Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In commentary he was finding so many excuses for Nadal, claiming he had an extra day off which is a disadvantage apparently, and that Nadal was playing really bad which allowed Novak to win.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yes - in comms box in the post match 'analysis' with him, his bro and Chris GenericUSSportcommentator it looked like he was chewing on a particularly lumpy, sweaty testicle such was his obvious discomfort with the result. Loved it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
John McEnroe is just a horrible commentator - everyone is the greatest this or that of all time. He has no understanding of tennis prior to 1975.

Also, I feel really bad for the Aussies, having to deal with Americans such as Jim Courier and John McEnroe giving player interviews after matches - what gives, this is not the US Open, I would expect seeing past Aussie greats like Rafter, Newcombe, or whomever, doing those interviews.

I am an American, and it even makes me cringe.

·
Premium Member
9,049 Posts
Wilander was pro Nadal in his comment too but Lendl was very cheerfull and friendly at Trophies presentation.

They are all human beings with their preferences.

IMO itis a problem when someone is ruling a tournament like Forget but comments :shrug: you just have to turn volume off.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's a surprise to me. Did not listen to his commentary nor watch the trophy ceremony but McEnroe has always been quite favorable to Djokovic in his commentary in the past, always acknowledging his good play and his achievements. What happened now to make him have a change of heart? Maybe too much winning by Djokovic? Or maybe he just had higher hopes for Nadal given his pre-final form and felt a need to rationalize his lackluster performance?

·
6,250 Posts
John McEnroe is just a horrible commentator - everyone is the greatest this or that of all time. He has no understanding of tennis prior to 1975.

Also, I feel really bad for the Aussies, having to deal with Americans such as Jim Courier and John McEnroe giving player interviews after matches - what gives, this is not the US Open, I would expect seeing past Aussie greats like Rafter, Newcombe, or whomever, doing those interviews.

I am an American, and it even makes me cringe.
I don't quite get this either.
At least Todd Woodbridge was the MC for the presentation ceremony, but still quite bizarre.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
McEnroe is a well-known Nadal tard. I remember he crowned him the GOAT as early as 2010, or something like that. After the rise of Djokovic and the continued success of Federer, he has since recanted.

·
Registered
486 Posts
He is a Rafatard, why are you surprised?
Mac's your typical talking head....says all kinds of shoit...all the time. Whatever is controversial....get people talking....he is a tennis tabloid.

Besides, isn't he buddybuddy with Djoke? I'm sure he went on a holiday jolly with him and the team.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a surprise to me. Did not listen to his commentary nor watch the trophy ceremony but McEnroe has always been quite favorable to Djokovic in his commentary in the past, always acknowledging his good play and his achievements. What happened now to make him have a change of heart? Maybe too much winning by Djokovic? Or maybe he just had higher hopes for Nadal given his pre-final form and felt a need to rationalize his lackluster performance?
He was making excuses left right and centre for Novak owning Rafa today. Said the courts suited Novak and that Djokovic benefitted from only having one day off and Rafa had 2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Excuses are just part of the game. How many times have we heard Djokovic and Federer fans say that they weren't on their game, or were mentally weak after a loss. It happens on practically every single slam final loss. Mcenore probably just saying things to provoke discussion rather than actually being a Nadal fan.

·
Registered
115 Posts
He was trying to save face probably after gloating how Nadal was playing best tennis evah for two weeks. I mean don't get me wrong no one expected the match to be this one sided but anyone who is not a tard would have seen Djokovic winning this, reasonable prediction being Djokovic in 4 in a fairly competitive match. Nadal had a very easy draw (close to US Open 17) and beat players who are just too green for this stage(Tiafoe and Tsitsipas), while Djokovic is in his usual solid slam form and ready to peak in the final.

I am glad Djokovic completely oblierated Nadal in this fashion as it has shown how some people who earning money for commentating about tennis are clueless most of the time. McEnroe has a limited understanding of the game, just because you are a great player does not necessarily make you a great analyst.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
JMac likes both Nadal and Novak. He was even saying pre-match that Nadal's "new" serve won't work against Novak. If he sympathizes with Nadal because of his injuries or he's his favorite player, what's wrong with that? He was always saying only nicest things about Novak, unlike Trollander and his ilk.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I admittedly did not watch the championship match due to time difference (and a late night for me on Saturday night after taking a day trip from DC to Philadelphia, not getting home until after 1 AM ET, and not getting to sleep until about 3 AM ET...or less than an hour before the match started), but I suspect the bolded part was the issue.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Barely anyone like Djokovic inside the tennis world. What's new ?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
In commentary he was finding so many excuses for Nadal, claiming he had an extra day off which is a disadvantage apparently, and that Nadal was playing really bad which allowed Novak to win.

MOronroe is a wanker of the highest order and when I found out a few weeks back that Gaston Gaudio once punched him in the face I laughed my ass off.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
So one commie is an ocean of Fed droolers prefers Nadal.

How unfair!!!! (maybe to Djokovic, but overall, the commie slant has not even begun to be anything remotely like "objective" or leaning toward Nadal. I will agree Djok probably gets the short end of it, but if he continues to perform like the GOAT, they will change their minds once again and redirect drool at Djok, it already happened once in 2015, it was Fed's resurgence in 2017 and Djok's slump that stopped it)

But I agree Mac is pretty bad in general. And Chris Fowler seems like a middle-aged model who wandered into a commie booth. Well Pmac is worse than both of them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts