9,005 Posts
:sad:

I wanted Crazy Dani vs Nadal :bigcry:

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Baker booii.. :yeah:

Crazy Dani lived up to his billing apparently: [from 'britishtennis.net']

Jamie Baker has played the best tennis of his career during the Australian Open qualifying and his reward is a place in the main draw of the first Grand Slam of 2008 after a 6-4 6-4 victory over Daniel Koellerer.

The British number three has never before qualified for a Grand Slam and, against a notoriously difficult opponent who is renowned for stretching the laws of the game to the absolute limits, showed the level of mental strength that John Lloyd is crying out for ahead of next months Davis Cup tie in Argentina.

Baker started strongly, breaking his Austrian opponents serve immediately and holding his own serve for a 2-0 lead. Koellerer was clearly rattled and began stalking around the court intent on disrupting Bakers routine. By the fifth game Koellerer even tried an under arm serve to unsettle the 21 year old Scot, all to no avail. A single break was all Baker needed to claim the first set 6-4.

Both players began serving well in the second set and there were some tremendous rallies with Baker in particular hitting the ball with pin point accuracy from the back of the court. At 3-4 Baker hit four great serves much to the annoyance of his opponent and full of confidence the British player attacked Koellerers serve with a place in the main draw in his sights.

What followed was verging on farcical. With the score standing at 4-4 and deuce, Koellerer served a double fault. With Baker a point away from a crucial break, his opponent walked over to his chair and asked to see the trainer. An injury time out followed and Kollerer received treatment while Baker sat in his chair unable to believe what was happening. Koellerer eventually felt able to continue and proceeded to serve another double fault, much to the amusement of the crowd, handing Baker the opportunity to serve for the match. Another good service game wrapped up the match for a delighted Baker.

Jamie said: "I was ready for everything out there today and was so focussed throughout. I played confidently and think it was one of my best performances. To qualify for a Grand Slam is a huge step for me especially having quite a tough draw. I worked hard in the off season especially on my serve with my coach Keith Reynolds and also with Louis Cayer and I think that it has really helped me. Ive got nothing to lose now so Im just going to go out there and enjoy it.

:eek: or :lol:? I have mixed emotions about this guy..

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Baker booii.. :yeah:

Jamie Baker has played the best tennis of his career during the Australian Open qualifying and his reward is a place in the main draw of the first Grand Slam of 2008 after a 6-4 6-4 victory over Daniel Koellerer.

The British number three has never before qualified for a Grand Slam and, against a notoriously difficult opponent who is renowned for stretching the laws of the game to the absolute limits, showed the level of mental strength that John Lloyd is crying out for ahead of next months Davis Cup tie in Argentina.

Baker started strongly, breaking his Austrian opponents serve immediately and holding his own serve for a 2-0 lead. Koellerer was clearly rattled and began stalking around the court intent on disrupting Bakers routine. By the fifth game Koellerer even tried an under arm serve to unsettle the 21 year old Scot, all to no avail. A single break was all Baker needed to claim the first set 6-4.

Both players began serving well in the second set and there were some tremendous rallies with Baker in particular hitting the ball with pin point accuracy from the back of the court. At 3-4 Baker hit four great serves much to the annoyance of his opponent and full of confidence the British player attacked Koellerers serve with a place in the main draw in his sights.

What followed was verging on farcical. With the score standing at 4-4 and deuce, Koellerer served a double fault. With Baker a point away from a crucial break, his opponent walked over to his chair and asked to see the trainer. An injury time out followed and Kollerer received treatment while Baker sat in his chair unable to believe what was happening. Koellerer eventually felt able to continue and proceeded to serve another double fault, much to the amusement of the crowd, handing Baker the opportunity to serve for the match. Another good service game wrapped up the match for a delighted Baker.

Jamie said: "I was ready for everything out there today and was so focussed throughout. I played confidently and think it was one of my best performances. To qualify for a Grand Slam is a huge step for me especially having quite a tough draw. I worked hard in the off season especially on my serve with my coach Keith Reynolds and also with Louis Cayer and I think that it has really helped me. Ive got nothing to lose now so Im just going to go out there and enjoy it.

Great that Jamie kept calm for someone so inexperienced, good luck in the main draw :)

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Very well done Jamie! :eek: :bigclap:

A very tough qualifying draw, and he came through without dropping a set. A R1 encounter with Karlovic wasn't the nicest of draws, but, equally, his odds of winning are probably greater than they would be had he faced other players. Dr. Ivo isn't invincible, and a R1 defeat in Doha has left him with little match practice ahead of this week. Jamie's serve is a little weak, so it is hard not to see Dr. Ivo threatening breaks now and again, but if he remains patient when returning Karlovic's serve, he might get a few opportunities...

Wouldn't shock me if he goes a little further next week...

·
Registered
7,945 Posts

By the fifth game Koellerer even tried an under arm serve to unsettle the 21 year old Scot, all to no avail. A single break was all Baker needed to claim the first set 6-4.

With Baker a point away from a crucial break, his opponent walked over to his chair and asked to see the trainer. An injury time out followed and Kollerer received treatment while Baker sat in his chair unable to believe what was happening. Koellerer eventually felt able to continue and proceeded to serve another double fault, much to the amusement of the crowd, handing Baker the opportunity to serve for the match. Another good service game wrapped up the match for a delighted Baker.

Thanks for the report. Too bad, I'd loved to see Koellerer do that in a MD match.

·
Registered
32,550 Posts
Crazy Dani up to his old tricks again :lol:

Koellerer hit an under-arm serve in the fifth game of the first set, and took an injury time-out when Baker was one point away from a crucial break in the second.

But Baker knew what to expect having spoken to several players in the locker room about the Austrian's tactics.

"It was difficult, but I was expecting it as the players told me in the locker room how he tries to bend the rules," he said.

"The best way for me to go about it was not to give him any energy and focus on my game."

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nadal R1? That's too bad. Great stuff from Jamie though, too bad Bogo's out. :sad:

·
Registered
18,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imagine if Koellerer would have played Nadal :eek:

Koellerer doing fancy tricks or fighting because of Nadal's celebrations. Would have been a match to remember for sure :tears:

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Nadal R1? That's too bad. Great stuff from Jamie though, too bad Bogo's out. :sad:
No, Karlovic..

Jamie stands a chance if he can begin to pick off some of Karlovic's serves and frustrate him.. [although that could be said for any player I suppose..]

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Shock horror

Congrats Jamie...:D

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Can you imagine?

Day One Night match: Crazy Dani vs Nadal

:haha:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts