Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Zverevs first grand slam semi final, a bit later then most people predicted in 2017 but it seems like he finally learned how to play in slams.

Reactions: 64794

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
The amount of points won by big Alexander after hitting a 50km/h forehand from a neutral position was quite fascinating.

Reactions: 64794

·
Registered
779 Posts
Did not see Stan imploding like that, especially after that first set. Wow, congrats to Zverev. I’ve doubted him all tournament, but maybe almost no expectations is exactly what he needed.

·
justice for all
18,925 Posts
Although I’m Stan’s fan I’m not upset with this result at all. It’s good to gave a next generation player in the semis.
So well done to Sascha and I hope to see more good runs from him in the slams.
Too many exhos with Roger, huh? ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Very impressive from Zverev. I expected him to go away after the 1st set demolition but he didn't panic and upped his level while Stan's dropped. Stan's 1st serve percentage was woeful whereas Zverev's was ridiculously good at over 80% If Zverev can carry on serving like that, he is going to be really tough for anyone to beat.

·
Premium Member
29,587 Posts
Haha what a performance from Zverev in this tournament. After that horrendous serving at the ATP cup I thought he would throw another stinker in AO, like he usually does in slams. And now he's in the semi finals hardly having dropped a set in the whole tournament lolz

Reactions: sav001

·
The special one
14,914 Posts
What a transformation from a few weeks ago at ATP cup where Zverev looked completely devoid of any Confidence. Some people were even questioning whether he should've played this tournament at all. Good for him that he's turned things around and reached a first slam SF.

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
4,454 Posts
I woke up at 61 33 (for Wawrinka) and I thought it will be a nice day and I was kind of happy and positive.
Then it all started. 20 minutes later it was nearly over, Stan "imploded" and made tons of easy errors, Zverev served well and Wawrinkas biggest weakness (forehand return) was exposed heavily. In the end, this is a deserved win for Sasha Zverev and I can't even moan or find excuses.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Granted, my own comment from another thread was half-serious at best, but I'll quote it anyway since it seems more true than I realized at the time of writing it:
... Zverev has gotten his act together. No more double-digit double faults, no more being overly passive, no more slamrev. To put it simply but crudely, it is his f*cking time now.

·
25,425 Posts
Actually a pretty OK match overall, but it's just so sad to see how Stan can teeter badly even in Slams now. Stan was playing so well in the 1st Set, like he knew how to play Sascha. Really attacked and was moving the ball so well. Sascha served even OK in that Set but Stan was just too good. 2nd Set was kind of a servefest, where Sascha's serve began to be more effective and Stan's strokes began to just waver a bit. The serve pressure probably got to Stan and blinked.

No biggie as we know Stan can come back better in a Bo5 match, but he actually became worse and was also shanking a lot of BH strokes. 3rd Set was kind of a survival mode for Stan as Sascha also started to become more aggressive in his serve and FH combo in particular. But it still pretty surprising that Stan just can't find that rhythm back, and while he did keep it to 1 break, he just didn't hype himself up and looked tame.

4th Set was pretty bad though, just broke himself early and just crumbled. Sascha did the same in the 4th Set and was more aggressive than Stan. As per usual in these Stan shutdowns, just no pumping himself up as much, very poor and tentative shot selection, just waiting for his inevitable end. Oddly enough though, the last 3 games, somehow Stan just found his aggression again. With nothing to lose, he tried to again just get the FH moving and it seemingly worked again. But it was too late as Sascha's serve was locked in, and Stan just didn't find enough holes.

Really glad to see Stan reach the QF, but man, I do wonder if he does eventually find a time that he can put himself together in a match. Too many long matches this week that while commendable in his fight felt prolonged due to him not being able to pick himself up quickly than he should. I thought he'll pick up some of his form against Medvedev here, but for some reason just didn't feel hyped for it. Like he got trapped in his lax 1st Set and stayed there.

While I of course didn't want this result, still kudos to Sascha to finally reaching his 1st Slam SF. It has been a long wait for him for sure, and his quick matches have been seemingly helping him. No fuss and just kept believing and found control. Didn't serve as much DF's which is still pretty surreal. Would love to see a Sascha-Domi SF and see them slug it out again. And even against Nadal you would think he will have his chances (he did push Nadal on clay before). He said he's gonna donate all his winnings to the Bushfire Fund if he wins AO. He seems to be still pushing for that promise and would be an interesting story if that happens.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Zverev surprising all and having his breakthrough.
I hope he wins this all, it would be a heck of a story.
I like the guy the most out of the nextgenners. He is a nice fellow, and seems to have learned and matured a lot.
And afterall, he has the most solid game, one of the best backhands in the bussines and a serve that can blast everbody. It would be interesting a final between Sascha and Djoker. A bh war and a botfest of cosmical proportions.
Congestulations lad, kudos.

·
Super Moderator
22,557 Posts
Angel ?

80% first serve lmao. Ridiculous serving, only 1 DF in 19 second serves.

What a performance, I’m so happy for him, he finally performed extremely well in a slam. The meme is over. Slamrev no more. GOATrev. This is a big step forward. Dark horse for the tournament. Would love to see him win it all, would be a great story after all his slam struggles, and it would be good for a young player to win a slam.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts