Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I do understand what you are saying, and Wimbledon is very crowded and this can get very frustrated if you have noobs claiming seats and spots at matches that you really want to see or causing congestion, but I somewhat prefer it over Roland Garros. At least at Wimbledon there is almost always a way to see the match of your favourites, even if you arrive late because you were watching another match you are interested in. The downside is that you often have to watch standing. At RG, the courts are often so packed that you need to queue a long time to get into the courts, and you'd better arrive very early, preferably during the previous match, just to clinch a seat. Not only does this mean that the crowd is often not really into the match you are watching - they just want it to get over with so they can see their match of choice - but it also means that you yourself are forced to watch something that you'd not pay money for to see. I also think the crowd at RG is generally a lot ruder.

So I have to jump to Wimbledon's defense :p

Oh and yeah, the overnight queuing was so much fun this year, but I actually dozed off the following day :lol:
:p I have no problem to watch standing. I watched Grosjean vs Volandri match in Aussie Open for over 3 hours guess from the beginning to the end, totally standing under a very burning sun, and still enjoyed it. The problem of RG is even you choose to stand, because of the structure of some courts, maybe you still can not see anything or just a corner of the court, and a lot of courts are too congested even in the roads connecting court to court. And a match on clay means a lot more long rallies, so you could have to wait for long time if you leave the court and want to be back again. However, i still love RG, but maybe will prefer Wimbly more after I visit there :p.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry Martijn - have to agree with Jess on this one. There are way too many tickets for outside courts at Wimbledon in my opinion, resulting in huge crowds blocking the alleys between courts, and loads of pushing and jostling for the right to stand around a small court with only enough seats for a couple of hundred people :rolleyes:
Aren't the outside courts in the southern half of the grounds being reconfigured with wider walkways this year? I think I heard that this was the plan when the new No.2 court was built, and it makes sense that this would be the year it would be implemented as they are replacing the old No.2 court with a slightly smaller one, which should make some space available. There is no getting away from the fact that it would be better if the site was larger, but I think the club has done as much to improve the facilities as the space will allow.

It's an annoying fact about many celebrated sporting facilities in the UK that when they were created so many years ago no-one had any idea how much space it would be desirable to have in the 21st century. Other examples are Lord's, the world's most historic cricket ground, which will only have about 37,000 seats even when the site has been redeveloped at a cost of £400 million, most of the other test match cricket grounds, and many of the football grounds, eg Old Trafford, where the one side that has not been expanded backs onto a railway line. In an ideal world all these historic facilities would be retained, but so many of them just can't be expanded as much as one would like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first post :angel:

I'm a huge fan of tennis and always watching it on Eurosport, but I would really like to watch it with people who also care about it and just feel.. ehm... ja... team spirit, you can call it. So I would like to visit Wimbledon this year.

First of all, I don't have 600pounds to give out for a ticket... so I remembered that I saw a lot of people sitting on the grass and watching tennis outside of stadion on big screens, so I searched for some info and I understood that this places are specially made for people like me and you need to get special pass that cost arounf 30-60pounds (correct me, please, if i'm wrong). And as I undestand I can get it in the morning (very early morning) the same day I want to get this pass.

So actually, what I need is to find some hotel near Wimbledon stadion and be early before tickets sale will start. Am I on right track in here?

THank you very much for your time :worship:

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts

I'm a huge fan of tennis and always watching it on Eurosport, but I would really like to watch it with people who also care about it and just feel.. ehm... ja... team spirit, you can call it. So I would like to visit Wimbledon this year.

First of all, I don't have 600pounds to give out for a ticket... so I remembered that I saw a lot of people sitting on the grass and watching tennis outside of stadion on big screens, so I searched for some info and I understood that this places are specially made for people like me and you need to get special pass that cost arounf 30-60pounds (correct me, please, if i'm wrong). And as I undestand I can get it in the morning (very early morning) the same day I want to get this pass.

So actually, what I need is to find some hotel near Wimbledon stadion and be early before tickets sale will start. Am I on right track in here?

Hello aphrodita, and welcome to MTF :wavey: Yes you can buy Grounds Tickets on the day at Wimbledon, and they will give you access to the grassy area you speak of. They call it Henman Hill, and it is a big picnic area with screens, where you can watch the main court action. These Grounds Passes also allow you into all the outside courts, so you can watch live tennis too. They cost around £25.00-£30.00 for the day I think, and if you get there by about 7.00am you will get in before play starts.

Wimbledon also sell a small number of Show Court tickets at the Box Office every day too (around 500 for each court I think), but if you wanted those, you would have to be prepared to queue overnight to buy them.

About Hotels - well Wimbledon is a very expensive area and not many Hotels nearby, but there are a couple of tube stations near to the Stadium, so you would probably be better off staying somewhere a little farther away, but on that Tube line - maybe Earls Court, Putney or Fulham? Try looking at a London Tourist Board website for Hotels - WImbledon is on the District Underground Line (coloured green on the maps). Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wimbledon also sell a small number of Show Court tickets at the Box Office every day too (around 500 for each court I think), but if you wanted those, you would have to be prepared to queue overnight to buy them.
First of all thank you very much for taking time to explain everything to nooby :)
Well, 500pounds is a bit out of my budget and overnight for the first time to get this tickets seems a bit extreme for the first time :)

About Hotels - well Wimbledon is a very expensive area and not many Hotels nearby, but there are a couple of tube stations near to the Stadium, so you would probably be better off staying somewhere a little farther away, but on that Tube line - maybe Earls Court, Putney or Fulham? Try looking at a London Tourist Board website for Hotels - WImbledon is on the District Underground Line (coloured green on the maps). Hope that helps a bit.
I will look this weekend what I can find in advised area :) I was already thinking that hotels around or too close to Wimbledon can cost a lot, so will search for cheaper version. Anyway, it's about tennis - not about hotels :) Anyway, thank you :worship:

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
First of all thank you very much for taking time to explain everything to nooby :)
Well, 500pounds is a bit out of my budget and overnight for the first time to get this tickets seems a bit extreme for the first time :)

I will look this weekend what I can find in advised area :) I was already thinking that hotels around or too close to Wimbledon can cost a lot, so will search for cheaper version. Anyway, it's about tennis - not about hotels :) Anyway, thank you :worship:
You're welcome :hug: Btw - the tickets you buy for Show Courts on the day are not £500.00. They are just normal price, which is around £40.00-£50.00 for Centre Court I think. I meant that they sell 500 tickets for each court per day to the people who queue. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

·
MONSOON season.
81,389 Posts

Welcome to MTF :bigwave:

It sounds to me like you are on a budget, and that is the way I have always done Wimbledon (and I think it might also be the nicest way to do it ;)). So my advice to you would be:
  • Don't go for a hotel, but for a hostel. You will be watching tennis all day long and will have to start queuing very early on, so there is pretty much nothing you need aside from a bed and a shower. You can save yourself a lot of money if you take a bed in a dorm. I can recommend a hostel near Gloucester Road and Earl's Court (Earl's Court has great restaurants in the area and the tube station is on the line to Southfields where you will need to get off for Wimbledon).
  • Don't look for a place to stay near Wimbledon. It is one of the most expensive areas of London and chances are you will still need to use the public transport. So you might as well stay in the city centre, where there are cheaper places to get your food and from where it will be a lot easier to do some sightseeing (and London is worth it ;)). Yes, you might need to travel for 40 minutes or something, but that is not really a big deal.
  • Depending on how big a tennis fanatic you are, you might be interested in attending the qualifying tournament. It is held in an absolutely beautiful place (Roehampton) and is free of charge. It is what I enjoy most about Wimbledon, but I do admit that I have a weird knack of supporting quite a few players that don't have a direct entry into the main draw. In any case, the atmosphere there is amazing there.
  • If you travel from The Netherlands, I strongly recommend to take the Eurostar. If you book in advance you will pay 70 euros return (admittedly from Brussels). You will be in the centre of London within 2.5 hours and it is a very comfortable train ride as well. It beats the low-budget airlines and the Eurolines bus (I have tried all three).
:party: Wimbledon is amazing, so have fun!

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
This will be my 9th successive year in attendance.

Never applied for the ballot before. I prefer to pick the days I queue for show courts, depending on daily OOPs.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Looks like the trend is more and more reserved seating, and reduced access for ground passes.

I guess it's inevitable when demand for tickets is so high. :shrug:

·
#freeviktor
93,846 Posts
They will have a new Court 3 BUILT this year

It is being made over the space where Cts 2 and 6 used to be (No sitting on grass by 6 any mor:made:mad:)

BUT

It won't be ready to use until 2011:eek: !!!!

So Ground passes are going to really struggle for space:confused: !!!!
Oh man, that is awful. Firstly, because after a night of not really sleeping in the queue, it was always nice to lay down on the grass over there and take a little nap :angel:

Secondly because ground passes already struggled for space :rolls: I think me and Wimbledon are over :sad: If I ever go again I think I will just do quallies and that is IT.

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
They will have a new Court 3 BUILT this year

It is being made over the space where Cts 2 and 6 used to be (No sitting on grass by 6 any mor:made:mad:)

BUT

It won't be ready to use until 2011:eek: !!!!

So Ground passes are going to really struggle for space:confused: !!!!
:eek: Did not know that. Last year was so overcrowded it was unbelievable, you almost had to be at a court before 11am to guarantee a seat for the first match :rolleyes:

I never normally watch a whole match, usually watch a set of one match then move on and find another one to watch but was struggling last year to find space to watch matches - this will just make it worse :mad:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Hi,

I will be in London from 19 to 22th June. And since Wimby starts on 21st - I would be able to visit the first day. Could you please tell me if it is possible to buy tickets for one day only and how to do it

Thanks in advance

·
#freeviktor
93,846 Posts
Hi,

I will be in London from 19 to 22th June. And since Wimby starts on 21st - I would be able to visit the first day. Could you please tell me if it is possible to buy tickets for one day only and how to do it

Thanks in advance
If you are able to attend Wimbledon the first Monday, the only way you can get tickets is if you queue. It's easy enough to do :) First just decide what kind of ticket you want because that determines what time you should get there. If you decide you really want to be able to get Centre Court, for the first day? Honestly you should show up probably around noon on Sunday (or earlier :tape: ) if you want to be pretty certain of getting it. You also have to consider what side of the draw Murray is on. If Murray will be playing on the first day, then the earlier you get in the queue, the better off you will be. I entered the queue at about 5 pm on Sunday last year and I was not even close to getting either Centre or Court 1 for the first Monday.

If all you want is a grounds pass, to just be able to experience the Wimbledon experience, you can show up at about 7 am Monday, wait in the queue, and you'll be set. Make sure you have cash on you to pay for your ticket, as you will not be able to use any credit or debit cards :D (The stewards will tell you that about a million times while you stand in the queue, so... you don't have to remember me telling you that now. :D) With a grounds pass you can see all the courts except Centre, Court 1, Court 2.

If you have any other questions, everyone in this thread is helpful :D A lot of MTF-ers attend Wimbledon fairly regularly :wavey:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm going to qualies for a couple of days and I plan to queue on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of the first week. Just praying it will be able 10C cooler this year!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree that Wimbledon can be a bit of a pain because a lot of people turn up 'to be seen' and to say that they have been but at the same time, even though the grounds are generally packed to the rafters, I normally don't have a problem getting a good view or a good seat for the matches I want to watch. You just need a bit of patience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum and I will be in London from June 18th until 25th. I already have tickets for Court n°1 on June 24th.

Does anyone on the forum have plans to meet there ?

Thanks

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
:eek: Did not know that. Last year was so overcrowded it was unbelievable, you almost had to be at a court before 11am to guarantee a seat for the first match :rolleyes:

I never normally watch a whole match, usually watch a set of one match then move on and find another one to watch but was struggling last year to find space to watch matches - this will just make it worse :mad:
I had exactly the same problem. It has become ridiculous, I used to love going most days during the first week and walk round all the matches, but now it is crazy. I doubt I'll go more than a day or two. I wish they'd stop thinking about money and cut the number of ground passes available.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I'm unexpectedly going to be in London on the middle Saturday this year, but I don't get into Gatwick until 9.30am. Does anyone have a clue my chances of getting into Wimbledon? Slim, non-existent?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts