Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tuned in for the third set of the Monfils match, and I noticed Fed serve and volleying on at least half of the points it seemed. Against Tsonga, when he couldn't win a point from the ground, it seemed his saving grace was the serve and volley. Tonight he used the serve and volley effectively as well as just getting to the net in general. (Save for a bad patch in the second set)

Tricky half volleys, lunges stabs while closing hard, slice approaches, and simple serve and volleying...haven't seen this stuff at the top of the game since Sampras, it seems. I've enjoyed it.

The one play I wish he would employ more would be to come over the backhand return on second serve and get in.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
vs Murray it smelled like a cesspool

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...he chunked a few volleys but also volleyed quite well at times. I'm not saying that the overall quality of the match was that great (like Sampras) but I don't think we've had a #1 player serve and volley semi-regularly since then.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
While it's true it's been helpful to him overall by pure doggedness, there has been some terrible net plays from Federer lately. The non-chalant lazy netted drop volleys bc of a too uppright position have been there for years already but he's also been butchering some easy high volleys miles long. Of course it doesn't matter that much in this weak era but still...

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
He had some shockers tonight but mostly they have been very very good. Edberg's influence can clearly be seen all this season as he attacks the net more, saving his body as he ages, and having an alternate plan to go to when his ground game falls apart like vs. Tsonga last week.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Yes, he actually plays with talent, skill, and variety. It is great to watch.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I tuned in for the third set of the Monfils match, and I noticed Fed serve and volleying on at least half of the points it seemed.

Thoughts?
I think those deeming tonight's netplay as horrid are really missing the point. Edberg has been trying to instill the volleyers instinct back into Fed, and it is clearly working. For sure he missed a few easy ones, and messed up a couple of approaches, but look beyond that and it was great stuff - a real transition happening in his game.

Federer is definitely developing a feel for the approach now. He was in like lighting, and bar two stuffed approaches, he was always in the right place at the right time. And not just on soft points in the rallies - he was making and winning points by force. Also, his containing volleys were placed right in the corners, and his reflexes cat like. He also had a couple of cracking s&v's on wide serves.

So yeah, I finally feel things are beginning to happen for Fed with this forced style of play. It is not easy, but he and Edberg seem to be working it out. Nice to see the art creeping back.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Not really. Federer is a competent but not great volleyer, so a lot of the time it just comes off as desperate net rushing.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
I find Fraud to be an overrated volleyer to be honest :shrug:

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
much better for eyes than for example moonballing.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I tuned in for the third set of the Monfils match, and I noticed Fed serve and volleying on at least half of the points it seemed. Against Tsonga, when he couldn't win a point from the ground, it seemed his saving grace was the serve and volley. Tonight he used the serve and volley effectively as well as just getting to the net in general. (Save for a bad patch in the second set)

Tricky half volleys, lunges stabs while closing hard, slice approaches, and simple serve and volleying...haven't seen this stuff at the top of the game since Sampras, it seems. I've enjoyed it.

The one play I wish he would employ more would be to come over the backhand return on second serve and get in.

Thoughts?
Fresh air guaranteed if the servebot retires.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
He's definitely approaching the net more aggressively than he once did. He's ducked some bad volleys but he has had his share of great ones too the last week or so.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Yes. It's always nice to see an all-court attacking tennis. Done effectively by a top player, too. I wish younger players would play like that.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I think those deeming tonight's netplay as horrid are really missing the point. Edberg has been trying to instill the volleyers instinct back into Fed, and it is clearly working. For sure he missed a few easy ones, and messed up a couple of approaches, but look beyond that and it was great stuff - a real transition happening in his game.

Federer is definitely developing a feel for the approach now. He was in like lighting, and bar two stuffed approaches, he was always in the right place at the right time. And not just on soft points in the rallies - he was making and winning points by force. Also, his containing volleys were placed right in the corners, and his reflexes cat like. He also had a couple of cracking s&v's on wide serves.

So yeah, I finally feel things are beginning to happen for Fed with this forced style of play. It is not easy, but he and Edberg seem to be working it out. Nice to see the art creeping back.
very mature perspective. A shift from a baseline- to a volleybased game is very hard. His baselinegame is really suffering, but he is still winning alot of matches. If he can find a little bit more consistency in his groundstrokes, this new tactic could be very effective, mostly because he is about the only one employing it. His serve is still extremely dangerous.

on topic, yes I wish more players would rush the net, I like the variety.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts

No one is denying that. The approaches were quite good and the attitude as I said was also good.

He did miss 4 or 5 easy volleys and some of them miserably.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts