Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a question. I am visiting Wimbledon (or any grandslam) for the first time on Monday and i intend to stay 3 days, however i do not have any tickets. No groundtickets nor any stadium tickets. I was wondering if i could be certain to receive groundtickets if i join the Queue on Monday morning. From what i have understood, being able to purchase Center or Court 1 tickets is very unlikely...

I am about to book a flight and hotel in a minute, i would just like to be certain that i can receive tickets first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a question. I am visiting Wimbledon (or any grandslam) for the first time on Monday and i intend to stay 3 days, however i do not have any tickets. No groundtickets nor any stadium tickets. I was wondering if i could be certain to receive groundtickets if i join the Queue on Monday morning. From what i have understood, being able to purchase Center or Court 1 tickets is very unlikely...

I am about to book a flight and hotel in a minute, i would just like to be certain that i can receive tickets first.
I queued first and second days and arrived around 9 AM and got no trouble getting in (but only getting there around noon eventually). I arrived a little before 5 AM on Wednesday and barely got a ticket to Center court (notice that people favored Court n°1 that day as Federer was playing there). About 30 people behind me there were only Court n°2 tickets still available.

Hope you find this helpful.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm also hoping to go Monday. I'm perfectly happy to just get a ground pass. I think I can arrive between 8 and 8:30. Does that sound feasible for this point in the tournament?

Do they still have the system where show court spectators can hand in their ticket if they leave early, and it gets re-sold at cut-price?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also hoping to go Monday. I'm perfectly happy to just get a ground pass. I think I can arrive between 8 and 8:30. Does that sound feasible for this point in the tournament?

Do they still have the system where show court spectators can hand in their ticket if they leave early, and it gets re-sold at cut-price?
I wouldn't know for sure, but it seems to me it would be ok.
Yes, there's a ticket re-sale at 5£ that opens mid-afternoon. I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I was a bit later than intended. I'm so bad at mornings, but I know a man who's worse...

Cycled to Southfields and got there about 8:25. Mr Pesto was supposed to be following hot on my wheels, and I expected to be overtaken en route, but he didn't arrive until ten to nine, and was much sworn at in absentia. So we probably joined the queue at about 9. We were numbers 7893 and 7894 in the queue, and they were allowing 8000 in. So he narrowly avoided a horrendous fate. We got through the ticket booths at about 12:10.

As it was 2nd Monday, there were lots of interesting matches on outer courts, but the queues for singles matches on courts 12 and 18 were pretty long with no shade, so we gave those a miss. The resales booth had a long queue too. We ended up seeing mixed, women's and men's doubles and women's singles, caught a glimpse of a few juniors and spied on some meeja folks. Ended up in a Southfield pub on a table next to some WTA players.

Queuing wasn't a bad experience at all, but it was hot, hot, hot. I'd do it again, so long as mein lieber Herr understands that if he cuts it that fine again he will Pray for Death. If we'd been earlier we could probably have got onto one of the bigger outer courts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was a bit later than intended. I'm so bad at mornings, but I know a man who's worse...

Cycled to Southfields and got there about 8:25. Mr Pesto was supposed to be following hot on my wheels, and I expected to be overtaken en route, but he didn't arrive until ten to nine, and was much sworn at in absentia. So we probably joined the queue at about 9. We were numbers 7893 and 7894 in the queue, and they were allowing 8000 in. So he narrowly avoided a horrendous fate. We got through the ticket booths at about 12:10.

As it was 2nd Monday, there were lots of interesting matches on outer courts, but the queues for singles matches on courts 12 and 18 were pretty long with no shade, so we gave those a miss. The resales booth had a long queue too. We ended up seeing mixed, women's and men's doubles and women's singles, caught a glimpse of a few juniors and spied on some meeja folks. Ended up in a Southfield pub on a table next to some WTA players.

Queuing wasn't a bad experience at all, but it was hot, hot, hot. I'd do it again, so long as mein lieber Herr understands that if he cuts it that fine again he will Pray for Death. If we'd been earlier we could probably have got onto one of the bigger outer courts.
If you get in there too late, getting an unreserved seat for an interesting match is highly unlikely indeed.
First monday I arrived around 9:00 and got number 6623. I'm guessing second Monday is the most crowdy as all 4th round matches take place then.

·
Registered
951 Posts
We still had a great day, but would definitely try to get there earlier if we went on second Monday again. I think we've found a better place to leave the bikes that would cut down our journey time, but most of all, I need to make sure that the boy leaves home earlier.

I suspect it was pretty much as busy as it will get. All 4th round matches, as you say. The top 4 seeds in both singles draws were still in, and there were still home hopes in doubles and juniors. And the weather was great.

The queue steward said that to get show court tickets for Monday, you'd have had to be in the queue on Saturday.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts