Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Me too. Probably i will stay for the whole first week.
So far i plan to stay in London for three weeks, including watching the Queen's and the Wimbledon (the 1st week as you). I don't have the Wimbledon tickets, so i will queue for the GP :p

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far i plan to stay in London for three weeks, including watching the Queen's and the Wimbledon (the 1st week as you). I don't have the Wimbledon tickets, so i will queue for the GP :p
me too i will queue for Grand Pass

·
#freeviktor
93,846 Posts
I will probably be going for the third time next year :D I hope to actually extend my trip a bit and maybe go to two days of quallies (Wed + Thurs) and then maybe Monday - Thursday of main draw :)

If anyone has queueing questions or anything, I can try to answer :) :wavey:

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will probably be going for the third time next year :D I hope to actually extend my trip a bit and maybe go to two days of quallies (Wed + Thurs) and then maybe Monday - Thursday of main draw :)

Any tips about cheap hotels :eek:

·
Registered
5,773 Posts

Hi Troickitard :wavey: it's good to get the advice from someone who has the Wimbledon experience. I will prepare the tent and sleeping bag anyway, but if i just want to get the GP for the early rounds, can i queue early in the morning? say around 7:00AM - 7:30AM? how many hours do i need to queue to get a GP? What about the other show courts (even center court)? If I queue over night, can i have the chance to get a ticket for the center court? Thanks in advance :p

·
MONSOON season.
81,394 Posts
Hi Troickitard :wavey: it's good to get the advice from someone who has the Wimbledon experience. I will prepare the tent and sleeping bag anyway, but if i just want to get the GP for the early rounds, can i queue early in the morning? say around 7:00AM - 7:30AM? how many hours do i need to queue to get a GP? What about the other show courts (even center court)? If I queue over night, can i have the chance to get a ticket for the center court? Thanks in advance :p
Yes, that should be fine :yeah: No need to come earlier. You'll queue for about three hours, but you're moving and at one point you'll be inside the grounds but still waiting.

If you want show court tickets you will need to queue overnight.

·
#freeviktor
93,846 Posts
Any tips about cheap hotels :eek:
Not really... my hotels are usually the one thing I spend more on :hug: I'm not a big fan of hostels and such. :sad:

Yes, that would be fine for a grounds pass. You will need to queue over night for any show court, including centre :) We got center court two years ago for Tuesday when we entered the queue around 7:30-8 pm, Monday night. Although if you plan on queuing to try to get centre court for the first Monday you should get there much earlier than that on the Sunday as for the first day people start queuing much earlier. Last year we started around 5 pm and we were nowhere near getting centre... I forget what we were able to get.. I think we even missed court 1. So if that's when you plan to try to get centre, I'd probably get there by noon on Sunday at the latest. :unsure:

But also it depends on the draw, because I'm pretty sure Murray was playing on Monday last year.. so always think about that also :)

Hope to be going for the fifth time :hearts:
:rocker: :rocker:

Yes, that should be fine :yeah: No need to come earlier. You'll queue for about three hours, but you're moving and at one point you'll be inside the grounds but still waiting.

If you want show court tickets you will need to queue overnight.
Yup, what he said.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Thank you both :wavey:. Three hours looks fine for me, much less than I originally thought. That means I can get into the courts around 10:30A.M., then before the matches begin, I can catch some training sessions.

I don’t specially plan to look for the center court ticket on a fixed day. If Monday is too difficult to get one, then I am fine to change it to Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, any of them! I just want to get the experience of sitting and watching the matches in the center court or some other show courts of Wimbledon, doesn’t matter to watch whose matches. Think I still will spend most of my time on the outside small courts even if having the luck to get one center court ticket.

Anyway, that will be fun to camp all night long for the queue if any chance. I never quequed over night for sth before, looks cool~:bounce:

·
#freeviktor
93,846 Posts
It is fun :yeah: I like doing it :) And if you don't have a specific player you want to see, then it will be fine. What we did 2 years ago is when we left the grounds from the day before's tennis... like 7 pm or so, we just got right into the queue :) So, it's a lot of fun :)

Watching the outside courts at Wimbledon are not as much fun for me as it is at other tournaments, they give away too many grounds passes (in my opinion) and the outside courts are very crowded, and there is not adequate seating at many of them. But you'll still have a great time :D

·
MONSOON season.
81,394 Posts
It is fun :yeah: I like doing it :) And if you don't have a specific player you want to see, then it will be fine. What we did 2 years ago is when we left the grounds from the day before's tennis... like 7 pm or so, we just got right into the queue :) So, it's a lot of fun :)

Watching the outside courts at Wimbledon are not as much fun for me as it is at other tournaments, they give away too many grounds passes (in my opinion) and the outside courts are very crowded, and there is not adequate seating at many of them. But you'll still have a great time :D
I do understand what you are saying, and Wimbledon is very crowded and this can get very frustrated if you have noobs claiming seats and spots at matches that you really want to see or causing congestion, but I somewhat prefer it over Roland Garros. At least at Wimbledon there is almost always a way to see the match of your favourites, even if you arrive late because you were watching another match you are interested in. The downside is that you often have to watch standing. At RG, the courts are often so packed that you need to queue a long time to get into the courts, and you'd better arrive very early, preferably during the previous match, just to clinch a seat. Not only does this mean that the crowd is often not really into the match you are watching - they just want it to get over with so they can see their match of choice - but it also means that you yourself are forced to watch something that you'd not pay money for to see. I also think the crowd at RG is generally a lot ruder.

So I have to jump to Wimbledon's defense :p

Oh and yeah, the overnight queuing was so much fun this year, but I actually dozed off the following day :lol:

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Sorry Martijn - have to agree with Jess on this one. There are way too many tickets for outside courts at Wimbledon in my opinion, resulting in huge crowds blocking the alleys between courts, and loads of pushing and jostling for the right to stand around a small court with only enough seats for a couple of hundred people :rolleyes: I do agree about the need to get on courts early at RG, but then I've had to do that to ensure a seat for an outside court at Wimbledon too :shrug: And, I know I'm in a minority here, but even though I live locally, I think Wimby is vastly overrated and RG is way better in every respect. Just my opinion anyway.

·
MONSOON season.
81,394 Posts
Sorry Martijn - have to agree with Jess on this one. There are way too many tickets for outside courts at Wimbledon in my opinion, resulting in huge crowds blocking the alleys between courts, and loads of pushing and jostling for the right to stand around a small court with only enough seats for a couple of hundred people :rolleyes: I do agree about the need to get on courts early at RG, but then I've had to do that to ensure a seat for an outside court at Wimbledon too :shrug: And, I know I'm in a minority here, but even though I live locally, I think Wimby is vastly overrated and RG is way better in every respect. Just my opinion anyway.
For a seat, yes. Wimbledon has way too few seats, and unfortunately half of them seem to be reserved as well. However, if you want to watch the match standing up, Wimbledon is way better, especially for moving around. Court 4 and then some big ones on the other side of the venue are impossible to get access to, but all the others are more or less easily reachable. That having been said, I will recognize that Wimbledon, in this sense, discriminates against people that are physically unable to stand for a long time.

·
#freeviktor
93,846 Posts
I do understand what you are saying, and Wimbledon is very crowded and this can get very frustrated if you have noobs claiming seats and spots at matches that you really want to see or causing congestion, but I somewhat prefer it over Roland Garros. At least at Wimbledon there is almost always a way to see the match of your favourites, even if you arrive late because you were watching another match you are interested in. The downside is that you often have to watch standing. At RG, the courts are often so packed that you need to queue a long time to get into the courts, and you'd better arrive very early, preferably during the previous match, just to clinch a seat. Not only does this mean that the crowd is often not really into the match you are watching - they just want it to get over with so they can see their match of choice - but it also means that you yourself are forced to watch something that you'd not pay money for to see. I also think the crowd at RG is generally a lot ruder.

So I have to jump to Wimbledon's defense :p

Oh and yeah, the overnight queuing was so much fun this year, but I actually dozed off the following day :lol:
I dozed off too, I think we dozed off together at whatever that court is where you can lie on the grass :hearts: perfect for napping at some random match.

The USO has perfect outside court seating. Lots of seats at EVERY court, it's very easy to hop around between courts and still get a seat. You almost feel at Wimbledon that you have to watch every match from start to finish unless you want to stand. Which is why I ended up watching mostly WTA at Wimbledon because I couldn't commit myself to a 5 set match when there were other people to see. :rolls:

So if I'm going to defend a Slam for hopping around outside courts :inlove: not to mention that you can get into Armstrong with a grounds pass and get good seats there... USO wins :) RG I can't speak too much on because I was only ever there just one day, but I think all the Slams have different perks... but for Wimbledon, outside court seating isn't one of them IMO.

And Tijn it is not a problem to watch standing if you are TALL. Think of me here :( I can see nothing if people are standing :rolls:

·
Registered
5,773 Posts

:hearts: Jealous!! I will grab someone to camp with me. RG for me is already very crowded, i just hope Wimbledon is not even more. Big number of people can also bring great atmosphere, but i've been stuck in the crowd for several times in RG when some big show court matches were over and a lot people got out, not even moving a step sometimes, which was not an interesting memory.:p

1 - 20 of 67 Posts