Majchrzak was playing at 200%, first two sets were too intense for him I guess that he started cramping early in the 3rd, but big credit to him, he had no choice but to give it all today to have a chance.

Reading that Kei got lucky here is hilarious, when the same people blame him when he gets injured and retires in a match.
For once, he was the player with the better fitness, Majchrzak just gave it all and had no gas left in the third.
Kamil really was playing 200% which would be enough for BO3, GS matches are a different beast. That's why the big 3 dominate these events.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Suggesting that this wasn't a stroke of luck is hilarious actually.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts