Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go VEGAN!!!!!!

Just wondering if there are any other vegans on MTF.

And for those of you who are wondering what the hell a vegan is, it is someone who doesn't consume anything that contains an animal product, including dairy, eggs, silk, fur, etc. And no, we don't JUST eat vegetables.

I eat honey, and I know a lot of vegans who do, but a lot of vegans don't. More power too them. I'm just not that hardcore.

Anyway, fellow vegans, are you out there?

Reactions: Kitty de Sade

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From Miriam-Webster

consume

1: to do away with completely : destroy <fire consumed several buildings>

2 a: to spend wastefully : squander
b: use up <writing consumed much of his time>

3 a: to eat or drink especially in great quantity <consumed several bags of pretzels>
b: to enjoy avidly : devour <mysteries, which she consumes for fun — E. R. Lipson>

4: to engage fully : engross <consumed with curiosity>

5: to utilize as a customer <consume goods and services>

intransitive verb

1: to waste or burn away

2: to utilize economic goods

Wow. You were almost witty.

·
RAVE ON
19,881 Posts
I don't expect vegans to have a sense of humour. I was 100% sure you would point out that ''consume'' means more than just eat.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A friend of mine invited me to join her on her annual week at a "vegan spa" (talk about an oxymoron) in Florida. I declined, because I was sure that after 2 or 3 days on a vegan diet, I would become desperate and order in a large pepperoni pizza from Domino's and get myself thrown out on my ear. :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't expect vegans to have a sense of humour. I was 100% sure you would point out that ''consume'' means more than just eat.
Actually I have quite a sense of humor. Ask anyone who knows me. On Thanksgiving I was running around screaming "Save a tofu. Eat turkey."

I just don't find you funny.

·
Registered
518 Posts
hello there :wavey:

I am on my way to be a vegan!!!:) I feel really good and happy after trying not to eat any meat for a few months.I hope I will become a vegan in a year.How long have you been a vegan?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm not a vegan, but a vegetarian. I respect all vegans, but I just don't think I could give up my daily dose of milk :p Altho I try to avoid using eggs [or use organic if I have to] as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About 6 months. I've been vegetarian for about a year. Going vegan is tough and I definitely recommend easing into it. But the biggest piece of advice I have is: LEARN HOW TO COOK! I cook almost everything I eat now. And I am always bringing food with me because there are rarely vegan options around. :p It was a bit of an easier transition for me than most people because many of my friends, including my 2 best friends and my boyfriend are vegan. But yeah, definitely learn how to cook.

Oh, and just so you know, most Oreos are vegan. ;) There is life after going vegan. :lol:

·
RAVE ON
19,881 Posts
OK, no jokes. Seriously. What is the purpose of being a vegan? That never seems to be explained, except that people seem to think it an accomplishment to go to the extreme limit just for the sake of doing it, but I wonder what reason there is other than this.
I eat well, no junk food, very little red meat, but to stop eating fish and dairy seems like a backward step to me. These are nutritious and healthy foods, so why avoid them?

·
Registered
518 Posts
OK, no jokes. Seriously. What is the purpose of being a vegan? That never seems to be explained, except that people seem to think it an accomplishment to go to the extreme limit just for the sake of doing it, but I wonder what reason there is other than this.
I eat well, no junk food, very little red meat, but to stop eating fish and dairy seems like a backward step to me. These are nutritious and healthy foods, so why avoid them?
Every body is unique.You just have to know what works for you best.There are a lot of books about vegetarian and vegan.Maybe you can check them out.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Vegans are the strangest subgroup of people in the world, almost sub human :tape: There is no way to understand such odd people :sad: because there is no valid reason to be a vegan.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Vegans are the strangest subgroup of people in the world, almost sub human :tape: There is no way to understand such odd people :sad: because there is no valid reason to be a vegan.
What nonsense, I find it stranger to be a rational, decent person but gladly eat meat, however it applies to almost everyone I know and like.

People who eat animals because society doesn't condemn it as wrong are stranger than vegans. I'm sure if it was thought of by law and society as being as bad as theft then far fewer people would practice it, but people are perfectly happy to go along with what they are told, that eating meat (which encourages animals being killed for food) is not an immoral act. In fact, it is far worse than theft.

What's more, some people are concerned about the way the animals live before being slaughtered. While this can clearly be disgusting, I do not understand how meat eaters can be annoyed by such conditions. What? Is it ok to kill animals, but wrong to keep them in uncomfortable enviroments? :confused:

However, I would say that I do not understand the vegan fully either. Why not drink milk or eat eggs? Eating a thing, which has been killed for food, and is not a necessity for your diet, seems to me fundamentally wrong, but drinking milk? :shrug: I don't get it.

If you hadn't worked it out, i'm just a vegitarian but over the last few years have become a lot more interested in animal rights generally :p

·
RAVE ON
19,881 Posts
People who eat animals because society doesn't condemn it as wrong are stranger than vegans.

If you hadn't worked it out, i'm just a vegitarian but over the last few years have become a lot more interested in animal rights generally :p
**** sapiens is naturally an omnivore. That is how he evolved.

And animals don't have rights. When a law is passed forbidding cruelty to animals, that is a decision of **** sapiens. If animals had rights they would claim the right to eat us all up.

·
RAVE ON
19,881 Posts
Every body is unique.You just have to know what works for you best.There are a lot of books about vegetarian and vegan.Maybe you can check them out.
That seems condradictory to me. First you tell me that I should go with what I think is best for me. Then you tell me to read what others think may be best for me.

When I was in Madrid recently there was a bunch of people picketing outside a McDonalds with big fotos of dead animals. When I asked them if they were against eating meat or maybe just against McDonalds because it is American, they said they were against killing animals for food by anybody. I pointed out that in central Madrid there is a famous chain of shops (El Museo de Jamon) that sells only expensive hams and there is one on just about every block. I asked how many times they have picketed this beloved all-Spanish food chain that slaughters pigs by the millions - and they had no answer. Hypocrites. I think they picket McDonalds because they feel morally superior to the low income people that eat there. They know that if they picketed El Museo de Jamon, normal Madrilenos would laugh at and then ignore them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am almost a vegan - I have milk but don't use other animal products.

Vegans and vegetarians are awesome. :yeah: Great thread.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Vegan food makes you feel great.

Of course, I've never eaten it exclusively for more than a day or two at a time. :lol:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts