Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still processing it after 9 years. Just amazing how Federer, the worst matchup against Nadal, with a one-handed backhand, managed to get take baby Pre-balding Nadal with his free-flowing, Pantene moisturized hair to 5 sets on clay. Even had multiple match points in a match that sadly had to end in a tiebreaker :banghead:

Quite a sad site when Federer slowly walked to the net in disappointment. Only 5 setter they had on clay, and it was the closest Federer had ever been in attaining a Rome title. Very tentative match points cost him, and some poor shots.

May Federer be free of these haunting memories one day.

Registered
I scoreboard watched this match. After it was over, I remember feeling that Federer would never beat him on clay unless Nadal was injured and/or tired.

Registered
He already thinks that he won Rome / in his head/ with this match. After this match he was in Final again in 2013 but obviously he has not forgotten it. This year he was again in Final of Rome but again did not fight for it. I am sure he does that on purpose already.

Registered
I scoreboard watched this match. After it was over, I remember feeling that Federer would never beat him on clay unless Nadal was injured and/or tired.

Fed could beat Rafa but Rafa was build up for clay esp against Federer to not allow him to win . So you have a great rivalry and everyone was wondering every single year when clay season comes around whether Federer would beat Nadal at FO. That was keeping fans interested . But obviously Federer was pissed off in 2008 and said fuck off to FO and played the worst final there but at Wimbledon played great final. Anyway he won it next year and they asked him to retire because he won FO already. He was just 28 years old and this matter about retirement has never stopped. Now no one ask Novak or Rafa to retire.

Registered
Yep. It was definitely a turning point in Federer's mindset against who would become his greatest rival. This match was on his racket and he blew it. It was a sign of more to come

Registered

He does not think of this match but maybe only for Wimbledon 2008. If you has heard his interview he almost openly said only Wimbledon is in his heart since junior and even before as kid. Wimbledon = Basel
He loves to play there. It is good for this GS that he has not made it as "monarchy" like Rafa did for FO,MC,Rome and Barcelona.

Registered
The most painful loss and arguably the most important of his career. Fed deserved to win this,he made all the plays. Ugh disgusting and haunting.

Registered
Fed could beat Rafa but Rafa was build up for clay esp against Federer to not allow him to win . So you have a great rivalry and everyone was wondering every single year when clay season comes around whether Federer would beat Nadal at FO. That was keeping fans interested . But obviously Federer was pissed off in 2008 and said fuck off to FO and played the worst final there but at Wimbledon played great final. Anyway he won it next year and they asked him to retire because he won FO already. He was just 28 years old and this matter about retirement has never stopped. Now no one ask Novak or Rafa to retire.
He does not think of this match but maybe only for Wimbledon 2008. If you has heard his interview he almost openly said only Wimbledon is in his heart since junior and even before as kid. Wimbledon = Basel
He loves to play there. It is good for this GS that he has not made it as "monarchy" like Rafa did for FO,MC,Rome and Barcelona.

Registered
I'm still processing it after 9 years. Just amazing how Federer, the worst matchup against Nadal, with a one-handed backhand, managed to get take baby Pre-balding Nadal with his free-flowing, Pantene moisturized hair to 5 sets on clay. Even had multiple match points in a match that sadly had to end in a tiebreaker :banghead:
Prime Kuerten, would have been blasting one-handed backhands down the line against this young version of Nadal.

The best clay match of this era until 2013 was not this one, it was the final the year before.

Registered
Prime Kuerten, would have been blasting one-handed backhands down the line against this young version of Nadal.

The best clay match of this era until 2013 was not this one, it was the final the year before.

It is really silly from you to say that. Federer/Nadal Final was way more better because Federer is more complete player and has a lot of variety in his game. Fed has MP' and with three sets with TB'. Plus Fed was #1 and Nadal was builded exactly for Federer. If it was not Nadal Federer could have three CYGS. Maybe if Fed was an American or Aussie he could have it. Federer was a great clay player and he still can play on clay but motivation is not the same. The same Nadal was beaten by Djokovic in 2011 but it was Federer who stopped Djokovic at FO at almost 30. But Nadal has never been so motivated against Djokovic as he is against Federer.

Registered

Quite a sad site when Federer slowly walked to the net in disappointment. Only 5 setter they had on clay, and it was the closest Federer had ever been in attaining a Rome title. Very tentative match points cost him, and some poor shots.

May Federer be free of these haunting memories one day.

You can never be free when the greatest claycourter that ever lived gives you a lesson. The FO final 2008 being the crowning glory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.