Mens Tennis Forums banner

AO QF: Murray def. Nishikori 6-3, 6-3, 6-1

5K views 64 replies 46 participants last post by  philosophicalarf 
#1 ·
Yeah. Um...

Yeah.

#4 ·
Re: AO QF: Murray def. Nishikori 6-3. 6-3, 6-1

Good stuff, Andy. Won about £20 because of the scoreline.

Very good performance. Shame Kei was a bit tired, but he fought well in the first 2 sets.

#7 ·

Andy gonna get bum fucked in Semis if he serves at 49% first serves.

That first set was very competitive and Nickosure E had 0-40 on Murrays serve to even it up.

#8 ·

Kei moved really well for being tired, Andy didn't serve all that well, but Andy destroyed on the returns. Smart on Andy to make Kei run as much as possible.

Reactions: jackieglover
#9 ·

Andy is in sublime form, Djokovic should be concerned.

of course Nishikori appeared a bit tired in this match BUT Murray seems much more calm and collected than in the past and his game is on fire! the Lendl affect.

I am pretty certain Murray will make the final at this point. Djokovic will need to beat Ferrer easily tonight, otherwise he may have trouble against Murray if he is not at 100% stamina.

it's funny I usually would give Murray a hard time for not having any big weapons, but a match like this sort of does show you that Andy is just overall extremely solid on all wings of his game. he doesn't really need to have a 'wonder shot' because he does everything so well. it's like he get a 9/10 on all facets of the game but misses that one masterclass shot.

it's good to see it all coming together for him though.... it's fascinating, Murray with a better mindset is really quite a better player. I don't know who the credit should go to, Lendl or Murray. of course it will be fascinating to see how Murray handles the SF's and potentially the Final

Reactions: jackieglover
#11 ·

Andy mentioned in the interview that the clouds and wind threw off his rhythm a little bit- hopefully he'll get his service rhythm back for Djokovic or Ferrer- he'll need it.

#12 ·

Wasn't bad from Andy though I thought at times his footwork was a bit lazy, dumping a few too many into the net.

Serving was lousy though - that needs to get 20% higher first serves.

Kei had nothing in the legs or that might well have been a huge fight.

And I am seriously done with these overnight matches now....so tired...

#13 ·

If Murray can get his first serve % higher than the abysmal 49% it is currently then he should give Djokovic a run for his money (assuming Djokovic gets past Ferrer - more than likely but you just never know....). Would love to see a 5 set Djokovic/Murray epic - with them being no.3 and no.4 for so long we really haven't seen them contest a great deal of big matches and would be great to see how Murray does after last year's final.

Other than the serve Murray looks great - great returns, great net skills. Well done to Kei for getting so far! Hoping for a great 2012 for him. :)

#15 ·

Murray was simply too good, he's going to give Djokovic/Ferrer a workout.

#18 ·

Scott is in a very good form and I expect him to win his first slam this weekend...there, I said it (as much as I would love Fed to add to his GS tally)

#19 ·

Horrible serve percentage and that fluffed tweener could have ended in tears. Other than that, to get off the court under 2 1/2 hours is a bonus.

Djoko v Ferrer will be an epic slugfest.

#21 ·

Oh well, we all know what will happen if he reaches the final.

#23 ·

Good and bad from Andy, I only seen last 2 sets. But first serve percentage is waaaay too low. 2nd serve seemed a little better & he was trying to vary serve rather than just rocket big one down. But still, the percentage remained low.

Serve like that against Nole, goodnight. However, I thought his returning & ball striking were excellent, backhand working a treat & forehand got him in nice positions. Won a high % points at the net too. And created alot of break points.

65% or slightly higher in semis coupled with the other parts of his game today, he has a shot at making another final. But small things make a difference at this level & Nole would eat Andy up if he serves like that. Of course, maybe Ferrer will win :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.