Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer v the winner of the tough 2nd quarter takes it. Obviously.

I wouldn't write off Nadal if the court is playing like a grass court. I think it's the fact that he isn't bothered by low bouncing shots as much as some flat hitters are, because he puts so much spin on the ball that he can easily get it up and down into the court.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
"trasitional champ" Federer will be blown off the court by the unbridled genius of the Great Fabrice Santoro in 3 easy sets. 6-0, 6-2, 6-0. Triple bagel. Expected result.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I haven't seen any of the matches yet but if it is true that Federer's slice is skidding off the court like it does on grass, he would be a clear favourite against Djokovic (who was really starting to struggle against his slice B/H at the US Open). Don't know what would happen against Donut Dave. Would be a good match.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
On this surface I reckon Federer vs donut boy, both in good form, would be one hell of a contest with Federer coming out in 4 sets, 3 of them tight.

Fabrice Santoro is probably the betting favourite against Federer in the 2nd round but Federer has always been good at overcoming the odds.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
I haven't seen any of the matches yet but if it is true that Federer's slice is skidding off the court like it does on grass, he would be a clear favourite against Djokovic (who was really starting to struggle against his slice B/H at the AO). Don't know what would happen against Donut Dave. Would be a good match.
the low crosscourt slice was a shot Fed was using effectively many times he beat nalbandian

for some reason I dont see Nalbandian in the semi

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Federer will be the only true transitional champ, his reign will be greater than any other reign and thus he IS the transitional champ during his era of 'wonder'. Before and after Federer there will only be mediocrity.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scarecrows...I wasn't sure the B/H slice worked so well against Nalbandian when they played towards the end of last year as it does against Djokovic. Nalbandian seems to be able to generate a bit more topspin off the backhand side than Djokovic does. Nadal doesn't mind Fed's slice at all as he has no problem getting the ball up and down with his heavy topspin forehand.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Fed=ATPTourkilla... Despite the fact that your post was directed to Scarecrows...

Feds B/H slice was sitting up more on the hard court surfaces that he played Nalbandian on towards the tail-end of last year than it is on this surface at the Aussie Open. It is true though that Nalbandian does deal with low slices well, able to roll his hands over the ball. I have heard though from the tennis warehouse board though that Nalbandian currently looks like a 'giant lemon' (non sequitar).

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fed=ATPTourkilla... Despite the fact that your post was directed to Scarecrows...

Feds B/H slice was sitting up more on the hard court surfaces that he played Nalbandian on towards the tail-end of last year than it is on this surface at the Aussie Open. It is true though that Nalbandian does deal with low slices well, able to roll his hands over the ball. I have heard though from the tennis warehouse board though that Nalbandian currently looks like a 'giant lemon' (non sequitar).
Oh right... sounds like he's gone back to his rally cars and fast food. The tournament should be a foregone conclusion as usual, then.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Oh right... sounds like he's gone back to his rally cars and fast food. The tournament should be a foregone conclusion as usual, then.
Well yes, I would be surprised if Nalbandian doesn't win it (the lemon look alike contest).

As for the tennis, in all seriousness I think he has a good chance to reach the semis. I don't think a Federer vs the donut kid semi is unlikely at all. <--- bold statement.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
Scarecrows...I wasn't sure the B/H slice worked so well against Nalbandian when they played towards the end of last year as it does against Djokovic. Nalbandian seems to be able to generate a bit more topspin off the backhand side than Djokovic does. Nadal doesn't mind Fed's slice at all as he has no problem getting the ball up and down with his heavy topspin forehand.
end of last year it didnt, probably Nalby learned ho to deal with it

but i remember in some 2004-2006 matches where Federer was using that shot very much and was driving Bandy mad. Of Course Nalbandian wasnt playing as well as the end of last season

1 - 12 of 12 Posts