Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.braingametennis.com/novak-djokovic-playing-a-different-sport/

There are experts, and then some, but this one makes his living from analyzing numbers in the fine game of tennis.
I have enjoyed numerous times his articles on the ATP site under the common title "Brain Game..."
Craig O'Shannessy, ladies and gentlemen!

And for the lazy:
"Summary Nobody is putting up numbers like this in today’s game.Nowhere to run to vs. Novak. Nowhere to hide. Novak’s nirvana is a state of misery for anyone standing on the other side of the net.
The Super Serb serves better, is so much tougher to be broken, returns like a man possessed, and is way above par from the back of the court, and the front.
That’s why he is number one in the world, and has been for quite some time now.
His version of tennis looks different from the rest. It must feel amazing for him to know that he is significantly better than his opponents in every area of the sport that is crucial to the bottom line – winning the biggest titles the game has to offer.
Novak often times doesn’t receive the credit he deserves. I hope these numbers help correct that. He currently sits alone at the pinnacle of our sport. Let’s rejoice the age of Novak."

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Yet, Novak is only 9-8 in grandslam finals. Sooo unbeatable and perfect. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Nothing surprising in these stats.
Obviously the winner of the tournament will be above the average in many areas.
I mean the "average" include many players like Groth, Pospisil, Janowicz, Troicki or Dimitrov.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yet, Novak is only 9-8 in grandslam finals. Sooo unbeatable and perfect. :rolleyes:
Thanks for this insightful input! :D
So Fed is 10-23 against Nadal, and yet many still say he is the GOAT.
I guess there is an article on Nadal too by Mr O'Shannessy, but I didn't bother to search. I'll leave that to you... :)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing surprising in these stats.
Obviously the winner of the tournament will be above the average in many areas.
I mean the "average" include many players like Groth, Pospisil, Janowicz, Troicki or Dimitrov.
Reverse logic. Can you be the winner of the tournament not having stats above the average?!

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Reverse logic. Can you be the winner of the tournament not having stats above the average?!
It's possible for players like Ivanisevic who was a poor returner overall.
I'd like to have the stats of Wawrinka when he won the FO. But about Djokovic it is no surprise since everyone knows he is a very complete player.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I read this already. Sorry, I just wish you didn't start this thread by 'stunned'. I'm not stunned at all.

Nole is playing great. However, let's behave :). I just don't like gloating ;).

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's possible for players like Ivanisevic who was a poor returner overall...
So he had one exceptional stat.
But that stat alone bring him only so far.
If a thing called "butterfly effect" didn't exist...

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Just confirms what most of us who understand tennis and who are not blind Fedalrards alreadu know. Novak is all time top 5 player who dominates tennis and will dominate for several more years.
Haters and Fedaltardsare are so much butthurt by this fact and are unable to appreciate Novaks greatness. Fortunatelly media and real tennis fans are smarter than that.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
I read this already. Sorry, I just wish you didn't start this thread by 'stunned'. I'm not stunned at all.

Would you please stop acting like a Novak's fan police here. If we want to gloat we will gloat. We deserve that after the way Fedaltads disrespected Novak for years.

Reactions: xelena

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Why compare him with the average stat, I would shoot for the average of the quarter finalists, or something. In the entire field there's bound to be a fair percentage of players who isn't a challenger in the first place.

Still impressive but meh, I'd have guessed as a world no 1 he's better at everything than the average joe.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I was only stunned, knowing MTF, that it took friday to tuesday to be brought to attention, and it took me, of all people, to bring it! :D
No gloating whatsoever, Alex my man! :D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why compare him with the average stat, I would shoot for the average of the quarter finalists, or something. In the entire field there's bound to be a fair percentage of players who isn't a challenger in the first place.

Still impressive but meh, I'd have guessed as a world no 1 he's better at everything than the average joe.
Well, you should direct your complaint to Mr. O'Shannessy... :)

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Djokovic is 46-2 on the year starting from the AO. He is so much better than the rest it's scary. Every match is his to lose. The only thing that can stop him are external factors and himself.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

There are experts, and then some, but this one makes his living from analyzing numbers in the fine game of tennis.
I have enjoyed numerous times his articles on the ATP site under the common title "Brain Game..."

And for the lazy:
"Summary Nobody is putting up numbers like this in today’s game.Nowhere to run to vs. Novak. Nowhere to hide. Novak’s nirvana is a state of misery for anyone standing on the other side of the net.
The Super Serb serves better, is so much tougher to be broken, returns like a man possessed, and is way above par from the back of the court, and the front.
That’s why he is number one in the world, and has been for quite some time now.
His version of tennis looks different from the rest. It must feel amazing for him to know that he is significantly better than his opponents in every area of the sport that is crucial to the bottom line – winning the biggest titles the game has to offer.
Novak often times doesn’t receive the credit he deserves. I hope these numbers help correct that. He currently sits alone at the pinnacle of our sport. Let’s rejoice the age of Novak."
With all due respect but that article is wrong.
You can't compare average stats. Its stupid and outright lie.

First of all, author does not have elementary knowledge about how percentage works.
Second , example , if one player excels in service returns of 70% and another is 55% , average net worth would be 62.5% basically nullifying players characteristics over Novak's 67% making him the best. Which is basically a confirmation bias.

Do I need to explain why confirmation bias is wrong?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
No One is perfect or idealistic thats why we are humans....amen

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With all due respect but that article is wrong.
You can't compare average stats. Its stupid and outright lie.

First of all, author does not have elementary knowledge about how percentage works.
Second , example , if one player excels in service returns of 70% and another is 55% , average net worth would be 62.5% basically nullifying players characteristics over Novak's 67% making him the best. Which is basically a confirmation bias.

Do I need to explain why confirmation bias is wrong?
I'm not sure that you understood his methodology.
Anyway, there's that bell shaped curve... Most are under the bell, and few are further away at the rim.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No One is perfect or idealistic thats why we are humans....amen
The man claims no such thing.
Simply shows how much Djokovic is above the bunch.
At the moment (if that will make you sleep at night).

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Winner of the tournament played better than the average player made by stats, color me surprised. Do you also think he has a higher ranking than the average of all ATP players or is too bold statement?

·
Registered
454 Posts

And for the lazy: <snip>"
This is probably the worst article I have ever read from Craig O'Shannessy. His articles on ATPWorldTour.com are excellent as they bring out hidden stats from games, something which regular stats dont catch. Here he didnt bring out any new insights, no new stat, just used the boilerplate regular serve-and-return stats which offer only a limited view. He also left a lot of stats that Wimbledon already provides for each match on its website (unforced errors, winners, drop shots, approach shots, volleys, lobs, ground strokes, etc etc etc) resulting in only a cursory incomplete analysis.

And secondly he is comparing with the averages of numbers of the rest 127 players -- assuming the other players are ranked from 2 to 127, the average stats would correspond to some one ranked #64. Really, he wants to compare #1 and #64, and say... "wow the stats are so better"! Why not compare with the Top 10 or quarterfinalists or something? So his excessive praise at the beginning of the article is meaningless.

Overall a dumb article, deliberately written to appeal to Novak fans (I am a fan, but uninterested in trash articles)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts