Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Re: AO changing from Plexicushion to GreenSet for 2020

Huh, first time I heard about that. Who was the previous supplier and what's the difference between the Plexicushion and GreenSet surfaces?

·
Registered
878 Posts

greenset is not the surface it is the new surface supplier. greenset worldwide will replace california sports' surface therefore the surface is not changing.

·
Your visions will happen
46,570 Posts

greenset is not the surface it is the new surface supplier. greenset worldwide will replace california sports' surface therefore the surface is not changing.
It is impossible for two different companies to do the surfacing and for the court to play exactly the same. The machinery used to lay it down, the atmosphere and weather during the surfacing, the chemical composition of the paint, etc. Probably very similar, but let us see the micro-differences in 2020

·
Registered
4,406 Posts

GreenSet was used for the 2010 Paris Masters event, which played fast. I hope the Australian Open in 2020 plays like that. There needs to be some fast courts on tour.
It was the surface type only, I quess, because they say GreenSet co. have been their partner for the last eight years when Paris actually became slower.

https://www.greenset.net

According to the draw sheets, GreenSet type was used in Paris for the last two years instead of the former acrylic on wood.

https://www.rolexparismasters.com/sites/bnppm7.ap2s.fr/files/MDS0511.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GreenSet

Plexicushion, Plexipave (similar surface, in use at IW), Deco Turf (in use at USO, Can, Cinci), Rebound Ace (ex-AO) are all manufactured and sold by California Products Corporation.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Is this the result of 40-15-rer flexing muscles in a desperate attempt to protect his slam count?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

GreenSet was used for the 2010 Paris Masters event, which played fast. I hope the Australian Open in 2020 plays like that. There needs to be some fast courts on tour.
Under normal conditions, AO has been the only major to play at least medium fast throughout the tournament unlike USO or Blue Clay & WB that slows down after wear & tear but trend seems to b toward homogenization or slowing down courts so will have to wait & see true conditions come AO season.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

Under normal conditions, AO has been the only major to play at least medium fast throughout the tournament unlike USO or Blue Clay & WB that slows down after wear & tear but trend seems to b toward homogenization or slowing down courts so will have to wait & see true conditions come AO season.
Wimbledon got quicker as the tournament went on.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts

Somewhat old news. I saw the article several weeks ago. My understanding is that they only changed the supplier, but will attempt to keep the surface the same, including their trademark blue color. How successful this attempt will be is a different question.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

His best slam in recent years has been the AO on Plexi.
And that was in the real Djokovic's absence. If energized Fed couldn't beat 70% of the real Djokovic in W, what would be his chances against him at AO? Fed certainly knows this, so he knows what to do.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

Care to reveal the source(s)?
Looking at stats, particularly aces but also first serve points won, those were stats similar to what we can see on medium-fast hard courts.

This is not the 1st year i have noticed it when it's hot and dry during the fortnight.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts