·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well? :confused:

·
10,285 Posts
I'm a Semi-Buff.

Always been fascinated by Medieval Military History. Specifically 1000-1600's. Swords, Bows, Castles, etc.

Favorite battle is definitely Battle of Agincourt. British defeat thousands of French Nobles by using a bit of mud and using the longbow.

Or the battle of Stirling, where William Wallace and Scots, trapped the British and Welsh on a bridge and wiped out some of their strongest cavalry.

Do you have a time period of interest for War? Always love chatting about military history

·
Tomic the Tank engine.
1,699 Posts
Yeah.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I owned a gun once, miss a bunny the one time I fired it

does that count

?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Pretty good on political and economic history of the last couple of centuries but I must admit I'm somewhat less interested in the details of military conflict itself.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a Semi-Buff.

Always been fascinated by Medieval Military History. Specifically 1000-1600's. Swords, Bows, Castles, etc.

Favorite battle is definitely Battle of Agincourt. British defeat thousands of French Nobles by using a bit of mud and using the longbow.

Or the battle of Stirling, where William Wallace and Scots, trapped the British and Welsh on a bridge and wiped out some of their strongest cavalry.

Do you have a time period of interest for War? Always love chatting about military history
Mostly into the American Civil War (Southern War of Independence ;)) and Napoleonics, plus WW2. Also like ancient Rome/Greece as well. I used to be more into Middle Age warfare but haven't gotten much into it lately. I'd like to, but just too busy.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
10,285 Posts
Did you know that Robert E. Lee almost ended up on the North's side?

While I don't care much about the Confederates and their ideals... I have to admit Robert E. Lee is arguably Top 10 when it comes to American generals. Guy was a pretty big badass and if he had the resources of the North than he could have won the war pretty easily, imo.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
You owned a gun and only fired it once?
it was a shit gun

I borrowed a friends when we went hunting boar

this was in NZ though, good times, shot a boar but was a bad hit, took a few to take out the beast :cool:

As for Military history, yeah I love it as my book shelf at home would attest

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Mostly into the American Civil War (Southern War of Independence ;)) and Napoleonics, plus WW2. Also like ancient Rome/Greece as well. I used to be more into Middle Age warfare but haven't gotten much into it lately. I'd like to, but just too busy.
same as you. the american civil war and napoleonic wars. ww1 and ww2 to an extent as well.

though i'm just as interested in the political aspects of the wars as the militaristic aspects.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

While I don't care much about the Confederates and their ideals... I have to admit Robert E. Lee is arguably Top 10 when it comes to American generals. Guy was a pretty big badass and if he had the resources of the North than he could have won the war pretty easily, imo.
Yeah, Lee was loyal to Virginia more so than either "side" of the fight. Lee arguably top 10 of American generals? Who are 10 who are better?

He is top 5, possibly #1. Lee with the North's resources would be incredible.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts

yes, he fought because virginia fought. he was offered command of the north's armies but declined. it has also been said that he was opposed to slavery and would have set his slaves free once he inherited his father's estate.

all the north needed was a bold and competent commander like lee. instead they had a bunch of morons. lee kept the south going for quite a while, although it is becoming more of an accepted opinion that he blundered at gettysburg and after that it was pretty much a matter of time.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, he fought because virginia fought. he was offered command of the north's armies but declined. it has also been said that he was opposed to slavery and would have set his slaves free once he inherited his father's estate.

all the north needed was a bold and competent commander like lee. instead they had a bunch of morons. lee kept the south going for quite a while, although it is becoming more of an accepted opinion that he blundered at gettysburg and after that it was pretty much a matter of time.
Yup, all true.

Gettysburg did not go well, but things were looking bleak by that point anyways and he had to start taking major risks.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
Used to date a guy related to Robert E Lee; his kind called it " The War of Northern Aggression". He was really into the history;I was really not into it. Relationship did not last long;)

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I owned a gun once, miss a bunny the one time I fired it

does that count

?
I fired a gun once! :eek: Two guns actually. One pistol with biathlon ammo and a revolver with proper ammo. It was scary just holding the gun in my hand. I was quite aware that it could tear someone up inside. :scared: The power of the gun was just really intimidating. I didn't like it and was uncomfortable the whole time.

I kept thinking "don't shoot yourself in the foot". :eek:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fired a gun once! :eek: Two guns actually. One pistol with biathlon ammo and a revolver with proper ammo. It was scary just holding the gun in my hand. I was quite aware that it could tear someone up inside. :scared: The power of the gun was just really intimidating. I didn't like it and was uncomfortable the whole time.

I kept thinking "don't shoot yourself in the foot". :eek:
:lol: I hope whoever gave them to you instructed you properly in safety. Once you're comfortable with them and know how to use them safely, they're just like any tool. No different than holding a knife in that sense. Love that BOOM

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
:lol: I hope whoever gave them to you instructed you properly in safety. Once you're comfortable with them and know how to use them safely, they're just like any tool. No different than holding a knife in that sense. Love that BOOM
The person who gave them to me had actually managed to shoot himself in the foot - twice. He gave me some important instructions; "just don't aim it at anyone... or yourself".

I was startled by how unpleasantly loud thath BOOM was. :scared:

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
:lol:

typical Swedish, last time they had a war the Monroe Doctrine hadn't even been thought up

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The person who gave them to me had actually managed to shoot himself in the foot - twice. He gave me some important instructions; "just don't aim it at anyone... or yourself".

I was startled by how unpleasantly loud thath BOOM was. :scared:
Number one rule of guns is safety, just like driving :yeah:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts