Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, I'm still reeling in from the result of the final. Yeah, I know Djokovic won last year, I know Djokovic's no. 1, I know Djokovic is in his prime and Federer is 34 but...man, Federer was just playing insane tennis all the grass court season. No one looked close to Federer's level. To make it even more surprising, Federer's level peaked against Murray in the SF, displaying some of the most wicked grass tennis you'll ever see period (meanwhile Djokovic looked rather soft in his SF).

Jeez, just goes to show you can never be certain about anything in tennis. Big congratulations to Djokovic for managing to pull off what in my opinion is one of the biggest upsets in tennis history.

I don't know if Federer can ever win a slam again if he can play such amazing tennis the preceding days only to fall apart in the final..

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Nah, Fed played really well against Murray but it was mostly down to his serve. During the rallies he wasn't anything special, Murray just couldn't get into many rallies in Fed's service games.

At his age it was a major accomplishment getting to a final, he would have beat anyone else on the other side of the draw and if big Kev wasn't such a mug then he would have 18 right now. He won't win anymore at AO or RG but he still has a chance at the other two, Novak is far from invincible in the second half of the season although he would probably need someone else to take him out. Pretty amazing for his age tbh even if I am no fan of his.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Djokovic won the final because he played better than Federer in the final, we have to get over it and move on. Simple as that.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I'm stunned that Djokovic went the 'play badly and turn up in the final' route at a major instead of his usual capitulation in finals.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
I just figure that Djokovic was more motivated since he lost the RG final. I mean, just look at the last game: 2 return winners from Novak. He didn't have to win it there; he was already up a break.

He was committed to not losing another final.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Nothing to be stunned about. The better player won in the final. As expected. It was always on Novak's racquet, just like last year's final. Only deluded Fedalraytard thought Fed has chances to win vs superb Novak.

Should have been in straight sets in Novak didn't choke in the 2nd set.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I mean, I'm still reeling in from the result of the final. Yeah, I know Djokovic won last year, I know Djokovic's no. 1, I know Djokovic is in his prime and Federer is 34 but...man, Federer was just playing insane tennis all the grass court season. No one looked close to Federer's level. To make it even more surprising, Federer's level peaked against Murray in the SF, displaying some of the most wicked grass tennis you'll ever see period (meanwhile Djokovic looked rather soft in his SF).

Jeez, just goes to show you can never be certain about anything in tennis. Big congratulations to Djokovic for managing to pull off what in my opinion is one of the biggest upsets in tennis history.

I don't know if Federer can ever win a slam again if he can play such amazing tennis the preceding days only to fall apart in the final..
Federer has no stamina these days. That's why he is done winning slams. As soon as someone presses him he is worn out. Djokovic is very fit. He was always going to beat Federer. And should Federer make one last final next year and see Djokovic over the net. It will be Wimbledon number 4 for Djokovic.

A great serve alone is not getting past Novak. Becker has turned Novak into a great server to match his great returning talent. And that's why he is so formidable now.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Without wanting to sound like a tard. Federer served nowhere near as well as he did against Murray in the semi final and it probably should have been in a straight setter only for Djokovic losing a tie breaker he was in command of.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Stunned? Not really.

One of the biggest upsets in tennis history? When the #1 player in the world and defending champion wins? Not really.

The fact that the media and other Federer fans convinced themselves that the trophy was Roger's for the taking was what was stunning for me. To write Novak off in the way they did was... imprudent. :p

I re-watched the final last weekend. Very entertaining match. The first two sets were really high quality. As was to be expected.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Federer has no stamina these days. That's why he is done winning slams. As soon as someone presses him he is worn out. Djokovic is very fit. He was always going to beat Federer. And should Federer make one last final next year and see Djokovic over the net. It will be Wimbledon number 4 for Djokovic.

A great serve alone is not getting past Novak. Becker has turned Novak into a great server to match his great returning talent. And that's why he is so formidable now.
wow. You can write reasonable posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I'm stunned that Djokovic went the 'play badly and turn up in the final' route at a major instead of his usual capitulation in finals.
That happened last year too, Djokovic was dreadful against Dimitrov and nothing special against Cilic.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Precisely.

I was a bit dubtful when Becker was appointed...I am not any longer. :D

·
Administrator
6,164 Posts
No. Djokovic was much more solid than last year, and 2015 Federer is at best only a little better than 2014 overall.

He played an exceptional semifinal, and if he had repeated that performance he might have threatened Djokovic. But it was obvious his serving numbers that day were outliers, no matter how well you're playing you can never guarantee that many first serves and for them to be that effective. And even if he did... well, Murray himself could still have done a lot better if he hadn't crumbled under pressure at the end of each set, and Djokovic is the best player in the world so he would likely be able to raise his game at the end of a set at least once, and then it'd become a completely different kind of match.

That Federer's performance in the semifinal was so good made me slightly more worried Djokovic might lose to him, especially with him failing in tight moments against Federer in the recent past. But I still backed Djokovic to get the job done in 4, and he was easily the betting favourite. That most of MTF predicted Federer to win is just an example of how over-reactionary and Fedtard dominated it is.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That Federer's performance in the semifinal was so good made me slightly more worried Djokovic might lose to him, especially with him failing in tight moments against Federer in the recent past.
Recent past being Cincinati 2012 final? Novak won every Grand slam and Masters 1000 final, every WTF match against Federer since then. He lost in Dubai and in a couple of semis. Overall, Novak took 2 slams, 3 masters and 2 WTFs from Fed since then, while Federer only won in one final. If we combine that with other matches, then Novak gets and extra Masters and WTF, while Fed gets 1 more ATP500 (Dubai) and 1 Masters (Shanghai) - he lost in Monte Carlo final.

The final outcome is nothing weird. Novak has an edge over Federer since the end of 2012.

P.S. Novak did play well even before the final. :) It's just that you can't really notice his game since no one can push him further and he played semi-relaxed against everyone except Anderson.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
No the media hype was stupid Djokovic is in a different league than Andy Murray. Novak is the better player. Novak has had Roger number in the important finals. The result was no surprise it was expected.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
More like disappointed, sad, pissed off that Federer couldn't bring his SF form. That was the real final, and Federer certainly would have won if he brought anything close to that level to the final.

Of course Kevin Anderson choked as well. Yet another lucky, helping hand.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Nah,it was pretty expected Djokovic isn't Murray and Federer cannot do this twice in a row at this age(3-4 years back he might have done it), but Federer fans and british media went crazy- it seems that british media and WB crowd don't get it their way in the past two years :drink:; Federer twice in a row,Lisicki having a meltdown(that was 3 years ago), not to mention Bouchard(complete disrespect to Kvitova prior to the final by the media ,it was all about Ewwgenie,that win by Petra was delicious:hearts:).

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Djokovic was clear favourite regardless of what MTFers thought. I'd have been pleasantly surprised if Federer had won, but Djokovic's victory was expected.

Djokovic played really well and deserved the title.

·
Administrator
6,164 Posts
Recent past being Cincinati 2012 final? Novak won every Grand slam and Masters 1000 final, every WTF match against Federer since then.
I said in tight moments rather than tight matches quite deliberately - I am aware of their head to head. I am talking about things like losing a tiebreak due to 3 double faults (while being up a minibreak twice) in Indian Wells, losing the 4th set after serving for the match in last year's Wimbledon, missing many BP opportunities and not saving many in matches like Shanghai and Dubai. My thought was if Djokovic could turn a match like IW 2015 (which based on how much better he was playing could have been something like 6-2 6-3) into a 3 setter, then he could turn a razor tight match where Federer is actually playing close to his level into a loss.

But it didn't matter anyway - after a couple of close sets that could have gone either way, Djokovic was fairly comfortably ahead for the next two sets, and I think he is much more confident now compared to last year going for his first GS final win in a while.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.