Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibly win Wimbledon, or the US Open, or both?

I confess being very skeptical when I first watched him play, but he is making very obvious progress lately, and could be an absolute nightmare to play against when he matures and finally peaks. Have no particular feeling about him (yet) but it could be fun to watch the young guns against him in the next 5-10 years.

Any constructive opinion welcome.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Let's hope not. He doesn't even move like Isner and technically his game isn't even close to both Isner and Karlovic. I know he's young, but I don't think his game can mature that much for him to not rely on his serve all the time.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
Possibly win Wimbledon, or the US Open, or both?

I confess being very skeptical when I first watched him play, but he is making very obvious progress lately, and could be an absolute nightmare to play against when he matures and finally peaks. Have no particular feeling about him (yet) but it could be fun to watch the young guns against him in the next 5-10 years.

Any constructive opinion welcome.
If Isner couldn't, what makes you think Opelka would one day?

·
justice for all
13,123 Posts
Would be a disaster. But I doubt it. Too one dimensional and too many deficiencies in the movement department, he seems to be like an even worse mover than Isner.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Reaching Top 5 means a little if you can't be in the Top 5 on a consistent basis for a long/continued periods of time. In my opinion, winning multiple (3 or 4) grand slams is a better measure/standard of player's potential than just reaching Top 5 or Top 3 ranking.

Players like Raonic, Dimitrov, Zverev, del Potro, Cilic (don't get me wrong, they're all great players) reached Top 3 without being there for a sustained period of time. On the other hand you remember the Big 4 (Federer, Rafa, Djokovic, and Murray) because they have been the Top 4 ranked players for a long period of time, and to an extent Wawrinka too due to him being 3 time grand slam winner.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Let's hope not. He doesn't even move like Isner and technically his game isn't even close to both Isner and Karlovic. I know he's young, but I don't think his game can mature that much for him to not rely on his serve all the time.
Technically Karlovic ain't much better. He's got better volleys, but that's about it. Opelka can actually stay longer in rallies.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Big thing about him is that he’s seemingly very clutch. I don’t know the stats but he seems to win a lot of his tie breaks.

Isner didn’t seem particularly clutch, although not too bad, if he was more clutch could have won a bit more.

Also preventing him at slams will be the amount of long matches he’ll end up playing. Will always drop sets on tie breaks or by being broken once, will catch up with him later on at the slams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
No and why should a 7 foot servebot do what no other 7 foot servebot has never even come close to doing before?

All servebots must vanish! Or stay out of the top ten

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
As much as I dislike servebots, I think it's healthy competition to have one or two around. I don't think his movement or ground game is as good as Isner, but as someone mentioned previously, his competition will be easier than Isner faced. If he continues to develop, I wouldn't see top 10 being out of his reach, top 5 might be a bit of a different story.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
He's got plenty of power in the groundstrokes, although when he's off his game he's useless.

The big problem is his return game, it's absolutely useless. If that can't be fixed he's going to plateau.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
His consistency from the ground will have to improve to go all the way at a Slam. But I definitely think he and Taylor will be major forces one day, proving you can still win with primarily offensive tennis and clear defensive liabilities.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts