Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now yes i know Spencer Gore was the favorite, but leading up to the final William Marshall played some amazing tennis..

Marshall gave a breadstick in the decider at Quarterfinals, had a bye in the semis..comming in well rested for the finals.
-And then getting straight setted by Gore:confused:.. 6-1,6-2,6-4.. im still stunned after all these years.. surerly he could have taken atleast one set?

Discuss, and Goretards please keep it civil.

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
William Marshal's grandson of son could tell something about that final surely.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. Gore was lucky to play a exhausted Marshall, who had walked all the way to Wimbledon (12 miles) as his model T car had been damaged by some suffragetes on the day of the Final. Gore was known as a big supporter of the suffragette movement and the conspiracy theroies that they damaged Marshall's car delibritly have been around since the day of the Final.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. Gore was lucky to play a exhausted Marshall, who had walked all the way to Wimbledon (12 miles) as his model T car had been damaged by some suffragetes on the day of the Final. Gore was known as a big supporter of the suffragette movement and the conspiracy theroies that they damaged Marshall's car delibritly have been around since the day of the Final.
In those days bad people often got away with those kinds of backstabbing acts.. to much was on line sponsors tv rights, he was a superstar that Gore.. whilst Marshall was a true gritty talent.. he never recovered from that match.. he´s first and only slam final

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I think we are ready to go onto Paul Morphy's domination in 1857. That was some chess player.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Clever, except they didn't have model T cars in 1877. You have to wait until the 20th century for that. He quite possibly may have missed the train, though, or had his horse and buggy overturn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.