Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that it's an effective shot. But there is only enough times you can do the same shot without making the audience want to pull their eyes out. How about some variety? Surely there must be other choice of shot he can do, no?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
Appalling decisions the drop shots in general

when you lose more points than you win on a particular shot/strategy why keep trying?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think Wawrinka solved it. It's a good shot but Wawa's strategy was to hit it deep in either direction, precipitating a lob and a subsequent smash winner.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I was more infuriated with his lobs attempt, he is no Nalbandian after all and for someone credited with such a great BH he should be hitting passing shots with it.

Another below par performance from Mr Djokovic in a slam final.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I understand that it's an effective shot. But there is only enough times you can do the same shot without making the audience want to pull their eyes out. How about some variety? Surely there must be other choice of shot he can do, no?
He's an aggressive shot maker only when he is playing Berdych in Monte Carlo Final or when he is playing some 60th rank player in the first rounds of a GS. We have seen time and again that when his back is to the wall he goes into pure pusher mode especially against a good player.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
They worked great for him for about a set and a half. He abused it consistently, Stan would stretch for it, consistently attempted (unsuccessfully) the same cross-court angle. The difference was that Stan started to read it much better, get there a little earlier, and even catch the ball above the net sometimes. Djokovic's execution was mostly consistent, but it was overplayed.

But how can you blame him? He clearly wasn't going to out-hit Stan from the baseline, yet the longer he waited to draw the error, the more chances he gave Stan to punish him.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was more infuriated with his lobs attempt, he is no Nalbandian after all and for someone credited with such a great BH he should be hitting passing shots with it.

Another below par performance from Mr Djokovic in a slam final.
I noticed this in the Dubai final this year as well. It seems Novak is trying to hit more lobs against Federer to keep him further away from the net eventhough his backhand passing shots were perfect in the wimby 14 final. He did the same thing today as well against stan :s

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
He overdid it after Wawrinka completely took him out of his comfort zone, which made him start to panic.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
It felt like Djokovic lost about 2 games worth of points with abysmal dropshot - lob attempts.

His serve was MIA for large periods of the match too, truly a dismal performance from Djokovic tbh.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
He got stubborn. Instead of change strategy he kept doing stupid things, one of the reasons he lost or at least didn't go to 5th set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts