Votes: 5 11.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 88.4%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I was a train station or a public square, got frustrated by something, and threw my telephone at full force at the floor or a wall, without any regard for where it landed or who it hurt, I'd probably be arrested whether it hit someone or not. Why do tennis players only seem to get punished when they hit someone?

Someone reminded me of an incident in the 1980s when a wayward serve by Stefan Edberg hit a line judge, triggering a heart attack and killing him. Imagine Djokovic triggered a fatal heart attack in the line judge he hit. Imagine the consequences for him and the sport.

The bottom line is he wouldn't have done it at all if he knew he'd get disqualified whether he hit someone or not. If it could potentially injure someone, that should be enough.

·
Premium Member
21,530 Posts
If I was a train station or a public square, got frustrated by something, and threw my telephone at full force at the floor or a wall, without any regard for where it landed or who it hurt, I'd probably be arrested whether it hit someone or not.
What? Can you name an example of an arrest over broken phone

·
justice for all
16,818 Posts
Well, it's an interesting question.

I'm not fully supportive of this idea (because I sort of like the entertainment factor connected with epic meltdowns featuring breaking rackets etc.) but... I believe a bit more culture, respect and savoir vivre on court would be welcome.

One thing I truly hate is ball kids abuse - that should be eliminated and punished as such.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
It would be sufficient if the umpires were more consequent giving warnings. That would stop most players from doing this.
Look at the highlights of the Djokovic-Carreno Busta match, at 2:38:
Here, the umpire should have given Djokovic a warning. And if he had, pretty likely Djokovic would have been more careful afterwards.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Yes and also every serve beyond 160 km/h please, they are probably the biggest threat to linespeople and ballkids.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I would say this kind of behavior should lead to at least a warning, and possibly a penalty. But if it's repeated several times in a match, then a disqualification may be warranted.

Your main point, of course, seems to be that the officials should not just let this type of behavior slide simply because no one is injured, and I agree completely.

I wish that you had included a third option in the poll for this sort of middle ground.

·
Registered
12,580 Posts
It would be sufficient if the umpires were more consequent giving warnings. That would stop most players from doing this.
Look at the highlights of the Djokovic-Carreno Busta match, at 2:38:
Here, the umpire should have given Djokovic a warning. And if he had, pretty likely Djokovic would have been more careful afterwards.
True, most of us were shocked in the live commentary thread that Djokovic didn't recieve a well deserved warning there. Like you said, with a warning he probably wouldn't have done what he did after he lost his serve.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
They should do like the NHL and allow fights. In this case, the player and coach (or personal trainer) should duke it out for a few minutes, blow off steam and come back ready to go.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Hell no lol, temper tantrums are entertaining as fuck and if they do it far away from people, they ain’t putting anyone at risk. If they hit a ball or smash a racquet near someone, then yes they should get penalized for that and of course dqed for hitting someone.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
If I was a train station or a public square, got frustrated by something, and threw my telephone at full force at the floor or a wall, without any regard for where it landed or who it hurt, I'd probably be arrested whether it hit someone or not. Why do tennis players only seem to get punished when they hit someone?

Someone reminded me of an incident in the 1980s when a wayward serve by Stefan Edberg hit a line judge, triggering a heart attack and killing him. Imagine Djokovic triggered a fatal heart attack in the line judge he hit. Imagine the consequences for him and the sport.

The bottom line is he wouldn't have done it at all if he knew he'd get disqualified whether he hit someone or not. If it could potentially injure someone, that should be enough.
The governing body should also ban serves, groundstrokes, volleys and any other shot such as a drop shot which occurs when a player attempts to strike the ball with their racket.

One of these shots could quite easily be shanked, or misdirected, inducing a heart attack in a lines judge.

This poor lady is lucky that she did not go into cardiac arrest, or even something like anaphylactic shock - she may be allergic to tennis balls.

Let's take all personality out of the sport. Any facial expressions which deviate away from the player's default facial expression as demonstrated on their tournament 'facial expression card', should result in a code violation. Any speaking should result in an immediate game penalty. Any gesturing with the arms should result in a 'set penalty'.

If a player is to break a racket, they should be lined up outside in the car park for all remaining players in the draw to fire a ball at their throat.

And so on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe the best idea is to cancel tennis as a sport completely. Serves, forehand winners.. Those balls fly incredibly fast. They could seriously injure somebody. This is 2020 after all, cancelling this sport as a whole wouldn't be surprising.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What? Can you name an example of an arrest over broken phone
No I'm not going to trawl through newspapers looking for specific examples. I'm not sure what it's like in Serbia, but if you went to Victoria Station in London and threw a phone across the concourse and narrowly missed hitting somebody in the face, the British Transport Police would wrestle you to the ground.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts