Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opposite of their previous match at Wimbledon which went 6/3, 7/5, 7/6

Federer played okay, can't really judge on matches against Karlovic. Ivo on the other hand actually played pretty well, wouldn't be surprised to see him get back into the top 20 this year as his movement and groundstrokes look like they have improved a little more.

First set went on serve, not a single break point with Ivo as usual with his perfect serving. Tiebreak was very tight with mini breaks for each player. Ivo got the first set point, however, Federer was able to hold his nerve and take the next 3 points to take the set.

Second set similarly went as usual, however, Ivo had the first BP opportunity of the match but was unable to convert. Federer then finally pounced after being up 6/5, got his first BP opportunities and took the set.

Federer played the third set well, returning well. A little bit casual here and there as he gave Ivo some BP chances, but it was a regular day at the office in the end.

Looks to be in good shape to continue through.

Reactions: Hugh Jaas

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
That point at *6-5 for Ivo in the TB :mad:
Anyway, a good tournament for Ivo and he lost with the same scoreline he beat Melzer in R1 here.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
As always, It's never easy with Ivo. Fed was obviously lucky in places but he thankfully started to read his serve in the 2nd set and it just propelled him to victory. :bigclap::bigclap:

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Congrats ROGI!

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
who knows what would happen if ivo converted that smash in the first set. Probably a true dogfight then.
I doubt it would have changed much. Federer was always going to get a better read on Karlovic's serve as the match goes on. I think Federer was a bit off since they haven't played each other since Wimbledon 2009 :confused:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Some nice passing shots from Rogi, hadn't seen much of those lately. Onwards you go champ!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
First two sets were a couple of the best sets I've seen Ivo play. Very few ugly errors, looked like he belonged with Roger out there off the ground.

·
Premium Member
20,682 Posts
Great win for Roger :D I was impressed with how he stayed so focused with no lapses in concentration. You have to be that way to keep looking for your chance to break Ivo (and to not lose your own serve in a loose game).

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Next match has no records at stake. QF streak (which he already owns) can be extended, as well as his chase for Connors. That, plus AO number 5.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

Good match from Roger. 55 Winners to 13 Unforced error.. The ratio looks pretty good. Keep it up champ! :worship: Some nice passing shots from Roger. Good interview with Jim Courier after the match as well. As Rafa once said that he wants to have Roger's forehand, today Jim asked Roger what he wants from Rafa's game. Roger says he wants to have Rafa's forehand, too! :lol:

Well done, Ivo! Nice run.. :hug:

Reactions: Rumour

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Good match from Roger. 55 Winners to 13 Unforced error.. The ratio looks pretty good. Keep it up champ! :worship: Some nice passing shots from Roger. Good interview with Jim Courier after the match as well. As Rafa once said that he wants to have Roger's forehand, today Jim asked Roger what he wants from Rafa's game. Roger says that he wants to have Rafa's forehand, too! :lol:

Well done, Ivo! Nice run.. :hug:
funny thing is jim courier in the commentary beforehand said Rafa wanted Roger's serve. did i hear wrong? or did jim make a mistake? I think serve might be the better option.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
funny thing is jim courier in the commentary beforehand said Rafa wanted Roger's serve. did i hear wrong? or did jim make a mistake? I think serve might be the better option.
Yes, I think Jim made a mistake. Nadal did say the serve.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Next match is against possibly two potential future top 8 players. Tomic and Dolgopolov. He should be comfortable against both, regardless whichever one comes out on top. Tomic has poor footwork, and Roger can exploit that. Dolgopolov has poor serves, so Roger can exploit that.

If Del Potro can manage to survive, we'll get another match between these two.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
again average serve speed 181-182

hope he's saving something for later on

great 2nd serve % points won

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Good performance from Rog. He had trouble picking Ivo's serve early on but once he started to read it, it was all too easy. The third set in particular was great from Roger. I am impressed how cool and calm he stayed. But I also think he made Ivo at the net look better than he really was by hitting passing shots right onto his racquets :eek:
However, those are just a few cons, overall it was a solid win :yeah:

Four to go Roger, Hopp! Good luck in the next round...

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Next match is against possibly two potential future top 8 players. Tomic and Dolgopolov. He should be comfortable against both, regardless whichever one comes out on top. Tomic has poor footwork, and Roger can exploit that. Dolgopolov has poor serves, so Roger can exploit that.

If Del Potro can manage to survive, we'll get another match between these two.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Yes, I think Jim made a mistake. Nadal did say the serve.
Nadull :rolleyes: implying that Fed is all serve

time to get over that 5th set Wimbledon 2007 final, you little pollyanna rat

1 - 20 of 51 Posts