Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a very musical person, but I find it hard to apply practically. I do vocals and play bass guitar, but don't really have the fingers for guitar, or the multimindedness for the piano.

So that's me, I'm interested to know about everyone else here.

Reactions: dijus

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
Piano, voice and a little guitar ( although it has been years since I picked one up and played)

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Posted this in another thread, but it's obviously relevent.

I played the violin for 3 years and the cello for 5 years so I love classical music. It's the only music that I think will last forever and will always be relevent. I would like to post some vids of some of the pieces I've performed over the years.

Faure's Pavane: I've played this 3 times. Full orchestra, orchestra, and chamber. These kids really impressed, especially the cello soloist since I know how hard that solo is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGBsFj65cb0&feature=related

Elgar's Nimrod: I played this when I was in this orchestra 2 years ago, but I'm not in this video. A very pretty piece. Difficult too.

http://lsu.facebook.com/share_redir...outube.com/watch?v=PZdnSpB50b8&sid=2257033507

Mozart's Symphony No. 25: my favorite from him. This is the theme from Amadeus, one of the funniest movies ever. This is a slightly different arrangment than I'm used to. The beginning is my favorite part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CoTlFNSkrs&feature=related

Beethoven's Egmont Overture: I :worship: this song. It was an honor to perform it. I may not know much about classical music or its history as I should, but I feel so much for Beethoven in this piece. It's such a dark, angry song with slight moments of airy lightness. I just love it. Please, just skip to 7:10, my favorite part is the end. It's just so fun to play!! Because I love to give it my all and play just as loud as my instrument can go, and I can do that in the end. So much power for such a small orchestra :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMC3aIgT8k

Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, mvt 4, In the Hall of the Mountain King: I'm actually performing in this. :D This was Louisiana All-State Orchestra, which is for high schoolers. It was my first time auditioning for it, and I got in. The guy from which the video never moves, was my section leader. So amazing that James. :worship: This song really is hard because it gets pregressively louder and faster, which is difficult on its own, harder when it's a 111 piece full orchestra, and I have a bass drum and 4 horns blasting in my ear, and a 14 year old cellist making me laugh in the middle of the piece. :lol: The whole thing is a cool piece, and it's really popular. It's one of those songs that everybody knows.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WdceUcHW-ws

Glinka's Russlan and Ludmilla Overture: This is honestly the hardest thing I've ever performed. It was so fast, but so nice in the end. We got a one minute standing ovation. :lol: Skip to 1:23 and again at 4:20 and 5:30 to the end for my favorite parts. The cello solos and the end. This is the LSU orchestra. We sounded better. :angel:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JxU4Nn4f3Gc

Pachelbel's Canon in D: I performed this in 5th grade when I was a 10 year old violinist. As concert master (a technical term basically for strongest violinist), my teacher let me pick a piece for our Spring concert. The 5th graders from the year before performed this, and I fell in love with it. It will always be my favorite song in history because I want to cry when I hear it. :sad: It was the last piece I played in elementary school. It was played at all 3 of my graduations, I performed it at my sister's surprise anniversary party, and I will play it at my wedding. It means that much to me. So enjoy the best song in history. This has no video. But just close your eyes and create the video in your head.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Af372EQLck&feature=related

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Nice thread..

I play piano and guitar.. although Im much better on the former of the two.

Definitely not a vocalist. :lol:

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Tenor and a guitarist mainly. However, I am essentially a composer and not a performer. I have also taken part in maybe 70 or 80 different concerts to date and attend 15 - 20 or so a year. Music is my LIFE.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Tenor and a guitarist mainly. However, I am essentially a composer and not a performer. I have also taken part in maybe 70 or 80 different concerts to date and attend 15 - 20 or so a year. Music is my LIFE.
What type of music do you compose? Classical, pop, techno shit [ :rocker2: ]? :)

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Nice idea for a thread. I play Organ mainly, but also Piano (I have lessons for Organ, but Piano is just a hobby of mine and I teach myself.) I play a bit of everything, latin, blues, showtunes, whatever i can get my hands on. But I'm first and foremost a classical musician. And blackgirltennis, isn't Pachelbel's Canon in D one of the best pieces ever. I'm currently working on a really lovely arrangement for Organ, and even though it's not the hardest piece to play, it's still a hell of a lot of fun. You've named some really lovely pieces, especially in the hall of the mountain king. A few of my faves to play are España Cani, Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca, anything from the Phantom of the Opera, Scene from Swan Lake (though not technically demanding, still a great piece), Adagio for Strings by Barber, and considering I'm an organist, Bach's Toccata e Fugue is one of my all time faves. Being an Organist, I'm also rather proficient at arranging music, since it's very hard to obtain Organ music I usually get it for instruments such as Piano or Guitar and arrange it for Organ, or even by ear and just write up the scores myself. I'm currently working on a piece by Astor Piazzolla (anyone who hasn't heard of him, he's a genius, sorry to any traditiontalist Argentines who might be reading this) and it's a guitar arrangement, but I'm fixing it up for Organ. Anyhow it's nice to see theres such a diversity of musicians on MTF

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
And blackgirltennis, isn't Pachelbel's Canon in D one of the best pieces ever. I'm currently working on a really lovely arrangement for Organ, and even though it's not the hardest piece to play, it's still a hell of a lot of fun. You've named some really lovely pieces, especially in the hall of the mountain king.
It is the best piece ever imo. :worship: It's amazing to believe it's almost 400 years old. :eek:

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
I play clarinet, saxophone, learning to play the piano, a bit of guitar and thinking of having a go at the trumpet :) I love to see what things other people play on here :p :)

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heya! I wish I could, but bass guitar isn't a very classical instrument. :p
I never specified classical anyway. Talk about hard rock to your heart's content :p

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
guitar, a bit of bass and of drums

1 - 20 of 51 Posts