Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
I am definitely going! :bounce:

I haven't bought any tickets yet though. I will be going for the free pre-tournament weekend/qualies, probably Monday, either Tuesday or Wednesday... and then we'll see. I took the week off work. :D

·
10,272 Posts
All these Canadians going to Toronto.

Would you all meet up or is everyone more prone to be anonymous?

·
28,452 Posts
I think I might go to Toronto. I never have before, only Montreal most of the last ten years. Any tips for Toronto?

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
I think I might go to Toronto. I never have before, only Montreal most of the last ten years. Any tips for Toronto?
As ThiemsBackhand said, parking is rough -- very expensive and you still have to walk a long way to the stadium (or take a shuttle bus).

Fortunately, there's now (finally!) a subway to York University campus. :D I haven't used it yet, but it should make things much more convenient. When I have time/energy, I go there by bike, but if it's too hot or whatever, I'll use the subway.

If you're primarily going for tennis and not too fussy about accommodations, you could try York University student accommodations. Dorms are available for non-student rentals until August 15.
Accommodation | Housing Services

·
10,272 Posts
Why don't you all meet up?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
First time there will be a subway all the way up there. Will make it a lot easier to get there. Wonder if it will be more crowded than usual as a result.
My own comments / suggestions:
1. Yah long walk from parking (and subway I think) ... but really not THAT long (20min?). Hey we only get to watch one tournament live every two years in this area (above futures); 20 min walk isn't that rough ;-)
2. Monday & Tuesday are best. Tonnes of top-50 even top-20 matchups and a bunch of them on smaller outer courts. THIS is where you want to be; great atmosphere. Ever sat in a seat where you can reach out and touch the returner who is trying to return an Isner or Karlovic serve? Or sat beside Pouille's team about 3 feet from the court? Have to lean back because it kind of looks like Fognini might actually hit you with his swing?
3. And this year: Djoker, Murray, Raonic ++ have to play round 1. Ok, those guys will all be in the stadium, but its going to make some of the outer court matchups even better.
4. Grandstand where the marqee matches are played fills up ... need to be early for the marqee matches ... need to be early and stay in your seat (and don't drink to much coffee etc. that forces you to have bio-breaks). And only place in shade is at the far end ... only a few seats. You have to be REALLY early for those.
5. Get a day pass and don't plan to leave the grounds. They don't kick you out after 5:00, and sometimes matches go REALLY late. Your day pass turns into a day-night pass.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
2. Monday & Tuesday are best. Tonnes of top-50 even top-20 matchups and a bunch of them on smaller outer courts. THIS is where you want to be; great atmosphere. Ever sat in a seat where you can reach out and touch the returner who is trying to return an Isner or Karlovic serve? Or sat beside Pouille's team about 3 feet from the court? Have to lean back because it kind of looks like Fognini might actually hit you with his swing?
Agreed, the plan is to go Monday and then take work off to go Tuesday right now. Although speaking of sitting beside teams, I actually sat right within Kokkinaki's team last year at the US Open loss to Tipsarevic, stumbling into seats courtside and not realizing it was them until he after hit a shot. I felt awkward (especially because he suffered a crushing loss that night), but they didn't ask me to leave so I didn't. :lol:

3. And this year: Djoker, Murray, Raonic ++ have to play round 1. Ok, those guys will all be in the stadium, but its going to make some of the outer court matchups even better.
Yes, that will be good but I've never had the opportunity to see Felix live before so that's the priority for those first two days.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Agreed, the plan is to go Monday and then take work off to go Tuesday right now. Although speaking of sitting beside teams, I actually sat right within Kokkinaki's team last year at the US Open loss to Tipsarevic, stumbling into seats courtside and not realizing it was them until he after hit a shot. I felt awkward (especially because he suffered a crushing loss that night), but they didn't ask me to leave so I didn't. :lol:

Yes, that will be good but I've never had the opportunity to see Felix live before so that's the priority for those first two days.
Same thing happened to me but with Benoit Paire's team a few years back! Sat at the left corner of Court 1, then I kept noticing how he was looking my way for some reason, and a few games later realized he was basically speaking to his team. In fact, he was actually with his ex gf at the time who kept saying "Allez bebe" at which point I def knew it was his team haha.

I even got a chance to speak to her for a bit throughout the match and she was super down to earth and was just an unexpectedly cool experience.

As for watching Felix...I'd love to watch him as well but I'm afraid they will put his R1 on the main court which I'd rather stay away from cuz my seats will be all the way up in the blue section at which point will be hard to see anything lol.

But anyway the field overall is very strong with many solid veterans playing as well as many young up & coming players which is awesome and then you got Stan who will be playing qualies to which you can watch for free! So cool & looking forward to it

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Considering it. Just moved to Ontario a month or so ago. Working Friday through Tuesday so the free qualifying weekend, and first round are not in the cards. Will probably see how the schedule is looking for Wednesday and Thursday as well as how I feel and decide then. Likely won't be there for the SF/F weekend barring a miracle run by a Canadian.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Considering it. Just moved to Ontario a month or so ago. Working Friday through Tuesday so the free qualifying weekend, and first round are not in the cards. Will probably see how the schedule is looking for Wednesday and Thursday as well as how I feel and decide then. Likely won't be there for the SF/F weekend barring a miracle run by a Canadian.
I'm there Wednesday day session. :wavey: And so is an old forum-mate from B.C. ;)

(If I have the energy, I might stay for night session, but without a night session ticket I can't enter the stadium... can only watch matches on the outside courts.)

Saturday I saw a not-bad match between Youzhny & this Canadian Galarneau - who I'd never even heard of before; saw Tomic disgrace himself as usual :lol: a bit of the Lopez/Travaglia match, plus practices by Nadal, Ferrer/Krajinovic and Schwartzman/RBA.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Going Thursday during the day and Sunday, could possibly do another day. Btw there is a possibility I may have an extra final ticket as my friend might be caught up with work.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Went to qualifying yesterday. Saw Gulbis/Harrison (Gulbis was not great, but Harrison was solid), Peliwo/Jaziri (Jaziri never seemed mentally into it and Peliwo played with a lot more intensity), Dancevic/Donskoy (Donkoy played well and just served/hit too big for Frank, wasn't much he could have done), Ymer/Sigouin (had never seen Sigouin before but was not impressed), and several games in a number of other matches including Tomic's latest tank, the conclusion of Nishioka/Copil (Copil ran completely out of gas understandably after last week) and Lopez/Travaglia (doesn't seem like Lopez has much left in the tank).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts