Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great performance from Pouille to get into his second slam QF. Coric will be kicking himself for not taking his golden opportunity to make his first slam QF. Could Pouille's new coach finally be working for him? Could he surprise us with a SF here?

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
By far the more talented player won. Good to see Pouille start the year well. Hope he has a good 2019.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Great performance from Pouille to get into his second slam QF. Coric will be kicking himself for not taking his golden opportunity to make his first slam QF. Could Pouille's new coach finally be working for him? Could he surprise us with a SF here?
Third actually, he made B2B QFs at Wimbledon and USO back in 2016. Was afraid his career trajectory would go the way of Kyrgios, but he looks back on track now, great performance today showcasing his touch, spin serve and aggressive ground strokes.

·
23,063 Posts
I really don't get why people are saying that Pouille is untalented and overranked. Yes, the guy can have stinkers, but that's his game -- pretty low percentage, not usually having the best serve to bail out his errors. Even so, what separates him from other inconsistent players is that he fights through matches, that even if he's in a losing spot he doesn't usually lose belief, and will try everything to come back. That being said, the latter Sets have him GOAT in his serves. Coric tried as he could but Pouille just outplayed him today. He has Mauresmo now in his corner, and hopefully that will give him more stability. When in tournaments, if he wins 1 or 2 matches, get ready to face a player close to Top 10 form, because that's how he usually rolls.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Pouille has always been a fantastic ball striker but not necessarily a great actual tennis "player". On song Pouille is actually great to watch with his fluid ground strokes and smooth movement. A win over someone like Coric is a sign that he's improving on that front and playing more thoughtfully. Borna isn't someone that you can usually beat with aimless shot selection and tactics.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Pouille :yeah:
Coric :hug:

First off, I'm really happy that Pouille is finally getting back on track after a poor 2018. The coaching change is paying dividends and I hope to see him more consistently in latter rounds of tournies (i.e. not bombing out in the first round every other week), especially big ones.

As for Coric, it obviously feels like a disappointing result given how the draw opened up for him... But let's not forget he had never been past the first round here before so making the second week still marks a significant step forward.

There were many signs pointing towards this outcome based on both players' previous matches. I had already tempered my AO expectations for Coric drastically after he faced Krajinovic and, from what I'd seen of Pouille here, thought the Frenchman had a good shot at the win.

A bittersweet result for me personally - but I'm glad it was Pouille rather than another player who took Coric out, and I'll be rooting for him in his next match.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Pouille won 4 matches this tournament in 7 days. To get another 4 wins together for him, you need to go back to Cincinnati.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Im curious what he does after the AO. Cause he admitted her burnt himself out early last year by playing too many tournaments. He and Mauresmo are looking to work on being more consistent on the baseline and returns. Which is his major issues.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I really don't get why people are saying that Pouille is untalented and overranked. Yes, the guy can have stinkers, but that's his game -- pretty low percentage, not usually having the best serve to bail out his errors. Even so, what separates him from other inconsistent players is that he fights through matches, that even if he's in a losing spot he doesn't usually lose belief, and will try everything to come back. That being said, the latter Sets have him GOAT in his serves. Coric tried as he could but Pouille just outplayed him today. He has Mauresmo now in his corner, and hopefully that will give him more stability. When in tournaments, if he wins 1 or 2 matches, get ready to face a player close to Top 10 form, because that's how he usually rolls.
First of all, those who say there are untalented players in top 100, let alone top 15, are folks, whose opinion should be dismissed pronto. :p
But seriously, while I really love Pouille's game, he's so bloody streaky... The bizarre thing about him is that his results never seem to reflect his form. He has all the parts, but somehow he always fails to arrange them in a logical and efficient manner. Maybe Amelie can help him with that. I'd love to see him finally take himself to the next level.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Many hating on Lucas Pouille here, but he has the talent, even though inconsistent.

Like both players, really pleased with this result.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Seriously people actually found this unexpected? Pouille is by far the more natural talented player and have a higher game ceiling. Comic on the other hand is super ordinary work horse.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Wow, i was pretty sure Lucas had a long losing streak last year. I'm chuckling atm remembering this one comment on L'Equipe "Even our last hope Federer didnt reach QF this time. Maybe we can finally grant him french nationality?" People completely forgot that Lucas is flying under the radar :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts