Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A strong performance from Rublev (despite a slight hiccup in the end), who only faced one deuce on his serve and no BPs. Sugita isn't much of challenge, but still a straightforward win is reassuring. 21 aces to 2 double faults is a great stat.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
10:0 for the season
since Moscow: 20:2
since Cincinatti: 37:8

next up probably Goffin, a mini blockbuster so to say

Reactions: Ilkae and Manu_ser

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Good for Rublev to win in straights, I'm really intrested to see how much he still has in the tank. He played already a lot and had some marathons in Adelaide

·
The special one
14,807 Posts
Yeah great run he's been on the last few months. He doesn't have a great deal of points to defend the first half of the year, not much on HC and he missed a good chunk of the clay swing, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the top 10 by Wimbledon, if not earlier.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Good to see him progressing through the draw pretty easily, considering he won back to back titles just before the tournament.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I expected more from Sugita. I thought he would win a set or two even if he was going to lose, so a bit disappoitned. Nonetheless, Rublev played great. He was especially searving well the whole match giving Sugita no break points. Rublev definitely possesses one of the best forehands on the tour right now. It's so powerful and explosive. He can wit a winner off the wing from anywhere on the court. If he can overcome the inconsistecy that has been plaguing his young career, it will be only a matter of time for him to reach the top 5. Of course, the big question mark is whether or not he can maintaing the current form. He will definitely be tested in the next round, where he's likely to face Goffin, whose game could turn out a nightmere for Rublev, breaking his rhythm. Anyway, I'm disappointed in Sugita overall, but he semes to have gotten off to a good start this season. Losing in the second round of a GS tournament is an achivement for him from his standard. He was unluckly to draw the red hot Rublev, who is arguably the hottest player right now. I hope he will stay hearlthy and injury free for the rest of the year and reach the top 30 again.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Always liked Rublev. He can go full Thor's hammer on that forehand.
He has all the tools, needs a more consistent serve, and slightly better defence.
Looking forward to a great AO run.

·
justice for all
17,938 Posts
Quite a few Russians in this section of the draw: Rublev, Medvedev, essentially Zverev, pity only one of them can reach the semis. I just wonder when Rublev runs out of gas - or is he on a "Medvedev USO run"?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
RuBLeV shOuLd HaVe WitHdRAwn FrOM AdeLaINe tO bE Fit fOR tHE auStrAliAn oPEn.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Have no idea why people still talk about "run out of gas". He definitely has no problem with fit and has 48 hours to the next match...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts