Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just logged into the site today and had forgotten Monte-Carlo was even on. It just seems a bit meh this year, noone has really noticed the transition from HC's to clay, it just sort of happened. There has been a lack of buzz, maybe because it looks as though Djokovic is so far ahead of everyone else and that's boring especially because it's Djokovic.

In previous years you had these dark horses that suddenly became great on clay and threatened to challenge Nadal, the likes of Isner,Gulbis and Soderling. You also had the spanish claycourter group with ferrer,almagro etc but those guys hardly exist today and no one has stepped up to replace them. Those players made the clay season slightly more interesting because it was different to the usual

it just has a very 2008 feel..

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
you 'just realized Monte Carlo was happening?

no offense but its hard to relate with you when its obvious you're not that big of a fan of the sport (I mean clay season always starts at the same time of the season)

I'm equally as excited as ever. you're logic as to why your not excited seems strange to me- Djokovic always does well prior to the clay season, if any season had uncertainty of what was going to happen on clay I'd say its this one

and its not as if Almagro or Gublis or even Soderling were regularly challenging at clay events back 5 years ago. you're aware that Soderling lost to Nadal like 6-0 6-1 on clay a few weeks prior to his infamous upset. I think you're just seeing the past different and for some reason already imagining what will happen this clay season when you have no idea. trust me prior to the 2009 clay season if you had had the attitude you have now then you would have just as well had not watched it, as it seemed like Nadal would sweep yet again throughout- yet of course one of the players you mention stepped up a bit that season

again HC and clay are night and day, can't judge the first few months of the year as some sort of crystal ball for the dirt season

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Nosetard, please

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
This belongs in your diary, not on MTF.

·
Banned
923 Posts
There's a clay season this year?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Both Wawrinka and Federer out of the tournament, so what's not to like? The two most overrated players on tour gone (both times against superiour players) I think my motivation just increased 100% for the clay season to be completely honest. :hearts:

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
Clay isn't fun to watch when Rafa is in shit form. It'll just be Djokovic beating up on mugs for the next month and a half. Bring on the grass.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I'm curious to see how Nadal does, apart from that :shrug:

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
In previous years you had these dark horses that suddenly became great on clay and threatened to challenge Nadal, the likes of Isner,Gulbis and Soderling. You also had the spanish claycourter group with ferrer,almagro etc but those guys hardly exist today and no one has stepped up to replace them. Those players made the clay season slightly more interesting because it was different to the usual
lolwut? The people you mentioned were NEVER considered as viable dark horses to beat Nadal on clay. It was always either Djokovic or Federer. Yes...on occasion, Nadal was pushed by others (Isner, Soderling, etc.). But it was completely out of the blue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts