Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should have won in straight sets if not for the choking. Had a set point in the first set, led by a break in the fourth and let himself down. Third set was peak 2014 USO GOATlic, golden service bagel (three breaks, three love holds) as part of an 11-game winning streak.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
is Marin "Mystery Box" Cilic the most enigmatic player on the tour?

·
The special one
14,382 Posts
I started watching from the start of the 3rd. Cilic peaked in that set, was absolutely unplayable. RBA only hit 4 UEs in a set he got bageled in, that should give you some idea how we'll Cilic was playing. Pretty much choked the 4th from a winning position but was the better player in the decider.

Should be a good match against the winner of Tsitsi/Roanic. He's played back to back 5 setters so might be fatigued though.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Baby steps... this was best I seen Marin play in a long time. Ajmo!

·
justice for all
15,197 Posts
Good 'old Marin in set 3. Probably the most unplayable player ever. Pity he cannot sustain this level for longer periods of play.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
should never underestimate Cilic, certainly one of the best players in the last decade well played today

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
3rd set was the level Marin played when he blew Federer off the court at the Us Open. Unfortunately that ship has sailed as Marin is a mental wreck. Most likely he will bend over to Djoker.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That 3rd set, jeez...

That patch of play was really something, one of the most unplayable patches of play I have ever seen.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
3rd set was the level Marin played when he blew Federer off the court at the Us Open. Unfortunately that ship has sailed as Marin is a mental wreck. Most likely he will bend over to Djoker.
A Croat would never bend over to a Serb, if you would have travelled the region you would know this. He is just not good enough, talent wise or mentally to match Novak.

But they are not meeting, Raonic/Tsitsi will beat Marin.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
A Croat would never bend over to a Serb, if you would have travelled the region you would know this. He is just not good enough, talent wise or mentally to match Novak.

Tennis got nothing to do with what you have said. The fact that Marin bends over to Djoker is not because he isnt good enough. Actually he has the weapons to beat Djoker. The bending over is because of the mental midgetry in this match up.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Well done Cilic! Saw some positive signs for him in ATP Cup but was wary of reading too much into it... In any case, this is only an upset 'on paper' given what both players have accomplished over the course of their respective careers.

This is almost a mirror image of their match here last year when Cilic was the top 10 player instead of RBA, won a first set TB and levelled the match in the fourth before losing the decider.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Tennis got nothing to do with what you have said. The fact that Marin bends over to Djoker is not because he isnt good enough. Actually he has the weapons to beat Djoker. The bending over is because of the mental midgetry in this match up.
Bending over means losing on purpose, do you think he is fixing the match?

the fact that @DinnerWarrior liked this inappropriate post proper shocked me btw.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't think Cilic was so mentally weak in this match. Sure, he let opportunities go, especially going from up a break to losing 5-7 in the 4th, but the fact that he didn't let that get to him and maintained a positive attitude throughout was a sign of mental strength to me. I think it was just that his amazing level from that 11-game winning streak finally went back down and so Agut was able to take advantage and crawl back into the set. I was thrilled to see Cilic win this match. I've always rooted for him and the last 18 months or so have been weird for him -- dunno why he played so badly up until now. Hope he can somehow figure out how to play consistently at the level of that third set -- that would certainly make things very interesting!! Oh, and Tsitsipas is down a set and a break against Raonic -- not looking good, but from Cilic's perspective I feel that he'd rather play against Raonic than Tsi.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Marin mother is Serbian so he also has 50% of Serbian heritage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts