Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good match but not impressed with Thiem's lack of dominance after the first set. He doesn't look like troubling Nadal should they meet in QF.

·
justice for all
15,842 Posts
Very good match from Dominic, well done champ! 3 down, 4 to go!
The rhythm is there now and the level of his play is getting better and better.
One set lost but Fritz was really good in that one so no shame in it.
This is 4th round so Dominic's best result equalled. And I'm quite positive he'll reach the QF this time, Monfils is beatable after all, no? ;-)

Come on, Dominic!!!! Keep it up!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Disagree here, Dom is now used to the match up and I like his chances this time.
i would love to see that match, considering how brutal their last encounter on HC was!

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
How are people bearish on Dominic's chances after this match? He's always vulnerable to big servers in early rounds, and he's now survived the two potential banana skins in his section. Next round he has PigeonFils. I don't think Rafa will be feeling confident at all should they meet in the quarterfinal.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's still a bit early for me, so I only watched the last one and a half set. Seems like Thiem is striking the ball well from what I saw. I like his chances against Monfils - it is not without reason he leads the h2h 5-0.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Fun match to watch. Thiem a little shaky. Needs to clean up his game if he wants to beat Rafa.

Fritz is improving very nicely, only 22 with lots of room to grow. He could be a main-stay in the top 15.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Stopped watching somewhere in set 3 totally expecting Domi to mess this up after the close second and third, boy that was the best hour I've slept in my life.
Perfectly fine with winning in 4 here, but would have crushed my laptop anyway after the rebreak in the 4th in case I had seen it. Obviously not the one I'm currently on, but the one I had to install Linux on because it was too shit for the pre-installed Windows.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
It was a bit of a scare at the end, Dominic should have won this fourth set earlier on. Breaking at 3-2 but then losing his serve immediately after, but he managed to finish it at 5-4.. Also, Dominic did not play the tie-break very well, so already 2 tie-breaks lost in this tournament, he should try to correct it. Next against Monfils, he never lost against him, so it should be a great opportunity to reach his first QF in Australia and he would then have nothing to lose against Rafa.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Just heared Thiem has already ended his work with Muster. But don't think this is of any importance, his main coach is and was Massu and this work has been outstandingly successful.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just heared Thiem has already ended his work with Muster. But don't think this is of any importance, his main coach is and was Massu and this work has been outstandingly successful.
doesn't surprise me. it was looking like Muster was constantly blabbering at Massu, and Massu had that look that said, just stfu

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
--

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Didn't get to watch this one. As a Thiem fan I wasn't impressed by his level in the previous matches. Beating Fritz on HC would have been a good sign a few years ago, now it's just a routine win and doesn't say much. I hope Domi is saving the best for last cause he's not beating any of the top players with his current level. His game is too up and down at the moment.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Didn't get to watch this one. As a Thiem fan I wasn't impressed by his level in the previous matches. Beating Fritz on HC would have been a good sign a few years ago, now it's just a routine win and doesn't say much. I hope Domi is saving the best for last cause he's not beating any of the top players with his current level. His game is too up and down at the moment.
Fritz has been playing decent tennis and served big, this is a good win for Thiem in what was a not so favorable matchup.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
just realised this was Thiem's furthest point in AO ever, never been able to pass forward R4, fingers crossed for this try.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Fritz has been playing decent tennis and served big, this is a good win for Thiem in what was a not so favorable matchup.
Like I said I didn't watch this one, but I watched his other matches at the AO and he wasn't where he needs to be to beat Nadal or Djokovic imo. Let's hope it was just a slow start and will show his best tennis against the best. I still believe that Thiem is the only person besides Nadal who could cause Djokovic some problems this year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts