Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still trying to process the result two months later. Wawrinka had beaten Djokovic before and won a slam beating the #1 and #2 seeds last year and in his prime, but come on Djokovic's was no. 1, at his peak and playing insane tennis all the clay court season. No one looked close to Nole's level. To make it even more surprising, Nole crushed Nadal and then beat Murphy who was playing the best clay court tennis of his life, meanwhile Wawrinka looked poor in his SF allowing Jo-Willy a million break points but saving all but one. Jo willy was the better player for a lot of the match.

I guess this gives underdog hope and nothing guaranteed in tennis. Huge thumbs up to Wawrinka for managing to pull undoubtedly one of the biggest upsets in tennis history. And not only did he won, it was the way he won that most the most shocking. Nole admittedly did not play at his A or A+ game but he still played at a very solid B or B+ game that would almost certainly would have beaten Murphy and 100% guaranteed level to beat Nadal. It would have been good enough 99% of the time against Stanimal but literally Stanimal played the match of his life and there was nothing Nole could do, he was simply blown off the court. The stanimal was just in an unreal zone at an unreal level of tennis.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Not really. When all-out attacking tennis is played at that level, there is nothing someone like Djokovic (who is not a natural attacking player) can do. Only peak Nadal could have beaten that Wawrinka, if he can get into his head and make him hit errors. If Djokovic has one weakness, it's that. When a pure attacking player plays out of their mind, the outcome is not on the Serbian's racquet, and there are numerous examples since 2011, when Djokovic became the player he is today.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It was a surprise, I was expecting 3-1 to Nole, but Stan seems to play well against him in Slam conditions. As said above, attacking players always carry that threat - they can simply take the match out of your hands (Fed v Hewitt US 2004 being a prime example)

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Yes, still amazed about the awesome level of tennis Wawrinka produced in that match. Simply beautiful.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Yes I am sure Stan played well BUT Novak blew it! Novak was too passive even his coach Boris Becker said so in an interview. Novak was hoping Stan would choke or get tight it did not happen! Novak underestimatwd Stan he paid the price with the loss. Stan has nothing to lose he was the underdog and Novak choked under the pressure.

·
Registered
355 Posts
A bit stunned yes, but Stan played outstanding tennis.

Novak was powered out from beating Rafa and that silly 5setter against Andy if it would've been SF or QF he would most likely beat Stan but this way he had no chance considering the circumstances.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not really. When all-out attacking tennis is played at that level, there is nothing someone like Djokovic (who is not a natural attacking player) can do. Only peak Nadal could have beaten that Wawrinka, if he can get into his head and make him hit errors. If Djokovic has one weakness, it's that. When a pure attacking player plays out of their mind, the outcome is not on the Serbian's racquet, and there are numerous examples since 2011, when Djokovic became the player he is today.
That would also get Nadal`s ass kicked,too. Nothing that anybody can do if attacking player play lights out. Point is, it is very rare bcs it is extremly hard to do, errors margin are very small for that kind of play. Djokovic lost for being too passive, plus not 100% fresh. It is natural...when a player is not 100% fresh, he tends to play a little passive

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Naaah .. Completely forgot about it after No1e claimed Wimbledon

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nope
N0le will never win RG, it was written in the stars that he would lose.
Must be also written in the stars that Fed will never claim 8th. :devil:

Silly little noobs, if Novak had won FO he would have been drained of motivation due to fulfilling a strong desire (basic psychology), not as hungry and focused and Fed would have a far better chance to claim 8th. Alas, it will remain but a dream, the 8-18. :smash:

If I were a Fed fan I'd cheer for Novak during FO. :angel:

·
Registered
7,028 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Easy; Djokovic choked.
Not sure which match you have watched. It's crazy to take away the credit from Stan. The man has one of the highest peak level in the history of the game. He just can't play at that level consistently, plus he was a late bloomer in terms of reaching that highest level (he was good before, just not great, still top 10 at 23).

·
23,933 Posts
I'm actually not surprised in the sense knowing how his abilities could do it, but actually convincingly? I actually screamed "COME ON!" in quite a hoarse voice when Stan converted the last BP because it was getting real -- he was serving for his 2nd Grand Slam championship. It was a nice achievement after the lows of Stan supporters have watching him lose in usually the 2nd matches of Masters only to find momentum again in Rome -- I just knew the moment he won the match against Thiem on the R16 I felt that there is a sort of relief that Stan has. Stan really has one of the most intriguing stories of late and seeing his up and downs is quite fascinating to watch.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.