Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strong feeling Djokovic is going to stick around just as long as Federer and still be in a top 10 position by then.

He takes care of his body very well, does Yoga, stretches and keeps coming back.
He has had minimal injuries and doesn't seem to have any habitual injury, like Nadals knees or Del Potros wrist.

Anyone else think Djokovic might stick around as long as Federer? Possibly till late 30s?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm sorry but this is impossible. He may play but not on a top 10 level. Djokovic's movement is the basis of his game and by that time it would not be optimal. Just look at Ferrer. He does not have the weapons Fed has to make it. Most professional athletes take good care of their bodies and Djokovic doesn't do something different than all the rest, and if he does then it certainly isn't yoga or gluten free diet or any sacrifice that only Djokovic is doing.

·
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see why not.
I dont see why not either, but I'm sure many will forsee his decline through their magic crystal ball.

Some could argue that his playstyle will lead to his decline, but Djokovic is as smart as Federer and knows that he can turn into a baseline hugging warrior with more use of the slice and dropshots.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Too early to say, he will be only 32 this June.

The key factor will be the serve. If he can keep that up, he might stick around, if his serve will get back to 2010-11 or even 2017 level,
then he will hang up his racket come mid 30's.
Just have a look at Federer: if his serve would be like Nadal's level, he hadn't won Masters after 35.

Reactions: AskTheQuestion

·
Premium Member
8,292 Posts
I don't think Djokovic has the same level of motivation as Federer, so I don't see him still trying to reinvent his game to be a top player at 37. I think the moment he has his next slump, he is done.

·
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry but this is impossible. He may play but not on a top 10 level. Djokovic's movement is the basis of his game and by that time it would not be optimal. Just look at Ferrer. He does not have the weapons Fed has to make it. Most professional athletes take good care of their bodies and Djokovic doesn't do something different than all the rest, and if he does then it certainly isn't yoga or gluten free diet or any sacrifice that only Djokovic is doing.
Djokovic doesn't have the weapons?

Huh, dont know who I have been watching for the past ten years?
Djokovic has two times the weapons of Ferrer.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I can see him going as long ad Federer. But at the same time I can also seem him having a steep fall all of a sudden some years from now. The fact remains that he is and will always be a more physical player than Federer. And with physical players a fall from form can come hard and fast. But if he proves us wrong I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Nope. He never had the special talent Federer had which decouples his game from the physical state as much as possible. Even Nadal tried to reshape his game as he turned 30, not a point I saw on Djokovic. He's still sticking with his old tactic and the only reason he's still winning is that the 90s and 95s gen are rubbish on endurance. As long as his physicality deteriorates he will fall a steep downhill.

Reactions: Piratos and Cloren

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
-Djokovic stamina has declined which of course is to be expected and he is not as consistent as he was in his prime runs 2011-2016 that is a given and his fear factor has gone down on tour.

-Federer did not have his first surgery till 34.5 years old and it wasn't even related to tennis and djoker has had issues already a few years younger than fed. Fed also has nadal who i bet indirectly has kept him going longer to protect some records. Nadal and fed are going to retire much closer to each other and djoker will be left kinda solo without a rival. If fed wins another 1-2 slam and djoker does not add more then if the record is out of reach that might also lower his motivation.

-Djoker has had mental issues with motivation which are likely again to rise in the future. When fed and nadal were MIA with injuries, djoker struggled to find motivation. With no nadal and no fed in 2-3 years i can't blame him to lose some steam and desire as you don't see him get fired up to play anyone else like he does those two.

- His baseline game needs his movement which will only get worse every year from now on out.

-I see him keeping his general form till 35 with some further decline in movement/stamina/power occurring but I'm assuming no further injuries but that is a a big unknown.

There may also be a new breakout player in the next 1-2 years who is just a more physical specimen being in their 20-24 age range coupled with djoker declining and not being able to keep up or some current players improving physically/mentall like thiem, zverex, khachanov, kyrios, tsistipas, who have all beaten him.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree with posters who say that physical factory is key in his game, therefore father time will come fot him earlier than for Fed. As for motivation, he wants to surpass Federer in some record, he said that himself. I see it rather as negative motivation. He would hate to finish as second best player. And for Federer probably it is ok to finish with his 20 slams. He is just happy playing. You could tell that watching him play sunshine double, even loosing to Thiem. And Djoko hates to lose. He had always problems that someone is better than him. And that is also why he might be frustrated in latter stages of his career and maybe finish earlier.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Very unlikely, in my opinion. NextGen will take over in 2020, or 2021 at latest, and Djokovic will not stay for long after this happens.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Nope. He never had the special talent Federer had which decouples his game from the physical state as much as possible. Even Nadal tried to reshape his game as he turned 30, not a point I saw on Djokovic. He's still sticking with his old tactic and the only reason he's still winning is that the 90s and 95s gen are rubbish on endurance. As long as his physicality deteriorates he will fall a steep downhill.
exactly

·
Registered
615 Posts
Can't see it myself. Novak has fallen out of love with the game in the past, something I don't think Fed has ever done. Right now Fed plays because it's fun and also because he still thinks he can win slams, which he in theory can. He might even still play if he wasn't in with a decent chance of winning slams, just for a bit at least. I can't see the same for Novak though I could be wrong.

Also Fed's game is rather unique and I think that has helped him stay competitve to an old age. Critically, his serve is so much better than Novaks and he is much more geared to short points. Novak tends to grind you down, beat you into submission. That is not easy to do as you age. Granted he has enough talent to adapt a bit, but we are not talking about a small adaptation, it would need to be quite significant.So I can't see him winning slams at the age Fed has been and when he stops winning slams, I think he'll stop.

Question is, can he make it past 20 in that time? Personally I think he will come up short, as will Rafa.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
We don't know how many more top-10 seasons is there in Federer yet, I think he'll still be a top 10-15 as 40 y.o. at least, but if we are talking about 36-37 y.o. Djokovic winning GS title, I think it is possible even with a couple of slamless seasons beforehand, but there could be a lot of obstacles e.g. a new unbeatable prodigy, WWIII, the second coming of Christ or Krishna ...

Nadal could also be among RG contenders till 36-37 at least by playing the clay events only + slams.

·
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Even Djokovic a step slower ala Federer will still be good enough to play competitive tennis.

Djokovic has the same impeccable footwork of Federer. And I'm sure he can tighten up his game and hug the baseline even more. His control of the ball is top notch.
No reason to panic.

Edit: btw I dont feel the same way about Nadal, Monflis, Cilic, Del Potro, Nishikori, and many other over 30 players.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think Djokovic wants to beat all the records
He'll keep playing
And he might even get more love as an older warrior, more creative and daring, than as a dominant wall machine

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Even Djokovic a step slower ala Federer will still be good enough to play competitive tennis.

Djokovic has the same impeccable footwork of Federer. And I'm sure he can tighten up his game and hug the baseline even more. His control of the ball is top notch.
No reason to panic.

Edit: btw I dont feel the same way about Nadal, Monflis, Cilic, Del Potro, Nishikori, and many other over 30 players.
I don't think Djokovic's footwork is close to Federer's at all.
Just talking about footwork, Nadal has better footwork than Djokovic. His ability to dispatch short balls is largely because of impeccable footwork.
This, for example, would never happen with Fed:

Djokovic has much higher agility/flexibility.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts