Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I went round a friends house who I hadn't seen for a while. His lodger was there too and we talked for an hour or two. I found myself struggling with the conversation, which then led to anxiety, which made it worse! This has happened to me before but not for a while. Anyone else get that? Where you're in a group of people and not talking much or at all?

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
"Lodger" is so British. I love it :lol:

I don't get anxiety when I'm around a lot of people. I've never gotten nervous with any sort of spotlight on me or in groups, but I am a naturally quiet person. A lot of people mistake that for being shy, but it takes me a while to warm up to a situation/person. Unless it's a hot man, of course.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Lodger" is so British. I love it :lol:

I don't get anxiety when I'm around a lot of people. I've never gotten nervous with any sort of spotlight on me or in groups, but I am a naturally quiet person. A lot of people mistake that for being shy, but it takes me a while to warm up to a situation/person. Unless it's a hot man, of course.
:lol: :p

I think that's actually what I'm worried about - that people will think that I am shy. I don't see that as a good trait to have. I'll just pay for some therapy lol

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Ray :hug:

Happens a lot to me too as I'm really shy, maybe it's a trust issue though as once I get to know people well I feel okay to talk to them more. :scratch:

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray :hug:

Happens a lot to me too as I'm really shy, maybe it's a trust issue though as once I get to know people well I feel okay to talk to them more. :scratch:
Yeah that could be partly it too! I feel like sometimes I have to moderate everything in my mind before I say it, incase I say the wrong thing! By the time it gets to saying it the moment has passed :lol: I feel envious of people who find it easy to talk to anyone though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, as the old saying goes, it is better to be silent and thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it. I tend to not say much until I know someone pretty well. You learn more by listening.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as the old saying goes, it is better to be silent and thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it. I tend to not say much until I know someone pretty well. You learn more by listening.
Awww I like that saying :) I will remember it next time my anxiety is on the increase :lol: :)

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Lol when I first meet people I'm extremely quiet and shy, but after like 30 mins, when we've both opened up, they have to beg me to shut my mouth :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Happens every time I'm with a group of women.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
You people are weird. I prefer not to talk to people. When in a group I'll just go along with my own thoughts - or, when drinking, dancing on the table.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
No, that doesn't happen a lot to me. Of course I've experienced awkward silences a few times but rarely or never have I been the cause for them. I'm a talkative guy in most situations.

·
Your visions will happen
49,960 Posts
It is easy. All you have to do is open your mouth and make use of your vocal cords :p

Seriously though, it's gotta be nerves. Nerves are good, if you use them to your advantage. Don't get choked up by the nerves. Feel the nerves, embrace the nerves, use it as a high. That's what athletes do :shrug:

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
It's normal for most men especially in groups of women. It's like approach anxiety which EVERY man has. Why? Because it's not part of your comfort zone. The only solution to get rid of these anxieties is to have the courage and practice these things over and over again. You have to do exactly what you are afraid of. You'll never get rid of your anxieties but you can reduce them. You need to extend your comfort zones.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
better not to talk than to talk in sloppy cliches filled with meaningless verbal litter

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
If I'm with one friend, I'm good. Once the group gets larger, I find myself listening more than talking. Often times I feel like I can't relate to what they're saying and don't feel comfortable trying to respond. If it's a party.. I'm fucked :sad: I don't even go. I get all anxious and nervous and it's just bad.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,845 Posts
better not to talk than to talk in sloppy cliches filled with meaningless verbal litter
:rolls: OMG I want you to publish a book of the many wonderful Getta sayings. LIke Confucius.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts