Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
21,072 Posts

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
What was wrong with green? Green was used at many events including the US Open.
The shade clashed with the ball a bit too much. Looking at old highlight vids the ball is a little hard to make out sometimes. The US Open's green shade was better. Just looking at these clips from the same year shows the difference I think.

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
Unless it was during night session, i can never see the ball on any pre 2008 low resolution video.

I would agree with green for a tennis court but not this green...
We're in 2019. We don't need to put up with videos "recorded on a potato", anymore.

The shade clashed with the ball a bit too much. Looking at old highlight vids the ball is a little hard to make out sometimes. The US Open's green shade was better. Just looking at these clips from the same year shows the difference I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u66gIG-wMT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq_TtstmxZE
There is a huge difference in quality in these two videos. :lol: This is a better quality video. Regardless, the quality would be much better today and there would be no issue seeing the ball. Didn't you watch the Australian Open on television before 2008?

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
Sure but I'll admit I didn't have a HD tele back then so maybe my memory's blurred.
Sky Sports and Eurosport were only streamed in SD back then, anyway. There was no option for HD and I was watching on a box as deep as my fridge.

SD on a television was good enough quality. Nobody complained back then. People are only moaning about these kind of things now.

Overall, I am basically a fan of one solid colour. I really don't like the standard blue with green.

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
Sky Sports and Eurosport were only streamed in SD back then, anyway. There was no option for HD and I was watching on a box as deep as my fridge.

SD on a television was good enough quality. Nobody complained back then. People are only moaning about these kind of things now.

Overall, I am basically a fan of one solid colour. I really don't like the standard blue with green.
Agreed that one colour is better. Quite like the Laver Cup grey. Unusual but very clear.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Re: AO changing from Plexicushion to GreenSet for 2020

Looking at stats, particularly aces but also first serve points won, those were stats similar to what we can see on medium-fast hard courts.

This is not the 1st year i have noticed it when it's hot and dry during the fortnight.
Intriguing stuff because i always hear how WB in current era slows down esp. into second week of tournament so wondering if this applies to mainly CC or the other courts at WB as well? Also curious as to which HC's were compared to as homogenization is another issue brought up regarding this surface esp. at USO?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

Intriguing stuff because i always hear how WB in current era slows down esp. into second week of tournament so wondering if this applies to mainly CC or the other courts at WB as well? Also curious as to which HC's were compared to as homogenization is another issue brought up regarding this surface esp. at USO?
Bolded part is a complete myth, more wear and tear and the grass court will quicken up but to what extend depends heavily on the weather, if it's hot the ground will get harder and the courts will be more lively. Roddick never been as dominant on serve against Federer as he did during the 2009 final, Federer hit 50 (!) aces too. Those were pretty quick conditions, similar to AO of recent years and probably quicker than any USO since 2003. I think it was a bit slower for this year final but still relatively quick by today's courts standards.

With more wear and tear, it becomes a lot easier to move across the court than on fresh grass, this can create an illusion that the courts are slower.

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
I really like black/dark grey but suspect it isn't catching on more because it'd be hot in outdoor events.
It's great for indoors with the lighting, but yeah outdoors unless it's a high altitude event it wouldn't work. Imagine the Australian Open on black courts. Like playing on a sponge.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Bolded part is a complete myth, more wear and tear and the grass court will quicken up but to what extend depends heavily on the weather, if it's hot the ground will get harder and the courts will be more lively. Roddick never been as dominant on serve against Federer as he did during the 2009 final, Federer hit 50 (!) aces too. Those were pretty quick conditions, similar to AO of recent years and probably quicker than any USO since 2003. I think it was a bit slower for this year final but still relatively quick by today's courts standards.

With more wear and tear, it becomes a lot easier to move across the court than on fresh grass, this can create an illusion that the courts are slower.
Does the bounce change much due to the change of grass conditions over course of the tournament or is that also mainly predicated on weather conditions?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

Does the bounce change much due to the change of grass conditions over course of the tournament or is that also mainly predicated on weather conditions?
Yes, bounce gets higher and higher and is also highly dependent on weather conditions. Even in the first few days, the bounce is higher than it should be for a grass court.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Federer definitely played better at this year's Wimbledon (perhaps even at RG but that's arguable) than he did at AO 2018 which he won.
He wasn’t that good in AO 2018, it’s just that his draw was cakewalk that year. 2017 AO was much better.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Really hoping for a faster court here. Talented shot makers who actually try to win the point will succeed and the overall tennis quality and variety will be much better. Slow courts are needed as well to keep variety but we have clay for that. If all courts are slow, then boringass pushers with no talent are the ones succeeding which will kill the game.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts