1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tilden injured:eek:
Brian Norton playing inspired vintage tennis:eek:
Opponent takes first two sets and also has 2 match points in the fifth:eek:
Tilden manages to defeat all that and quasi-goating opponent to retain hs wimbledon crown:worship:
Final score: 4-6, 2-6, 6-1, 6-0, 7-5:worship:

Truly a moment for the ages and the greatest Wimbledon final of all time.

What say you?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I still remember this final as if it was yesterday. Amazing match, amazing result and amazing champion.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I still remember this final as if it was yesterday. Amazing match, amazing result and amazing champion.
this stunned series is getting out of hand. 1921 I tell you. Lmao!!!!!

·
Registered
17,967 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Yep, very amazing to beat the guy (in the fifth set) who has played 5-setters in SF and QF and also played five matches before that, while you were eating steaks and maybe training ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_Wimbledon_Championships_–_Men's_Singles

That was the last year the reigning champion would play just one match, getting a direct acceptance into the finals.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Still remember watching that match and thinking 'Hmmm... Tilden has a one-handed backhand. Guess Nadal would destroy him completely!'

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Was it in your previous life? :rolleyes:
Yes. Disgusting cheating from Tilden by the way, faking an injury and all that stuff about medical timeout, just to distract the opponent. It´s amazing he wasn´t fined and baned for that circus he pulled out. Great quality though.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, may I add that the accomplishment was even greater considering that Norton had played a few matches previous to the final and had some good practice going into the final, while Tilden was playing his first match of the tournament in the final.

Truly inspiring:worship:

·
Registered
893 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
i was so stunned that they had to freeze me until a sophisticated unstunn method was discovered by the modern medicine ....

Thank god I was unfreezed before No1e turned pro :cool:

Reactions: Ja znam sebe...

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
weak era, it must be said

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yep, very amazing to beat the guy (in the fifth set) who has played 5-setters in SF and QF and also played five matches before that, while you were eating steaks and maybe training ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_Wimbledon_Championships_–_Men's_Singles

That was the last year the reigning champion would play just one match, getting a direct acceptance into the finals.
Wait a minute! Did he play only one match to win the championship while his opponent had to go through 7 best-of-five matches just to make the final!!?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The travelling must've been crazy at the time. Like, how did you get from Japan to London (Shimizu)? By ship, right? Even today it takes weeks to make that trip via ship.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Damn Time flies..It feels like yesterday I was watching the match on my HD LED TV...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.